- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 890346, 5 pages
Decomposition of S-Nitrosothiols Induced by UV and Sunlight
1School of Chemical Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala 686-560, India
2Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, William Levine Hall, Rutgers University, NJ 08854, USA
Received 21 June 2009; Accepted 12 October 2009
Academic Editor: Michael D. Sevilla
Copyright © 2009 Manoj M. Veleeparampil et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Keshive, S. Singh, J. S. Wishnok, S. R. Tannenbaum, and W. M. Deen, “Kinetics of S-nitrosation of thiols in nitric oxide solutions,” Chemical Research in Toxicology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 988–993, 1996.
- V. M. Manoj and C. T. Aravindakumar, “Reaction of hydroxyl radicals with S-nitrosothiols: determination of rate constants and end product analysis,” Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 1171–1175, 2003.
- V. M. Manoj and C. T. Aravindakumar, “Hydroxyl radical induced decomposition of S-nitrosoglutathione,” Chemical Communications, no. 23, pp. 2361–2362, 2000.
- L. Heikal, G. P. Martin, and L. A. Dailey, “Characterisation of the decomposition behaviour of S-nitrosoglutathione and a new class of analogues: S-nitrosophytochelatins,” Nitric Oxide—Biology and Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 157–165, 2009.
- L. A. Peterson, T. Wagener, H. Sies, and W. Stahl, “Decomposition of S-nitrosocysteine via S- To N-transnitrosation,” Chemical Research in Toxicology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 721–723, 2007.
- S. Hwang and M. E. Meyerhoff, “Organoditelluride-mediated catalytic S-nitrosothiol decomposition,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 15, pp. 1462–1465, 2007.
- V. M. Manoj, H. Mohan, U. K. Aravind, and C. T. Aravindakumar, “One-electron reduction of S-nitrosothiols in aqueous medium,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1240–1246, 2006.
- M. D. Bartberger, J. D. Mannion, S. C. Powell, J. S. Stamler, K. N. Houk, and E. J. Toone, “S-N dissociation energies of S-nitrosothiols: on the origins of nitrosothiol decomposition rates,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 123, no. 36, pp. 8868–8869, 2001.
- J.-M. Lü, J. M. Wittbrodt, K. Wang, et al., “NO affinities of S-nitrosothiols: a direct experimental and computational investigation of RS-NO bond dissociation energies,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 123, no. 12, pp. 2903–2904, 2001.
- J. Barrett, L. J. Fitzgibbons, J. Glauser, R. H. Still, and P. N. W. Young, “Photochemistry of the S-nitroso derivatives of hexane-l-thiol and hexane-l,6-dithiol,” Nature, vol. 211, no. 5051, p. 848, 1966.
- P. D. Wood, B. Mutus, and R. W. Redmond, “The mechanism of photochemical release of nitric oxide from S-nitrosoglutathione,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 518–524, 1996.
- R. J. Singh, N. Hogg, J. Joseph, and B. Kalyanaraman, “Photosensitized decomposition of S-nitrosothiols and 2-methyl-2-nitrosopropane possible use for site-directed nitric oxide production,” FEBS Letters, vol. 360, no. 1, pp. 47–51, 1995.
- V. R. Zhelyaskov, K. R. Gee, and D. W. Godwin, “Control of NO concentration in solutions of nitrosothiol compounds by light,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 282–288, 1998.
- D. J. Sexton, A. Muruganandam, D. J. McKenney, and B. Mutus, “Visible light photochemical release of nitric oxide from S-nitrosoglutathione: potential photochemotherapeutic applications,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 463–467, 1994.
- S. P. Singh, J. S. Wishnok, M. Keshive, W. M. Deen, and S. R. Tannenbaum, “The chemistry of the S-nitrosoglutathione/glutathione system,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 25, pp. 14428–14433, 1996.
- R. J. Singh, N. Hogg, J. Joseph, and B. Kalyanaraman, “Mechanism of nitric oxide release from S-nitrosothiols,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 31, pp. 18596–18603, 1996.
- T. W. Hart, “Some observations concerning the S-nitroso and S-phenylsulphonyl derivatives of L-cysteine and glutathione,” Tetrahedron Letters, vol. 26, no. 16, pp. 2013–2016, 1985.
- B. S. Wolfenden and R. L. Willson, “Radical-cations as reference chromogens in kinetic studies of one-electron transfer reactions: pulse radiolysis studies of 2,-azinobis-(3-ethylbenzthiazoline-6-sulphonate),” Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions 2, no. 7, pp. 805–812, 1982.
- M. Quintiliani, R. Badiello, M. Tamba, A. Esfandi, and G. Gorin, “Radiolysis of glutathione in oxygen-containing solutions of pH7,” International Journal of Radiation Biology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 195–202, 1977.
- S. M. Shishido and M. G. de Oliveira, “Polyethylene glycol matrix reduces the rates of photochemical and thermal release of nitric oxide from S-nitroso-N-acetylcysteine,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 273–280, 2000.