- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 502709, 11 pages
Adhesion on Nanoorganized Multilayers: Surface Thermodynamics and Local Energy Dissipation
1Faculty of Sciences, Lebanese University, Hadath, BP 13-5789, Beirut, Lebanon
2Institute of Condensed Matter and Nanosciences - Bio & Soft Matter (IMCN-BSMA), Universitè Catholique de Louvain, Croix du Sud 1 box 4, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
3Institut de Chimie des Surfaces et Interfaces, CNRS, 15 Rue Jean Starcky, BP 2488, 68057 Mulhouse, France
Received 4 December 2009; Revised 12 April 2010; Accepted 14 June 2010
Academic Editor: Samir K. Pal
Copyright © 2010 Yolla Kazzi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. H. Wetzel, “The characterization of pressure-sensitive adhesives,” ASTM Bulletin, no. 221, pp. 64–68, 1957.
- W. Smitthipong, M. Nardin, J. Schultz, T. Nipithakul, and K. Suchiva, “Study of tack properties of uncrosslinked natural rubber,” Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1449–1463, 2004.
- A. Aymonier, E. Papon, G. Castelein, M. Brogly, and P. Tordjeman, “Influence of surface and bulk structures of acrylic PSA films onto their tack properties,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 268, no. 2, pp. 341–347, 2003.
- A. Aymonier, D. Leclercq, P. Tordjeman, E. Papon, and J.-J. Villenave, “Control of structure and tack properties of acrylic pressure-sensitive adhesives designed by a polymerization process,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 2749–2756, 2003.
- A. E. O'Connor and N. Willenbacher, “The effect of molecular weight and temperature on tack properties of model polyisobutylenes,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 335–346, 2004.
- N. Morel, PH. Tordjeman, J. Duwattez, and E. Papon, “Scaling properties of contact area of pressure-sensitive adhesives,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 280, no. 2, pp. 374–379, 2004.
- A. Chiche, C. Creton, Y. Chen, and V. Studer, “Rôle de la topographie de l'adhérent sur l'adhésion des PSA,” in Proceedings of the "11émes journées d'Etude sur l'adhésion JAD'H, pp. 144–146, October 2001.
- A. N. Gent and J. Schultz, “Effect of wetting liquids on the strength of adhesion of viscoelastic materials,” Journal of Adhesion, vol. 3, pp. 281–294, 1972.
- M. O. David, T. Gerriet, M. Nardin, and J. Schultz, “Nanostructured multilayers and their influence on tack of cross-linked elastomers,” Langmuir, vol. 16, no. 18, pp. 7346–7350, 2000.
- Y. Kazzi, H. Awada, M.-O. David, and M. Nardin, “Characterization of nano-organized multilayers constituted by successive inorganic (gold) and organic (alkylthiols) layers,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 691–697, 2007.
- H. Awada, G. Castelein, and M. Brogly, “Use of chemically modified AFM tips as a powerful tool for the determination of surface energy of functionalised surfaces,” Journal de Physique IV, vol. 124, pp. 129–134, 2005.
- H. Awada, G. Castelein, and M. Brogly, “Quantitative determination of surface energy using atomic force microscopy: the case of hydrophobic/hydrophobic contact and hydrophilic/hydrophilic contact,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 755–764, 2005.
- A. W. Neumann and R. J. Good, Surface and Colloid Science, R. J. Good and R. Stronberg, Eds., Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1979.
- D. L. Allara, A. F. Hebrad, F. J. Padden, R. G. Nuzzo, and D. R. Falcone, “Chemically induced enhancement of nucleation in noble metal deposition,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 376–382, 1982.
- R. M. A. Azzam and N. M. Bashara, Ellipsometry and Polarized Light, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1977.
- K. L. Johnson, K. Kendall, and A. D. Roberts, “Surface energy and the contact of elastic solids,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 324, no. 1558, pp. 301–313, 1971.
- M. O. David, T. Nipithakul, M. Nardin, J. Schultz, and K. Suchiva, “Influence of nonrubber constituents on tack of natural rubber. I. At very short times of contact (pendulum test),” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 78, no. 8, pp. 1486–1494, 2000.
- D. J. Dunaway and R. L. McCarley, “Scanning force microscopy studies of enhanced metal nucleation: au vapor deposited on self-assembled monolayers of substituted silanes,” Langmuir, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 3598–3606, 1994.
- F. M. Fowkes, Contact Angle : Wettability and Adhesion, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, USA, 1964.
- R. J. Puddephat, The Chemistry of Gold, vol. 16 of Topics in Inorganic and General Chemistry, R. J. H. Clark, Ed., Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1978.
- D. H. Kaebele and K. C. Uy, “Reinterpretation of organic liquid-polytetrafluoroethylene surface interactions,” The Journal of Adhesion, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 50–60, 1970.
- S. S. Voiutskii, Autohesion and Adhesion of High Polymers, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1963.
- T. K. Bhaumik, A. K. Bhowmick, and B. R. Gupta, “Tack and green strength of EPDM and Bromobutyl rubber, PII unfilled Blends,” Journal of Adhesion, vol. 24, pp. 183–198, 1987.
- A. Sarkar, M. L. Mukherjee, and A. K. Bhowmick, “Tack and diffusion of silicone and EPDM rubbers,” Journal of Materials Science Letters, vol. 11, no. 13, pp. 924–927, 1992.
- K. P. O'Connor and T. C. B. McLeish, ““Molecular velcro”: dynamics of a constrained chain into an elastomer network,” Macromolecules, vol. 26, no. 26, pp. 7322–7325, 1993.