- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 786759, 20 pages
(Photo)electrochemical Methods for the Determination of the Band Edge Positions of TiO2-Based Nanomaterials
1Faculty of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Ruhr University Bochum, Universitätstr 150, NC4/073, D-44780 Bochum, Germany
2Materials Research Department, Ruhr University Bochum, D-44801 Bochum, Germany
3Research Department Interfacial Systems Chemistry, Ruhr University Bochum, D-44801 Bochum, Germany
Received 30 September 2011; Accepted 15 December 2011
Academic Editor: Konstantin Neyman
Copyright © 2011 Radim Beranek. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [55 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Michal Bledowski, Lidong Wang, Ayyappan Ramakrishnan, Angelique Betard, Oleksiy V. Khavryuchenko, and Radim Beranek, “Visible-Light Photooxidation of Water to Oxygen at Hybrid TiO2-Polyheptazine Photoanodes with Photodeposited Co-Pi (CoOx) Cocatalyst,” Chemphyschem, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 3018–3024, 2012.
- T. Jesper Jacobsson, and Tomas Edvinsson, “Photoelectrochemical Determination of the Absolute Band Edge Positions as a Function of Particle Size for ZnO Quantum Dots,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 116, no. 29, pp. 15692–15701, 2012.
- Thomas Berger, Damián Monllor-Satoca, Milena Jankulovska, Teresa Lana-Villarreal, and Roberto Gómez, “The Electrochemistry of Nanostructured Titanium Dioxide Electrodes,” ChemPhysChem, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 2824–2875, 2012.
- Marta Haro, Leticia F. Velasco, and Conchi O. Ania, “Carbon-mediated photoinduced reactions as a key factor in the photocatalytic performance of C/TiO2,” Catalysis Science & Technology, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 2264–2272, 2012.
- Ayyappan Ramakrishnan, Susann Neubert, Bastian Mei, Jennifer Strunk, Lidong Wang, Michal Bledowski, Martin Muhler, and Radim Beranek, “Enhanced performance of surface-modified TiO2 photocatalysts prepared via a visible-light photosynthetic route,” Chemical Communications, vol. 48, no. 68, pp. 8556, 2012.
- Michal Bledowski, Lidong Wang, Ayyappan Ramakrishnan, and Radim Beranek, “TiO2-polyheptazine hybrid photoanodes: Effect of cocatalysts and external bias on visible light-driven water splitting,” Journal Of Materials Research, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 411–417, 2013.
- Susann Neubert, Ayyappan Ramakrishnan, Jennifer Strunk, Haoyu Shi, Bastian Mei, Lidong Wang, Michal Bledowski, Dmitrii A. Guschin, Max Kauer, Yuemin Wang, Martin Muhler, and Radim Beranek, “ Surface-Modified TiO 2 Photocatalysts Prepared by a Photosynthetic Route: Mechanism, Enhancement, and Limits ,” ChemPlusChem, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 163–170, 2013.
- Ulugbek Shaislamov, and Bee Lyong Yang, “Single crystalline TiO2 nanorods with enhanced visible light activity for solar hydrogen generation,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 38, no. 33, pp. 14180–14188, 2013.
- Bastian Mei, Harriet Byford, Michal Bledowski, Lidong Wang, Jennifer Strunk, Martin Muhler, and Radim Beranek, “Beneficial effect of Nb doping on the photoelectrochemical properties of TiO2 and TiO2-polyheptazine hybrids,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 117, pp. 48–53, 2013.
- Andreas Bachmeier, Vincent C. C. Wang, Thomas W. Woolerton, Sophie Bell, Juan C. Fontecilla-Camps, Mehmet Can, Stephen W. Ragsdale, Yatendra S. Chaudhary, and Fraser A. Armstrong, “How Light-Harvesting Semiconductors Can Alter the Bias of Reversible Electrocatalysts in Favor of H-2 Production and CO2 Reduction,” Journal of The American Chemical Society, vol. 135, no. 40, pp. 15026–15032, 2013.
- Rong Xu, Yabo Wang, Wei Zhang, and Jindui Hong, “Carbon nitride nanosheets for photocatalytic hydrogen evolution: remarkably enhanced activity by dye sensitization,” Catalysis Science & Technology, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 1703–1711, 2013.
- Roland Marschall, Julia Soldat, and Michael Wark, “Enhanced photocatalytic hydrogen generation from barium tantalate composites,” Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 671, 2013.
- Jan M. Macak, Tomas Kohoutek, Lidong Wang, and Radim Beranek, “Fast and robust infiltration of functional material inside titania nanotube layers: case study of a chalcogenide glass sensitizer,” Nanoscale, vol. 5, no. 20, pp. 9541–9545, 2013.
- A. Videira, C. D. Nunes, M. L. Carvalho, A. Gomes, O. C. Monteiro, and A. B. Lopes, “Pulsed current electrodeposition of Zn-Ag2S/TiO2 nanocomposite films as potential photoelectrodes,” Journal Of Solid State Electrochemistry, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 2349–2359, 2013.
- Prospero Acevedo-Pena, and Ignacio Gonzalez, “TiO2 Nanotubes Formed in Aqueous Media: Relationship between Morphology, Electrochemical Properties and Photoelectrochemical Performance for Water Oxidation,” Journal Of The Electrochemical Society, vol. 160, no. 8, pp. H452–H458, 2013.
- York R. Smith, Rupashree S. Ray, Krista Carlson, Biplab Sarma, and Mano Misra, “Self-Ordered titanium dioxide nanotube arrays: Anodic synthesis and their photo/electro-catalytic applications,” Materials, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 2892–2957, 2013.
- Kacper Pilarczyk, Justyna Derdzinska, Konrad Szacilowski, Wojciech Macyk, and Elzbieta Swietek, “Redox characterization of semiconductors based on electrochemical measurements combined with UV-Vis diffuse reflectance spectroscopy,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 15, no. 34, pp. 14256–14261, 2013.
- Manish Banerjee, Van-Son Dang, Michal Bledowski, Radim Beranek, Hans-Werner Becker, Detlef Rogalla, Eugen Edengeiser, Martina Havenith, Andreas D. Wieck, and Anjana Devi, “MOCVD of TiO2 Thin Films using a Heteroleptic Titanium Complex: Precursor Evaluation and Investigation of Optical, Photoelectrochemical and Electrical Properties,” Chemical Vapor Deposition, vol. 20, no. 7-9, pp. 224–233, 2014.
- Michal Bledowski, Lidong Wang, Susann Neubert, Dariusz Mitoraj, and Radim Beranek, “Improving the Performance of Hybrid Photoanodes for Water Splitting by Photodeposition of Iridium Oxide Nanoparticles,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, pp. 140811161754005, 2014.
- Jonathan Z. Bloh, Andrea Folli, and Donald E. Macphee, “Adjusting Nitrogen Doping Level in Titanium Dioxide by Codoping with Tungsten: Properties and Band Structure of the Resulting Materials,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, pp. 140829100214007, 2014.
- Susann Neubert, Petra Pulisova, Christian Wiktor, Philipp Weide, Bastian Mei, Dmitrii A. Guschin, Roland A. Fischer, Martin Muhler, and Radim Beranek, “Enhanced photocatalytic degradation rates at rutile TiO2 photocatalysts modified with redox co-catalysts,” Catalysis Today, vol. 230, pp. 97–103, 2014.
- Ladislav Kavan, Nicolas Tetreault, Thomas Moehl, and Michael Graetzel, “Electrochemical Characterization of TiO2 Blocking Layers for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 118, no. 30, pp. 16408–16418, 2014.
- N. B. Gusiak, I. M. Kobasa, and S. S. Kurek, “New dyes for dye-sensitized solar cells and photocatalysis: Verifying thermodynamic requirements for electron transfer,” Functional Materials Letters, vol. 7, no. 3, 2014.
- David Ramírez-Ortega, Angel M. Meléndez, Próspero Acevedo-Peña, Ignacio González, and Rubén Arroyo, “Semiconducting properties of ZnO/TiO2 composites by electrochemical measurements and their relationship with photocatalytic activity,” Electrochimica Acta, 2014.
- Shokufeh Moghiminia, Hossein Farsi, and Heidar Raissi, “Comparative optical and electrochemical studies of nanostructured NiTiO3 and NiTiO3-TiO2 prepared by a low temperature modified Sol-Gel route,” Electrochimica Acta, 2014.
- Ladislav Kavan, Marketa Zukalova, Ondrej Vik, and David Havlicek, “Sol-Gel Titanium Dioxide Blocking Layers for DyeSensitized Solar Cells: Electrochemical Characterization,” Chemphyschem, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1056–1061, 2014.
- Ladislav Kavan, “Lithium insertion into TiO2 (anatase): electrochemistry, Raman spectroscopy, and isotope labeling,” Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 2014.
- Yang Li, Xiaoli Zhang, Shaohong Jiang, and Yongdan Li, “In-depth investigation of an In–Ni–Ta–O–N photocatalyst for overall water splitting under sunlight,” Journal of Catalysis, vol. 320, pp. 208–214, 2014.
- Chern-Hooi Lim, Aaron M. Holder, James T. Hynes, and Charles B. Musgrave, “ Reduction of CO 2 to Methanol Catalyzed by a Biomimetic Organo-Hydride Produced from Pyridine ,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, pp. 141104123236009, 2014.
- Jonathan W. Lekse, Barry J. Haycock, James P. Lewis, Douglas R. Kauffman, and Christopher Matranga, “The effect of electronic structure changes in NaInO2 and NaIn0.9Fe0.1O2 on the photoreduction of methylene blue,” Journal of Materials Chemistry A, vol. 2, no. 24, pp. 9331, 2014.
- Wei-Na Zhao, and Zhi-Pan Liu, “Mechanism and active site of photocatalytic water splitting on titania in aqueous surroundings,” Chemical Science, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 2256, 2014.
- Xiaowei Li, Kentaro Suzuki, Takahiro Toda, Satoshi Yasuda, and Kei Murakoshi, “Plasmonic Enhancement of Photoenergy Conversion in the Visible Light Region Using PbS Quantum Dots Coupled with Au Nanoparticles,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, pp. 150910090405004, 2015.
- Oleksiy V. Khavryuchenko, Lidong Wang, Dariusz Mitoraj, Gilles H. Peslherbe, and Radim Beranek, “Enabling visible-light water photooxidation by coordinative incorporation of Co(II/III) cocatalytic sites into organic-inorganic hybrids: quantum chemical modeling and photoelectrochemical performance,” Journal of Coordination Chemistry, pp. 1–11, 2015.
- Nitish Roy, Kam Tong Leung, and Debabrata Pradhan, “ Nitrogen Doped Reduced Graphene Oxide Based Pt–TiO 2 Nanocomposites for Enhanced Hydrogen Evolution ,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, pp. 150807152505009, 2015.
- Andebet Gedamu Tamirat, Wei-Nien Su, Amare Aregahegn Dubale, Chun-Jern Pan, Hung-Ming Chen, Delele Worku Ayele, Jyh-Fu Lee, and Bing-Joe Hwang, “Efficient photoelectrochemical water splitting using three dimensional urchin-like hematite nanostructure modified with reduced graphene oxide,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 287, pp. 119–128, 2015.
- Venkata Manthina, and Alexander G. Agrios, “Band edge engineering of composite photoanodes for dye-sensitized solar cells,” Electrochimica Acta, 2015.
- Anne Carabin, Patrick Drogui, and Didier Robert, “Photo-degradation of carbamazepine using TiO2 suspended photocatalysts,” Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2015.
- S.A. Mozaffari, M. Ranjbar, E. Kouhestanian, H. Salar Amoli, and M.H. Armanmehr, “An investigation on the effect of electrodeposited nanostructured ZnO on the electron transfer process efficiency of TiO2 based DSSC,” Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing, vol. 40, pp. 285–292, 2015.
- Dhritabrata Mandal, and Thomas W. Hamann, “Charge distribution in nanostructured TiO2 photoanode determined by quantitative analysis of the band edge unpinning,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2015.
- D. Regonini, A. Groff, G.D. Sorarù, and F.J. Clemens, “Photoelectrochemical study of anodized TiO2 Nanotubes prepared using low and high H2O contents,” Electrochimica Acta, 2015.
- Sherdil Khan, Maximiliano J. M. Zapata, Marcelo B. Pereira, Renato V. Gonçalves, Lukas Strizik, Jairton Dupont, Marcos J. L. Santos, and Sérgio R. Teixeira, “ Structural, optical and photoelectrochemical characterizations of monoclinic Ta 3 N 5 thin films ,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., vol. 17, no. 37, pp. 23952–23962, 2015.
- Andrea Cerdán-Pasarán, Diego Esparza, Isaac Zarazúa, Manuel Reséndiz, Tzarara López-Luke, Elder De la Rosa, Rosalba Fuentes-Ramírez, Alejandro Alatorre-Ordaz, and Alejandro Martínez-Benítez, “Photovoltaic study of quantum dot-sensitized TiO2/CdS/ZnS solar cell with P3HT or P3OT added,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 2016.
- Waleed M. Omymen, Ali S. Ebshish, Branimir Z. Jugović, Tomislav Lj. Trišović, Milica M. Gvozdenović, and Branimir N. Grgur, “Photoelectochemical behavior of TiO2-NT’s modified with SILAR deposited iron oxide,” Electrochimica Acta, 2016.
- Priyanka Garg, Sourabh Kumar, Indrani Choudhuri, Arup Mahata, and Biswarup Pathak, “Hexagonal Planar CdS Monolayer Sheet for Visible Light Photocatalysis,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2016.
- Ahmad W. Amer, Mostafa A. El-Sayed, and Nageh K. Allam, “Tuning The Photoactivity of Zirconia Nanotubes-Based Photoanodes via Ultrathin Layers of ZrN: An Effective Approach toward Visible-Light Water Splitting,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2016.
- Peter Deák, Jolla Kullgren, Bálint Aradi, Thomas Frauenheim, and Ladislaw Kavan, “Water splitting and the band edge positions of TiO2,” Electrochimica Acta, 2016.
- Weiyong Yuan, Jia Yuan, Jiale Xie, and Chang Ming Li, “ Polymer-Mediated Self-Assembly of TiO 2 @Cu 2 O Core–Shell Nanowire Array for Highly Efficient Photoelectrochemical Water Oxidation ,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2016.
- Dhritabrata Mandal, and Thomas W. Hamann, “Charge Distribution in Nanostructured TiO2 Photoanode Determined by Quantitative Analysis of the Band Edge Unpinning,” Acs Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 419–424, 2016.
- Luis Alberto Estudillo-Wong, Yun Luo, Jesús Adrián Díaz-Real, and Nicolas Alonso-Vante, “Enhanced Oxygen Reduction Reaction Stability on Platinum Nanoparticles Photo-deposited onto Oxide-Carbon composites,” Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2016.
- Yuji Matsumoto, Yoshihiro Miura, and Shintaro Takata, “ Thickness-Dependent Flat Band Potential of Anatase TiO 2 (001) Epitaxial Films on Nb:SrTiO 3 (001) Investigated by UHV-Electrochemistry Approach ,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2016.
- Radim Beranek, “ Corrigendum to “(Photo)electrochemical Methods for the Determination of the Band Edge Positions of TiO 2 -Based Nanomaterials” ,” Advances in Physical Chemistry, vol. 2016, pp. 1–2, 2016.
- Krista Carlson, Casey Elliott, Shawn Walker, Manoranjan Misra, and Swomitra Mohanty, “An Effective, Point-of-Use Water Disinfection Device Using Immobilized Black TiO2 Nanotubes as an Electrocatalyst,” Journal Of The Electrochemical Society, vol. 163, no. 6, pp. H395–H401, 2016.
- Choonsoo Kim, Seonghwan Kim, Sung Pil Hong, Jaehan Lee, and Jeyong Yoon, “ Effect of doping level of colored TiO 2 nanotube arrays fabricated by electrochemical self-doping on electrochemical properties ,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2016.
- D. Regonini, A. Groff, G. D. Soraru, and F. J. Clemens, “Suppressing Deep Traps in Self-Organized TiO2 Nanotubes by Nb Doping and Optimized Water Content,” Journal Of The Electrochemical Society, vol. 163, no. 3, pp. I1243–I1251, 2016.
- Shoji Iguchi, Soichi Kikkawa, Kentaro Teramura, Saburo Hosokawa, and Tsunehiro Tanaka, “Investigation of the electrochemical and photoelectrochemical properties of Ni–Al LDH photocatalysts,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2016.