- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 135172, 10 pages
Microscopic Rate Constants of Crystal Growth from Molecular Dynamic Simulations Combined with Metadynamics
1Institute of Enzymology, Research Centre for Natural Sciences, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Karolina út 29, Budapest 1113, Hungary
2Institute of Chemistry, Eötvös Loránd University, P.O. Box 32, Budapest 1518, Hungary
Received 3 April 2012; Revised 24 July 2012; Accepted 26 July 2012
Academic Editor: Dennis Salahub
Copyright © 2012 Dániel Kozma and Gergely Tóth. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Jónsson, “Theoretical studies of atomic-scale processes relevant to crystal growth,” Annual Review of Physical Chemistry, vol. 51, pp. 623–653, 2000.
- S. X. M. Boerrigter, G. P. H. Josten, J. Van De Streek et al., “MONTY: Monte Carlo crystal growth on any crystal structure in any crystallographic orientation; Application to fats,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 108, no. 27, pp. 5894–5902, 2004.
- K. R. Elder, K. Katakowski, M. Haataja, and M. Grant, “Modeling elasticity in crystal growth,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 88, no. 24, Article ID 245701, 4 pages, 2002.
- G. I. Tóth, G. Tegze, T. Pusztai, G. Tóth, and L. Gránásy, “Polymorphism, crystal nucleation and growth in the phase-field crystal model in 2D and 3D,” Journal of Physics, vol. 22, no. 36, Article ID 364101, 2010.
- S. Piana and J. D. Gale, “Interfaces between a saturated aqueous urea solution and crystalline urea: a molecular dynamics study,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1674–1681, 1994.
- S. Piana, M. Reyhani, and J. D. Gale, “Simulating micrometre-scale crystal growth from solution,” Nature, vol. 438, no. 7064, pp. 70–73, 2005.
- S. Piana and J. D. Gale, “Three-dimensional kinetic Monte Carlo simulation of crystal growth from solution,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 294, no. 1, pp. 46–52, 2006.
- D. T. Gillespie, “A general method for numerically simulating the stochastic time evolution of coupled chemical reactions,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 403–434, 1976.
- G. H. Gilmer, “Computer models of crystal growth,” Science, vol. 208, no. 4442, p. 355, 1980.
- A. F. Voter, “Classically exact overlayer dynamics: Diffusion of rhodium clusters on Rh(100),” Physical Review B, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 6819–6829, 1986.
- K. A. Fichthorn and W. H. Weinberg, “Theoretical foundations of dynamical Monte Carlo simulations,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 1090–1096, 1991.
- G. Tóth, “Microscopic kinetic data on crystal growth from macroscopic morphology,” Crystal Growth & Design, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 3959–3964, 2008.
- L. M. Liu, A. Laio, and A. Michaelides, “Initial stages of salt crystal dissolution determined with ab initio molecular dynamics,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 13, no. 29, pp. 13162–13166, 2011.
- A. G. Stack, P. Raiteri, and J. D. Gale, “Accurate rates of the complex mechanisms for growth and dissolution of minerals using a combination of rare-event theories,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 11–14, 2012.
- A. Laio and M. Parrinello, “Escaping free-energy minima,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 20, pp. 12562–12566, 2002.
- W. C. Swope and H. C. Andersen, “106-particle molecular-dynamics study of homogeneous nucleation of crystals in a supercooled atomic liquid,” Physical Review B, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 7042–7054, 1990.
- P. R. Ten Wolde, M. J. Ruiz-Montero, and D. Frenkel, “Numerical evidence for bcc ordering at the surface of a critical fcc nucleus,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 75, no. 14, pp. 2714–2717, 1995.
- P. R. ten Wolde, M. J. Ruiz-Montero, and D. Frenkel, “Numerical calculation of the rate of crystal nucleation in a Lennard-Jones system at moderate undercooling,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 104, no. 24, pp. 9932–9947, 1996.
- D. Frenkel and B. Smit, Understanding Molecular Simulation, Academic Press, London, UK, 1996.
- M. P. Allen and J. d. Tildesley, Computer Simmulation of Liquids, Oxford University Press, London, UK, 1991.
- J. P. Hansen and L. Verlet, “Phase transitions of the Lennard-Jones system,” Physical Review, vol. 184, no. 1, pp. 151–161, 1969.
- A. Laio and F. L. Gervasio, “Metadynamics: a method to simulate rare events and reconstruct the free energy in biophysics, chemistry and material science,” Reports on Progress in Physics, vol. 72, no. 12, Article ID 126601, 2008.
- G. Bussi, A. Laio, and M. Parrinello, “Equilibrium free energies from nonequilibrium metadynamics,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 96, no. 9, Article ID 090601, 2006.
- A Barducci, G. Bussi, and M. Parrinello, “Well-tempered metadynamics: a smoothly converging and tunable free-energy method,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 100, no. 2, Article ID 020603, 2008.
- W. H. Press, S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical recipes in Fortran, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1992.