- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Orthopedics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 528423, 6 pages
Surgical Treatment of Articular Cartilage Defects in the Knee: Are We Winning?
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Waterford Regional Hospital, Waterford, Ireland
Received 9 January 2012; Accepted 6 March 2012
Academic Editor: Yukiyoshi Toritsuka
Copyright © 2012 A. R. Memon and J. F. Quinlan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Haasper, J. Zeichen, R. Meister, C. Krettek, and M. Jagodzinski, “Tissue engineering of osteochondral constructs in vitro using bioreactors,” Injury, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 66–76, 2008.
- K. Hjelle, E. Solheim, T. Strand, R. Muri, and M. Brittberg, “Articular cartilage defects in 1,000 knee arthroscopies,” Arthroscopy, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 730–734, 2002.
- A. Aroen, S. Loken, S. Heir et al., “Articular cartilage lesions in 993 consecutive knee arthroscopies,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 211–215, 2004.
- M. R. Shah, K. M. Kaplan, R. J. Meislin, and J. A. Bosco, “Articular cartilage restoration of the knee,” Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 51–60, 2007.
- W. W. Curl, J. Krome, E. S. Gordon, J. Rushing, B. P. Smith, and G. G. Poehling, “Cartilage injuries: a review of 31,516 knee arthroscopies,” Arthroscopy, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 456–460, 1997.
- W. Hunter, “Of the structure and disease of articulating cartilages,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, vol. 42B, pp. 514–521, 1743.
- H. J. Mankin, “The response of articular cartilage to mechanical injury,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 460–466, 1982.
- M. A. Davis, W. H. Ettinger, J. M. Neuhaus, S. A. Cho, and W. W. Hauck, “The association of knee injury and obesity with unilateral and bilateral osteoarthritis of the knee,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 278–288, 1989.
- A. Sahlström, O. Johnell, and I. Redlund-Johnell, “The natural course of arthrosis of the knee,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 340, pp. 152–157, 1997.
- G. Bentley and T. Minas, “Science, medicine, and the future. Treating joint damage in young people,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7249, pp. 1585–1588, 2000.
- P. Mainil-Varlet, T. Aigner, M. Brittberg et al., “Histological assessment of cartilage repair: a report by the Histology Endpoint Committee of the International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS),” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 45–57, 2003.
- B. R. Mandelbaum, J. E. Browne, F. Fu et al., “Articular cartilage lesions of the knee,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 853–861, 1998.
- I. Henderson, P. Lavigne, H. Valenzuela, and B. Oakes, “Autologous chondrocyte implantation: superior biologic properties of hyaline cartilage repairs,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 455, pp. 253–261, 2007.
- B. F. Leeb, H. Schweitzer, K. Montag, and J. S. Smolen, “A metaanalysis of chondroitin sulfate in the treatment of osteoarthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 205–211, 2000.
- R. C. Schenck Jr, “New approaches to the treatment of osteoarthritis: oral glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate,” Instructional Course Lectures, vol. 49, pp. 491–494, 2000.
- B. Mazieres, B. Combe, A. P. Van, J. Tondut, and M. Grynfeltt, “Chondroitin sulfate in osteoarthritis of the knee: a prospective, double blind, placebo controlled multicenter clinical study,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 173–181, 2001.
- L. Farnworth, “Osteochondral defects of the knee,” Orthopedics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 146–157, 2000.
- J. R. Steadman, W. G. Rodkey, K. K. Briggs, and J. J. Rodrigo, “The microfracture technic in the management of complete cartilage defects in the knee joint,” Orthopade, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 26–32, 1999.
- J. R. Steadman, K. K. Briggs, J. J. Rodrigo, M. S. Kocher, T. J. Gill, and W. G. Rodkey, “Outcomes of microfracture for traumatic chondral defects of the knee: average 11-year follow-up,” Arthroscopy, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 477–484, 2003.
- P. C. Kreuz, C. Erggelet, M. R. Steinwachs et al., “Is microfracture of chondral defects in the knee associated with different results in patients aged 40 years or younger?” Arthroscopy, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1180–1186, 2006.
- L. Hangody, G. Kish, Z. Karpati, I. Szerb, and I. Udvarhelyi, “Arthroscopic autogenous osteochondral mosaicplasty for the treatment of femoral condylar articular defects. A preliminary report,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 262–267, 1997.
- J. G. Lane, J. B. Massie, S. T. Ball et al., “Follow-up of osteochondral plug transfers in a goat model: a 6-month study,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1440–1450, 2004.
- S. Chubinskaya, M. Hurtig, and D. C. Rueger, “OP-1/BMP-7 in cartilage repair,” International Orthopaedics, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 773–781, 2007.
- B. J. Cole, C. Pascual-Garrido, and R. C. Grumet, “Surgical management of articular cartilage defects in the knee,” Instructional Course Lectures, vol. 59, pp. 181–204, 2010.
- L. Hangody, G. Vasarhelyi, L. R. Hangody, et al., “Autologous osteochondral grafting—technique and long-term results,” Injury, vol. 39, supplement 1, pp. S32–S39, 2008.
- R. P. Jakob, T. Franz, E. Gautier, and P. Mainil-Varlet, “Autologous osteochondral grafting in the knee: indication, results, and reflections,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 401, pp. 170–184, 2002.
- J. C. Y. Chow, M. E. Hantes, J. B. Houle, and C. G. Zalavras, “Arthroscopic autogenous osteochondral transplantation for treating knee cartilage defects: a 2- to 5-year follow-up study,” Arthroscopy, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 681–690, 2004.
- G. Bentley, L. C. Biant, R. W. J. Carrington et al., “A prospective, randomised comparison of autologous chondrocyte implantation versus mosaicplasty for osteochondral defects in the knee,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 223–230, 2003.
- U. Horas, D. Pelinkovic, G. Herr, T. Aigner, and R. Schnettler, “Autologous chondrocyte implantation and osteochondral cylinder transplantation in cartilage repair of the knee joint. A prospective, comparative trial,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 185–192, 2003.
- R. F. Laprade and J. C. Botker, “Donor-site morbidity after osteochondral autograft transfer procedures,” Arthroscopy, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. e69–e73, 2004.
- M. Brittberg, A. Lindahl, A. Nilsson, C. Ohlsson, O. Isaksson, and L. Peterson, “Treatment of deep cartilage defects in the knee with autologous chondrocyte transplantation,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 331, no. 14, pp. 889–895, 1994.
- S. D. Gillogly, M. Voight, and T. Blackburn, “Treatment of articular cartilage defects of the knee with autologous chondrocyte implantation,” Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 241–251, 1998.
- L. Peterson, M. Brittberg, I. Kiviranta, E. L. Åkerlund, and A. Lindahl, “Autologous chondrocyte transplantation: biomechanics and long-term durability,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 2–12, 2002.
- B. Dozin, M. Malpeli, R. Cancedda et al., “Comparative evaluation of autologous chondrocyte implantation and mosaicplasty: a multicentered randomized clinical trial,” Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 220–226, 2005.
- D. B. F. Saris, J. Vanlauwe, J. Victor et al., “Characterized chondrocyte implantation results in better structural repair when treating symptomatic cartilage defects of the knee in a randomized controlled trial versus microfracture,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 235–246, 2008.
- G. Knutsen, J. O. Drogset, L. Engebretsen et al., “A randomized trial comparing autologous chondrocyte implantation with microfracture: findings at five years,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 2105–2112, 2007.
- C. R. Gooding, W. Bartlett, G. Bentley, J. A. Skinner, R. Carrington, and A. Flanagan, “A prospective, ranomised study comparing two techniques of autologous chondrocyte implantation for osteochondral defects in the knee: periosteum covered versus type I/III collagen covered,” Knee, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 203–210, 2006.
- W. Bartlett, J. A. Skinner, C. R. Gooding et al., “Autologous chondrocyte implantation versus matrix-induced autologous chondrocyte implantation for osteochondral defects of the knee. A prospective, randomised study,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 640–645, 2005.
- J. Bahuaud, R. C. Maitrot, R. Bouvet, et al., “Implantation of autologous chondrocytes for cartilagenous lesions in young patients. A study of 24 cases,” Chirurgie, vol. 123, no. 6, pp. 568–571, 1998.
- A. J. Goldberg, D. A. Lee, D. L. Bader, and G. Bentley, “Autologous chondrocyte implantation. Culture in a TGF-β-containing medium enhances the re-expression of a chondrocytic phenotype in passaged human chondrocytes in pellet culture,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 128–134, 2005.
- A. Gigante, C. Bevilacqua, M. Cappella, S. Manzotti, and F. Greco, “Engineered articular cartilage: influence of the scaffold on cell phenotype and proliferation,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 713–716, 2003.
- A. Barlic, M. Drobnic, E. Malicev, and N. Kregar-Velikonja, “Quantitative analysis of gene expression in human articular chondrocytes assigned for autologous implantation,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 847–853, 2008.
- M. Masri, G. Lombardero, C. Velasquillo et al., “Matrix-encapsulation cell-seeding technique to prevent cell detachment during arthroscopic implantation of matrix-induced autologous chondrocytes,” Arthroscopy, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 877–883, 2007.
- J. M. Pestka, H. Schmal, G. Salzmann, J. Hecky, N. P. Südkamp, and P. Niemeyer, “In vitro cell quality of articular chondrocytes assigned for autologous implantation in dependence of specific patient characteristics,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, vol. 131, no. 6, pp. 779–789, 2011.
- F. Dell'Accio, J. Vanlauwe, J. Bellemans, J. Neys, C. De Bari, and F. P. Luyten, “Expanded phenotypically stable chondrocytes persist in the repair tissue and contribute to cartilage matrix formation and structural integration in a goat model of autologous chondrocyte implantation,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 123–131, 2003.
- J. R. Ebert, W. B. Robertson, J. Woodhouse et al., “Clinical and magnetic resonance imaging-based outcomes to 5 years after matrix-induced autologous chondrocyte implantation to address articular cartilage defects in the knee,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 753–763, 2011.
- A. Hirschmuller, H. Baur, S. Braun, P. C. Kreuz, N. P. Sudkamp, and P. Niemeyer, “Rehabilitation after autologous chondrocyte implantation for isolated cartilage defects of the knee,” The American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 2686–2696, 2011.
- B. Wondrasch, L. Zak, G. H. Welsch, and S. Marlovits, “Effect of accelerated weightbearing after matrix-associated autologous chondrocyte implantation on the femoral condyle on radiographic and clinical outcome after 2 years: a prospective, randomized controlled pilot study,” The American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 37, supplement 1, pp. 88S–96S, 2009.
- P. Behrens, T. Bitter, B. Kurz, and M. Russlies, “Matrix-associated autologous chondrocyte transplantation/implantation (MACT/MACI)-5-year follow-up,” Knee, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 194–202, 2006.
- A. Ventura, A. Memeo, E. Borgo, C. Terzaghi, C. Legnani, and W. Albisetti, “Repair of osteochondral lesions in the knee by chondrocyte implantation using the MACI technique,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 121–126, 2012.
- U. Schneider, L. Rackwitz, S. Andereya, et al., “A prospective multicenter study on the outcome of type I collagen hydrogel-based autologous chondrocyte implantation (CaReS) for the repair of articular cartilage defects in the knee,” The American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 2558–2565, 2011.
- F. Zeifang, D. Oberle, C. Nierhoff, W. Richter, B. Moradi, and H. Schmitt, “Autologous chondrocyte implantation using the original periosteum-cover technique versus matrix-associated autologous chondrocyte implantation: a randomized clinical trial,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 924–933, 2010.
- M. Manfredini, F. Zerbinati, A. Gildone, and R. Faccini, “Autologous chondrocyte implantation: a comparison between an open periosteal-covered and an arthroscopic matrix-guided technique,” Acta Orthopaedica Belgica, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 207–218, 2007.
- M. F. Pietschmann, T. R. Niethammer, A. Horng, et al., “The incidence and clinical relevance of graft hypertrophy after matrix-based autologous chondrocyte implantation,” The American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 68–74, 2012.
- B. Marquass, R. Schulz, P. Hepp et al., “Matrix-associated implantation of predifferentiated mesenchymal stem cells versus articular chondrocytes: in vivo results of cartilage repair after 1 year,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 1401–1412, 2011.