- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 431962, 17 pages
Positronium in a Liquid Phase: Formation, Bubble State and Chemical Reactions
1Institute of Theoretical and Experimental Physics, Moscow 117218, Russia
2D. Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia, Miusskaya Square 9, Moscow 125047, Russia
3Institut Pluridisciplinaire Hubert Curien, CNRS/IN2P3, BP 28, 67037 Strasbourg Cedex 2, France
Received 2 April 2012; Revised 1 June 2012; Accepted 4 June 2012
Academic Editor: Michael Deleuze
Copyright © 2012 Sergey V. Stepanov et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Dryzek and P. Horodek, “The distribution of slowing-down times of positrons emitted from 22Na and 68Ge\68Ga isotopes into metals,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 666, pp. 10–14, 2011.
- H. G. Paretzke, “Radiation track structure theory,” in Kinetics of Nonhomogeneous Processes, G. R. Freeman, Ed., pp. 89–170, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1987.
- V. M. Byakov and S. V. Stepanov, “Common features in the formation of Ps, Mu, radioltic hydrogen and solvated electrons in aqueous solutions,” Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, vol. 210, no. 2, pp. 371–405, 1996.
- V. M. Byakov and F. G. Nichiporov, Intratrack Chemical Processes, Energoatomizdat, Moscow, Russia, 1985.
- S. V. Stepanov, “Energy losses of subexcitation charged particles in polar media,” Radiation Physics and Chemistry, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 29–37, 1995.
- S. V. Stepanov and V. M. Byakov, “Physical and radiation chemistry of the positron and positronium,” in Principles and Applications of Positron and Positronium Chemistry, Y. C. Jean, P. E. Mallone, and D. M. Schrader, Eds., chapter 5, World Scientific Publications, 2003.
- S. V. Stepanov and V. M. Byakov, “Electric field effect on positronium formation in liquids,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 116, no. 14, pp. 6178–6195, 2002.
- S. V. Stepanov, V. M. Byakov, C. L. Wang, Y. Kobayashi, and K. Hirata, “Electric field effect on Ps formation: black blob model,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 363–365, pp. 392–394, 2001.
- S. V. Stepanov, V. M. Byakov, and Y. Kobayashi, “Ps formation in molecular media: effect of the external electric field,” Physical Review B, vol. 72, no. 5, Article ID 054205, 2005.
- S. V. Stepanov and V. M. Byakov, “Ps formation in molecular media: low temperature hydrocarbons,” Physica Status Solidi (C) Current Topics in Solid State Physics, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 3684–3689, 2007.
- F. Bockstahl, I. Billard, G. Duplâtre, and A. Bonnenfant, “Positronium formation and quenching in frozen and liquid solutions in octanol,” Chemical Physics, vol. 236, no. 1–3, pp. 393–403, 1998.
- M. Muhieddine, E. Canot, and R. March, “Various approaches for solving problems in heat conduction with phase,” International Research Journal of Finance, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1–20, 2009.
- S. V. Stepanov, D. S. Zvezhinski, G. Duplâtre, V. M. Byakov, Y. Y. Batskikh, and P. S. Stepanov, “Incorporation of the magnetic quenching effect into the blob model of Ps formation. Finite sized Ps in a potential well,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 666, pp. 109–114, 2011.
- K. Kotera, T. Saito, and T. Yamanaka, “Measurement of positron lifetime to probe the mixed molecular states of liquid water,” Physics Letters A, vol. 345, no. 1–3, pp. 184–190, 2005.
- G. Duplâtre, A. Haessler, and J. C. Abbé, “Interactions of positronium with Co2+ in water: mechanisms and temperature effects,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 1756–1760, 1985.
- J. C. Abbé, G. Duplâtre, A. Haessler, A. Marques Netto, and D. Pilo Veloso, “Temperature and (polar) solvent effects on positronium reactions with nitroxyl free radicals,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 2071–2076, 1984.
- J. Talamoni, J. C. Abbé, G. Duplâtre, and A. Haessler, “Temperature effects on positronium formation and inhibition: a contribution to the elucidation of early spur processes-III. Aqueous solutions,” Radiation Physics and Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 275–280, 1982.
- S. V. Stepanov, G. Duplâtre, V. M. Byakov, V. S. Subrahmanyam, D. S. Zvezhinskii, and A. S. Mishagina, “Influence of temperature on intratrack processes and Ps formation and behaviour in liquid water,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 607, pp. 213–217, 2009.
- C. Bonacina, G. Comini, A. Fasano, and M. Primicerio, “Numerical solution of phase-change problems,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1825–1832, 1973.
- R. C. Wilhoit, J. Chao, and K. R. Hall, “Thermodynamic properties of key organic oxygen compounds in the carbon range C1 to C4. Part 1. Properties of condensed phases,” Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1–175, 1985.
- C. Yaws, Thermophysical Properties of Chemicals and Hydrocarbons, William Andrew, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- O. A. Korolyuk, “Thermal conductivity of molecular crystals of monoatomic alcohols: from methanol to butanol,” Fizika Nizkikh Temperatur, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 526–530, 2011.
- C. Yaws, Lange's Handbook of Chemistry, McGraw-Hill, 15th edition, 1999.
- D. R. Lide, Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, CRC Press LLC, 84th edition, 2004.
- O. E. Mogensen, Positron Annihilation in Chemistry, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1995.
- T. Tabata, Y. Ito, and S. Tagawa, Handbook of Radiation Chemistry, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1991.
- Y. Ito, “Radiation chemistry: intraspur effects and positronium formation mechanism,” in Positron and Positronium Chemistry, D. M. Schrader and Y. C. Jean, Eds., Studies in Physical and Theoretical Chemistry Series, pp. 120–158, Elsevier Scientific Publishers, 1988.
- O. E. Mogensen, “Spur reaction model of positronium formation,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 998–1004, 1974.
- V. M. Byakov, V. I. Goldanskii, and V. P. Shantarovich, “About the possible role of “dry” electrons in positronium formation in a liquid,” Doklady Physical Chemistry, vol. 219, no. 3, pp. 1090–1093, 1974, Doklady Akademii Nauk, SSSR, V. 219(3), pp. 633–636, 1974.
- V. M. Byakov, “The nature of the precursors of radiolytic molecular hydrogen in water, and the mechanism of positronium formation in liquids,” International Journal for Radiation Physics and Chemistry, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 283–288, 1976.
- K. V. Mikhin, S. V. Stepanov, and V. M. Byakov, “Dynamics of positronium bubble growth in liquid media and the energy dissipation problem,” High Energy Chemistry, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 36–43, 2005.
- S. V. Stepanov, D. S. Zvezhinskii, G. Duplâtre, V. M. Byakov, and V. S. Subrahmanyam, “A novel approach to the interpretation of PAL spectra in glycerol,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 607, pp. 260–262, 2009.
- S. V. Stepanov, V. M. Byakov, G. Duplâtre, D. S. Zvezhinskiy, and Y. V. Lomachuk, “Positronium formation in a liquid phase: influence of intratrack reactions and temperature,” Physica Status Solidi (C) Current Topics in Solid State Physics, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 2476–2481, 2009.
- A. I. Burshtein, Molecular Physics, Nauka, Novosibirsk, Russia, 1986.
- S. K. Sharma, A. Zaydouri, G. Roudaut, and G. Duplâtre, “Effect of water on glass transition in starch/sucrose matrices investigated through positron annihilation lifetime spectroscopy: a new approach,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 13, pp. 19338–19344, 2011.
- R. A. Ferrell, “Long lifetime of positronium in liquid helium,” Physical Review, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 167–168, 1957.
- S. J. Tao, “Positronium annihilation in molecular substances,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 5499–5510, 1972.
- M. Eldrup, D. Lightbody, and J. N. Sherwood, “The temperature dependence of positron lifetimes in solid pivalic acid,” Chemical Physics, vol. 63, no. 1-2, pp. 51–58, 1981.
- S. V. Stepanov and V. M. Byakov, “What do positrons say about the structure and properties of fluids?” Journal of Structural Chemistry, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 949–971, 2002.
- A. T. Stewart and C. V. Briscoe, “Positron Annihilation,” in Proceedings of the Conference International Symposium on Positron Annihilation Studies of Fluids, A. T. Stewart and L. O. Roellig, Eds., p. 383, Wayne State UniversityAcademic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1959.
- A. P. Buchikhin, V. I. Gol'danskii, A. O. Tatur, and V. P. Shantarovich, “The positronium atom in organic liquids,” Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics, vol. 33, no. 3, article 615, 1971, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., Vol. 60(3), p. 1136, 1971.
- L. O. Roellig, “Positron annihilation in liquids and condensed gases,” in Proceedings of Wayne State University Conference on Positron AnnihilationAcademic Press, A. T. Stewart and L. O. Roellig, Eds., p. 127, New York, NY, USA, 1967.
- C. Dauwe, N. Balcaen, S. Van Petegem, and D. Segers, “Trapping of positronium in a size-dependent spherical square well potential,” Radiation Physics and Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 5-6, pp. 681–685, 2000.
- D. Dutta, B. N. Ganguly, D. Gangopadhyay, T. Mukherjee, and B. Dutta-Roy, “Corrections to the prevalent bubble model of positronium annihilation in liquids,” Physical Review B, vol. 65, no. 9, Article ID 094114, 2002.
- D. Dutta, B. N. Ganguly, D. Gangopadhyay, T. Mukherjee, and B. Dutta-Roy, “General trends of positronium pick-off annihilation in molecular substances,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 14, no. 32, pp. 7539–7549, 2002.
- B. N. Miller and T. Reese, “Path integral simulation of positronium,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, vol. 192, no. 1-2, pp. 176–179, 2002.
- L. Larrimore, R. N. McFarland, P. A. Sterne, and A. L. R. Bug, “Two-chain path integral model of positronium,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 113, no. 23, pp. 10642–10650, 2000.
- A. L. R. Bug, M. Muluneh, J. Waldman, and P. A. Sterne, “Positronium in solids: computer simulation of pick-off and self-annihilation,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 445-446, pp. 375–379, 2004.
- T. Fülöp, Z. Farkas, A. Seeger, and J. Major, “On the inner structure of confined positronium,” http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0304442v1.
- V. V. Batygin and I. N. Toptygin, “Problems on electrodynamics,” Tech. Rep. 157, NIC RKhD, Moscow, Russia, 2002.
- V. M. Byakov, S. V. Stepanov, and O. P. Stepanova, “Positron method for diagnostics of carcinogens,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 607, pp. 223–226, 2009.
- V. M. Byakov, S. V. Stepanov, and O. P. Stepanova, “PAL spectroscopy and testing for potential carcinogens,” Physica Status Solidi (C) Current Topics in Solid State Physics, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 2503–2506, 2009.