- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Orthopedics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 943495, 4 pages
Infection Rates in Open Fractures of the Tibia: Is the 6-Hour Rule Fact or Fiction?
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Wellington Public Hospital, 8D/39 Taranaki Street, Te Aro, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
Received 7 June 2011; Revised 28 July 2011; Accepted 22 August 2011
Academic Editor: Robert F. Ostrum
Copyright © 2011 Ameya S. Kamat. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. M. Werner, Y. Pierpont, and A. N. Pollak, “The urgency of surgical débridement in the management of open fractures,” The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 369–375, 2008.
- D. A. Bednar and J. Parikh, “Effect of time delay from injury to primary management on the incidence of deep infection after open fractures of the lower extremities caused by blunt trauma in adults,” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 532–535, 1993.
- A. N. Pollak, “Timing of débridement of open fractures,” The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, vol. 14, supplement 10, pp. S48–S51, 2006.
- P. L. Friedrich, “Die aseptische Versorgung frischer Wundern,” Langenbecks Archiv fur Klinische Chirurgie, vol. 57, pp. 288–310, 1898.
- M. C. Robson, W. F. Duke, and T. J. Krizek, “Rapid bacterial screening in the treatment of civilian wounds,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 426–430, 1973.
- N. Pollak, A. L. Jones, R. C. Castillo, M. J. Bosse, and E. J. MacKenzie, “The relationship between time to surgical débridement and incidence of infection after open high-energy lower extremity trauma,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 7–15, 2010.
- R. B. Gustilo and J. T. Anderson, “Prevention of infection in the treatment of one thousand and twenty five open fractures of long bones: retrospective and prospective analyses,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 453–458, 1976.
- R. B. Gustilo, R. M. Mendoza, and D. N. Williams, “Problems in the management of type III (severe) open fractures: a new classification of type III open fractures,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 742–746, 1984.
- R. U. Ashford, J. A. Mehta, and R. Cripps, “Delayed presentation is no barrier to satisfactory outcome in the management of open tibial fractures,” Injury, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 411–416, 2004.
- K. Kindsfater and E. A. Jonassen, “Osteomyelitis in grade II and III open tibia fractures with late debridement,” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 121–127, 1995.
- H. J. Kreder and P. Armstrong, “A review of open tibia fractures in children,” Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 482–488, 1995.