- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Optical Technologies
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 754546, 11 pages
High-Quality Growth of GaInNAs for Application to Near-Infrared Laser Diodes
Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamada-oka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Received 27 June 2012; Accepted 4 September 2012
Academic Editor: Marija Strojnik
Copyright © 2012 Masahiko Kondow and Fumitaro Ishikawa. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Kondow, K. Uomi, A. Niwa, T. Kitatani, S. Watahiki, and Y. Yazawa, “A novel material of GaInNAs for long-wavelength-range laser diodes with excellent high-temperature performance,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Solid State Devices and Materials, Osaka, Japan, 1995.
- M. Kondow, K. Uomi, A. Niwa, T. Kitatani, S. Watahiki, and Y. Yazawa, “GaInNAs: a novel material for long-wavelength-range laser diodes with excellent high-temperature performance,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 1, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 1273–1275, 1996.
- J. N. Baillargeon, K. Y. Cheng, G. E. Hofler, P. J. Pearch, and C. Heigh:, “Luminescence quenching and the formation of the Ga alloy in GaP with increasing nitrogen content,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 60, article 2540, 3 pages, 1992.
- O. Igarashi, “Heteroepitaxial growth of Ga on sapphire substrates,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 31, article 3791, 1992.
- S. Miyoshi, H. Yaguchi, K. Onabe, R. Ito, and Y. Shiraki, “Metalorganic vapor phase epitaxy of Ga alloys on GaP,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 63, no. 25, pp. 3506–3508, 1993.
- M. Sato and M. Weyers, “GaAsN alloys: growth and optical properties,” in Proceedings of the 19th International Symposium on GaAs and Related Compound Semiconductors, vol. 129 of Institute of Physics Conference, pp. 555–560, Bristol and Philadelphia: Institute of Physics, Karuizawa, Japan, 1992.
- M. Kondow, K. Uomi, K. Hosomi, and T. Mozume, “Gas-source molecular beam epitaxy of Ga using a N radical as the N source,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 2, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. L1056–L1058, 1994.
- S. Sato, “Room temperature operation of InGaNAs/InGaP DH lasers grown by MOCVD,” in Proceedings of the 57th Autumn Meeting Japan Society of Applied Physics, p. 951, Fukuoka, Japan, 1996.
- M. Kondow, T. Kitatani, M. C. Larson, K. Nakahara, K. Uomi, and H. Inoue, “Gas-source MBE of GaInNAs for long-wavelength laser diodes,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 188, no. 1–4, pp. 255–259, 1998.
- S. Sakai, Y. Ueta, and Y. Terauchi, “Band gap energy and band lineup of III-V alloy semiconductors incorporating nitrogen and boron,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 1, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 4413–4417, 1993.
- J. C. Phillips, Bonds and Bands in Semiconductors, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1973.
- T. Kitatanl, M. Kondow, T. Klkawa, Y. Yazawa, M. Okai, and K. Uomi, “Analysis of band offset in GaNAs/GaAs by x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 1, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 5003–5006, 1999.
- S. A. Ding, S. R. Barman, K. Horn et al., “Valence band discontinuity at a cubic GaN/GaAs heterojunction measured by synchrotron-radiation photoemission spectroscopy,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 70, no. 18, pp. 2407–2409, 1997.
- S. Sakai and T. Abe, “Band lineup of nitride-alloy heterostructures,” in Proceedings of the 41st Spring Meeting of the Japan Society of Applied Physics, p. 186, Tokyo, Japan, 1994.
- M. Kondow, S. Fujisaki, S. Shirakata, T. Ikari, and T. Kitatani, “Electron effective mass of Ga0. 7In0. 3,” in Proceedings of the 30th International Symposium on Compound Semiconductors, MB 3.8, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2003.
- C. Skierbiszewski, P. Perlin, P. Wisniewski et al., “Effect of nitrogen-induced modification of the conduction band structure on electron transport in GaAsN alloys,” Physica Status Solidi B, vol. 216, no. 1, pp. 135–139, 1999.
- Z. Pan, L. H. Li, Y. W. Lin, B. Q. Sun, D. S. Jiang, and W. K. Ge, “Conduction band offset and electron effective mass in GaInNAs/GaAs quantum-well structures with low nitrogen concentration,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 78, no. 15, pp. 2217–2219, 2001.
- M. Hetterich, M. D. Dawson, A. Y. Egorov, D. Bernklau, and H. Riechert, “Electronic states and band alignment in GalnNAs/GaAs quantum-well structures with low nitrogen content,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 76, no. 8, pp. 1030–1032, 2000.
- M. C. Larson, M. Kondow, T. Kitatani et al., “GaInNAs-GaAs long-wavelength vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser diodes,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 188–190, 1998.
- M. Kondow, T. Kitatani, K. Nakahara, and T. Tanaka, “A 1.3-μm GaInNAs laser diode with a lifetime of over 1000 hours,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 2, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. L1355–L1356, 1999.
- J. Jewell, L. Graham, M. Crom et al., “Commercial GaInNAs VCSELs grown by MBE,” Physica Status Solidi C, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 2951–2956, 2008.
- I. Buyanova and W. Chen, Physics and Applications of Dilute Nitrides, Taylor & Francis, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- N. Tansu, J. Y. Yeh, and L. J. Mawst, “Low-threshold 1317-nm InGaAsN quantum-well lasers with GaAsN barriers,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 83, no. 13, pp. 2512–2514, 2003.
- S. M. Wang, Y. Q. Wei, X. D. Wang, Q. X. Zhao, M. Sadeghi, and A. Larsson, “Very low threshold current density 1.3 μm GaInNAs single-quantum well lasers grown by molecular beam epitaxy,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 278, no. 1–4, pp. 734–738, 2005.
- R. Fehse, S. Jin, S. J. Sweeney et al., “Evidence for large monomolecular recombination contribution to threshold current in 1.3 μm GaInNAs semiconductor lasers,” Electronics Letters, vol. 37, no. 25, pp. 1518–1520, 2001.
- S. Nakatsuka, M. Kondow, M. Aoki, M. Kudo, T. Kitatani, and S. Tsuji, “Amplified spontaneous emission measurement of GaInNAs laser wafers with and without rapid thermal annealing,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 2, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. L1012–L1014, 2003.
- T. Takeuchi, Y. L. Chang, M. Leary et al., “Al contamination in InGaAsN quantum wells grown by metalorganic chemical vapor deposition and 1.3 μm InGaAsN vertical cavity surface emitting lasers,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 1, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1260–1263, 2004.
- T. Takahashi, M. Kaminishi, N. Jikutani, A. Itoh, and S. Sato, “Improvement of the optical property of 1 step MOCVD grown GaInNAs/GaAs MQW on AlGaAs cladding layer,” in Procedings of the 64th Autumn Meeting of the Japan Society of Applied Physics, 1p-K-18, Fukuoka, Japan, 2003.
- P. Sundgren, C. Asplund, K. Baskar, and M. Hammar, “Morphological instability of GaInNAs quantum wells on Al-containing layers grown by metalorganic vapor-phase epitaxy,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 82, no. 15, pp. 2431–2433, 2003.
- M. Kondow, M. Kudo, S. Tanaka, S. Fujisaki, and K. Nakahara, “Residual impurities in MBE-grown GaInNAs laser diodes,” in Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Molecular Beam Epitaxy, TuC2.5, Edinburgh, UK, 2004.
- T. Kitatani, M. Kondow, and T. Tanaka, “Molecular beam epitaxy of GaInNAs by using solid source arsenic,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 227-228, pp. 521–526, 2001.
- F. Ishikawa, S. D. Wu, M. Kato, M. Uchiyama, K. Higashi, and M. Kondow, “Unintentional aluminum incorporation related to the introduction of nitrogen gas during the plasma-assisted molecular beam epitaxy,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 311, no. 7, pp. 1646–1649, 2009.
- F. Ishikawa, S. Wu, M. Kato, M. Uchiyama, K. Higashi, and M. Kondow, “Unintentional source incorporation in plasma-assisted molecular beam epitaxy,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 48, no. 12, Article ID 125501, 2009.
- J. Schmitz, J. Wagner, M. Maier, H. Obloh, P. Koidl, and J. D. Ralston, “Unintentional As incorporation in molecular beam epitaxially grown InAs/AlSb/GaSb heterostructures,” Journal of Electronic Materials, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1203–1207, 1994.
- C. E. C. Wood, T. M. Kerr, T. D. McLean et al., “State-of-the-art AlGaAs alloys by antimony doping,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 1300–1305, 1986.
- K. Adachi, K. Nakahara, J. Kasai et al., “Low-threshold GaInNAs single-quantum-well lasers with emission wavelength over 1.3μm,” Electronics Letters, vol. 42, no. 23, pp. 1354–1355, 2006.
- S. R. Bank, H. Bae, L. L. Goddard et al., “Recent progress on 1.55-μm dilute-nitride lasers,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 773–785, 2007.
- M. A. Wistey, S. R. Bank, H. B. Yuen, L. L. Goddard, and J. S. Harris, “GaInNAs(Sb) vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers at 1.460 μm,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 1562–1564, 2004.