- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 679246, 10 pages
Sequential Electrodeposition of Platinum-Ruthenium at Boron-Doped Diamond Electrodes for Methanol Oxidation
1Department of Chemistry, University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus, P.O. Box 70377, San Juan, PR 00936-8377, USA
2Center for Advanced Nanoscale Materials, University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus, P.O. Box 70377, San Juan, PR 00936-8377, USA
Received 5 April 2011; Revised 11 July 2011; Accepted 18 July 2011
Academic Editor: Milan M. Jaksic
Copyright © 2011 Ileana González-González et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Reddington, A. Sapienza, B. Gurau et al., “Combinatorial electrochemistry: a highly parallel, optical screening method for discovery of better electrocatalysts,” Science, vol. 280, no. 5370, pp. 1735–1737, 1998.
- L. Kevin, R. Liu, C. Pu et al., “Methanol oxidation on single-phase Pt-Ru-Os ternary alloys,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 144, no. 5, pp. 1543–1548, 1997.
- H. Zhang, Y. Wang, E. R. Fachini, and C. R. Cabrera, “Electrochemically codeposited platinum/molybdenum oxide electrode for catalytic oxidation of methanol in acid solution,” Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 437–439, 1999.
- S. Mukerjee, S. J. Lee, E. A. Ticianelli et al., “Investigation of enhanced CO tolerance in proton exchange membrane fuel cells by carbon supported PtMo alloy catalyst,” Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 12–15, 1999.
- W. F. Lin, M. S. Zei, M. Eiswirth, G. Ertl, T. Iwasita, and W. Vielstich, “Electrocatalytic activity of Ru-modified Pt(111) electrodes toward CO oxidation,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 103, no. 33, pp. 6968–6977, 1999.
- W. Chrzanowski, H. Kim, and A. Wieckowski, “Enhancement in methanol oxidation by spontaneously deposited ruthenium on low-index platinum electrodes,” Catalysis Letters, vol. 50, pp. 69–75, 1998.
- Y. Takasu, T. Kawaguchi, W. Sugimoto, and Y. Murakami, “Effects of the surface area of carbon support on the characteristics of highly-dispersed Pt-Ru particles as catalysts for methanol oxidation,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 48, no. 25-26, pp. 3861–3868, 2003.
- D. Shanna, K. Knights, M. Colbow, J. St-Pierre, and D. Wilkinson, “Aging mechanisms and lifetime of PEFC and DMFC,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 127, no. 1-2, pp. 127–134, 2004.
- J. Wang and G. M. Swain, “Dimensionally stable Pt/diamond composite electrodes in concentrated H3PO4 at high temperature,” Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. E4–E7, 2002.
- M. Hupert, A. Muck, J. Wang et al., “Conductive diamond thin-films in electrochemistry,” Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 12, no. 10-11, pp. 1940–1949, 2003.
- C. H. Paik, T. D. Jarvi, and W. E. O'Grady, “Extent of PEMFC cathode surface oxidation by oxygen and water measured by CV,” Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. A82–A84, 2004.
- K. H. Kangasniemi, D. A. Condit, and T. D. Jarvi, “Characterization of vulcan electrochemically oxidized under simulated PEM fuel cell conditions,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 151, no. 4, pp. E125–E132, 2004.
- J. Wang, G. M. Swain, T. Tachibana, and K. Kobashi, “Incorporation of Pt particles in boron-doped diamond thin films. Applications in electrocatalysis,” Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 286–289, 2000.
- E. Antolinia, J. R. C. Salgado, R. M. da Silva, and E. R. Gonzalez, “Preparation of carbon supported binary Pt-M alloy catalysts (M = first row transition metals) by low/medium temperature method,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 101, no. 2-3, pp. 395–403, 2007.
- H. X. Huang, S. X. Chen, and C. Yuan, “Platinum nanoparticles supported on activated carbon fiber as catalyst for methanol oxidation,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 175, no. 1, pp. 166–174, 2008.
- G. Che, B. B. Lakshmi, E. R. Fisher, and C. R. Martin, “Carbon nanotubule membranes for electrochemical energy storage and production,” Nature, vol. 393, no. 6683, pp. 346–349, 1998.
- Y. V. Pleskov, Y. E. Evstefeeva, M. D. Krotova et al., “Effect of crystal structure on the electrochemical behaviour of synthetic semiconductor diamond: comparison of growth and a nucleation surfaces of a coarse-grained polycrystalline film,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 909–915, 2003.
- J. S. Gao, T. Arunagiri, J. J. Chen, P. Goodwill, and O. Chyan, “Preparation and characterization of metal nanoparticles on a diamond surface,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 3495–3500, 2000.
- J. A. Bennett and G. M. Swain, “Investigating the nucleation and growth of electrodeposited Pt on polycrystalline diamond electrodes,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 157, no. 8, pp. F89–F95, 2010.
- Developed at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Tex, USA, and available from internet by anonymous FTP from, http://ddsdx.uthscsa.edu/dig/.
- J. F. Moulder, W. F. Stickle, P. E. Sobol, and K. D. Bomben, Handbook of X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy Perkin-Elmer Corporation, Perkin Elmer Corporation, Eden Praire, Minn, USA, 1992.
- A. Fujishima, Y. Einaga, T. Narasinga, and D. A. Tryk, Eds., Diamond Electrochemistry, Elsevier, Tokyo, Japan, 2005.
- F. Pruvost, E. Bustarret, and A. Deneuville, “Characteristics of homoepitaxial heavily boron-doped diamond films from their Raman spectra,” Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 295–299, 2000.
- N. Vinokur, B. Miller, Y. Avyigal, and R. Kalish, “Electrochemical behavior of boron-doped diamond electrodes,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 143, no. 10, pp. L238–L240, 1996.
- O. Enea, B. Riedo, and G. Dietler, “AFM study of Pt clusters electrochemically deposited onto Boron-doped diamond films,” Nano Letters, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 241–244, 2002.
- F. Montilla, E. Morallon, I. Duo, C. Comninellis, and J. L. Vazquez, “Platinum particles deposited on synthetic boron-doped diamond surfaces. Application to methanol oxidatio,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 48, no. 25-26, pp. 3891–3897, 2003.
- J. A. Bennett, Y. Show, S. Wang, and G. M. Swain, “Pulsed galvanostatic deposition of Pt particles on microcrystalline and nanocrystalline diamond thin-film electrodes I. Characterization of as-deposited metal/diamond surfaces,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 152, no. 5, pp. E184–E192, 2005.
- R. Pattabiraman, “Electrochemical characterisation of platinum catalysts on carbon supports for fuel cell applications,” Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 269–273, 1996.
- A. M. Feltham and M. Spiro, “Platinized platinum electrodes,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 177–193, 1971.
- N. Tsubouchi, M. Ogura, H. Kato, et al., “p-type doping by B ion implantation into diamond at elevated temperatures,” Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 157–159, 2006.
- P. John, N. Polwart, C. E. Troupe, and J. I. B. Wilson, “The oxidation of diamond: the geometry and stretching frequency of carbonyl on the (100) surface,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 22, pp. 6600–6601, 2003.
- C. D. Wagner, A. V. Naumkin, A. Kraut-Vass, J. W. Allison, C. J. Powell, and J. R. Rumble, “NIST X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy Database, NIST Standard Reference Database 20,” Version 3.4, (web version) U.S. Department of Commerce.
- T. Kondo, K. Honda, D. A. Tryk, and A. Fujishima, “Covalent modification of single-crystal diamond electrode surfaces,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. E18–E23, 2005.
- I. Gonzalez-Gonzalez, E. R. Fachini, M. A. Scibioh et al., “Facet-selective platinum electrodeposition at free-standing polycrystalline boron-doped diamond films,” Langmuir, vol. 25, no. 17, pp. 10329–10336, 2009.
- W. Chrzanowski and A. Wieckowski, “Surface structure effects in platinum/ruthenium methanol oxidation electrocatalysis,” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 1967–1970, 1998.
- H. A. Gasteiger, N. Marković, P. N. Ross, and E. J. Cairns, “Methanol electrooxidation on well-characterized Pt-Ru alloys,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 97, no. 46, pp. 12020–12029, 1993.
- G. Siné and C. Comninellis, “Nafion®-assisted deposition of microemulsion-synthesized platinum nanoparticles on BDD: activation by electrogenerated ·OH radicals,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 2249–2254, 2005.
- T. A. Enache, A. M. Chiorcea-Paquim, O. Fatibello-Filho, and A. M. Oliveira-Brett, “Hydroxyl radicals electrochemically generated in situ on a boron-doped diamond electrode,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 1342–1345, 2009.
- B. Marselli, J. Garcia-Gomez, P. A. Michaud, M. A. Rodrigo, and C. Comninellis, “Electrogeneration of hydroxyl radicals on boron-doped diamond electrodes,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. D79–D83, 2003.
- S. Desai and M. Neurock, “A first principles analysis of CO oxidation over Pt and Pt 66.7%Ru33.3% (111) surfaces,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 48, no. 25-26, pp. 3759–3773, 2003.
- J. A. Bennett, Y. Show, S. Wang, and G. M. Swain, “Preparation and characterization of boron-doped diamond powder—a possible dimensionally stable electrocatalyst support material,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 152, no. 5, pp. B369–B375, 2005.