- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 491604, 17 pages
Fundamental Mechanistic Understanding of Electrocatalysis of Oxygen Reduction on Pt and Non-Pt Surfaces: Acid versus Alkaline Media
Laboratory for Electrochemical Advanced Power, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Center of Renewable Energy Technology (NUCRET), Northeastern University, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Received 2 October 2011; Accepted 22 December 2011
Academic Editor: Milan M. Jaksic
Copyright © 2012 Nagappan Ramaswamy and Sanjeev Mukerjee. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [43 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Yang Song, Ke Liu, and Shaowei Chen, “AgAu Bimetallic Janus Nanoparticles and Their Electrocatalytic Activity for Oxygen Reduction in Alkaline Media,” Langmuir, vol. 28, no. 49, pp. 17143–17152, 2012.
- P. Quaino, N. B. Luque, R. Nazmutdinov, E. Santos, and Wolfgang Schmickler, “Why is Gold such a Good Catalyst for Oxygen Reduction in Alkaline Media?,” Angewandte Chemie-International Edition, vol. 51, no. 52, pp. 12997–13000, 2012.
- Renat R. Nazmutdinov, Elizabeth Santos, and Wolfgang Schmickler, “Spin effects in oxygen electrocatalysis: A discussion,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 33, pp. 14–17, 2013.
- Éric Mahé, Pauline Bornoz, Emmanuel Briot, Jean Chevalet, Christos Comninellis, and Didier Devilliers, “A selective chemiluminescence detection method for reactive oxygen species involved in oxygen reduction reaction on electrocatalytic materials,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 102, pp. 259–273, 2013.
- Simantini Nayak, P. Ulrich Biedermann, Martin Stratmann, and Andreas Erbe, “In situ infrared spectroscopic investigation of intermediates in the electrochemical oxygen reduction on n-Ge(100) in alkaline perchlorate and chloride electrolyte,” Electrochimica Acta, 2013.
- Belabbes Merzougui, Abdouelilah Hachimi, Akinpelu Akeem, Bukola Saheed, and Minhua Shao, “A Pt- Free Catalyst for Oxygen Reduction Reaction Based on Fe-N multiwalled Carbon Nanotube Composites,” Electrochimica Acta, 2013.
- Yu-Syuan Chao, Dah-Shyang Tsai, An-Pang Wu, Ling-Wei Tseng, and Ying-Sheng Huang, “Cobalt selenide electrocatalyst supported by nitrogen-doped carbon and its stable activity toward oxygen reduction reaction,” International Journal Of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 38, no. 14, pp. 5655–5664, 2013.
- Qinggang He, Qing Li, Samson Khene, Xiaoming Ren, Franz E. Lopez-Suarez, Dolores Lozano-Castello, Agustin Bueno-Lopez, and Gang Wu, “High-Loading Cobalt Oxide Coupled with Nitrogen-Doped Graphene for Oxygen Reduction in Anion-Exchange-Membrane Alkaline Fuel Cells,” Journal Of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 117, no. 17, pp. 8697–8707, 2013.
- Udaya B. Nasini, Yashraj Gartia, Punnamchandar Ramidi, Abul Kazi, Ali U. Shaikh, and Anindya Ghosh, “Oxygen reduction reaction catalyzed by cobalt(III) complexes of macrocyclic ligands supported on multiwalled carbon nanotubes,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 566, pp. 38–43, 2013.
- Minhua Shao, Jonathan Odell, Michael Humbert, Taekyung Yu, and Younan Xia, “Electrocatalysis on Shape-Controlled Palladium Nanocrystals: Oxygen Reduction Reaction and Formic Acid Oxidation,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 117, no. 8, pp. 4172–4180, 2013.
- Sun-Tang Chang, Hsin-Chih Huang, Hsiao-Chien Wang, Hsin-Cheng Hsu, Jyh-Fu Lee, and Chen-Hao Wang, “Effects of structures of pyrolyzed corrin, corrole and porphyrin on oxygen reduction reaction,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2013.
- Chan Lin, Yang Song, Lixin Cao, and Shaowei Chen, “ Oxygen Reduction Catalyzed by Au–TiO 2 Nanocomposites in Alkaline Media ,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, pp. 131120125217006, 2013.
- Guoqiang He, Yang Song, Bruce Phebus, Ke Liu, Christopher P. Deming, Peiguang Hu, and Shaowei Chen, “Electrocatalytic Activity of Organically Functionalized Silver Nanoparticles in Oxygen Reduction,” Science of Advanced Materials, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 1727–1736, 2013.
- Shiming Zhang, and Shengli Chen, “Enhanced-electrocatalytic activity of Pt nanoparticles supported on nitrogen-doped carbon for the oxygen reduction reaction,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 240, pp. 60–65, 2013.
- Shayna Brocato, Alexey Serov, and Plamen Atanassov, “pH dependence of catalytic activity for ORR of the non-PGM catalyst derived from heat-treated Fe–phenanthroline,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 87, pp. 361–365, 2013.
- Lidija D. Rafailovic, Christoph Gammer, Christian Rentenberger, Tomislav Trišovic, Christoph Kleber, and H. Peter Karnthaler, “Enhanced oxygen evolution and reduction reactions of porous ternary NiCoFe foam electrodes prepared by dynamic hydrogen template deposition,” Nano Energy, 2013.
- Simantini Nayak, P. Ulrich Biedermann, Martin Stratmann, and Andreas Erbe, “A mechanistic study of the electrochemical oxygen reduction on the model semiconductor n-Ge(100) by ATR-IR and DFT,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., vol. 15, no. 16, pp. 5771–5781, 2013.
- Chen-Hao Wang, Chin-Tsan Wang, Hsin-Chih Huang, Sun-Tang Chang, and Fan-Ying Liao, “High stability pyrolyzed vitamin B12 as a non-precious metal catalyst of oxygen reduction reaction in microbial fuel cells,” RSC Advances, vol. 3, no. 35, pp. 15375, 2013.
- Hsin-Chih Huang, Chen-Hao Wang, Indrajit Shown, Sun-Tang Chang, Hsin-Cheng Hsu, He-Yun Du, Li-Chyong Chen, and Kuei-Hsien Chen, “High-performance pyrolyzed iron corrole as a potential non-precious metal catalyst for PEMFCs,” Journal of Materials Chemistry A, vol. 1, no. 46, pp. 14692, 2013.
- Mohammadhosein Safari, Brian D. Adams, and Linda F. Nazar, “ Kinetics of Oxygen Reduction in Aprotic Li-O 2 Cells: A Model-Based Study ,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, pp. 140922111651002, 2014.
- Nastaran Ranjbar Sahraie, Jens Peter Paraknowitsch, Caren Göbel, Arne Thomas, and Peter Strasser, “Noble-Metal-Free Electrocatalysts with Enhanced ORR Performance by Task-Specific Functionalization of Carbon using Ionic Liquid Precursor Systems,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, pp. 140930155718000, 2014.
- Min Ho Seo, Drew Higgins, Gaopeng Jiang, Sung Mook Choi, Byungchan Han, and Zhongwei Chen, “Theoretical insight into highly durable iron phthalocyanine derived non-precious catalysts for oxygen reduction reactions,” J. Mater. Chem. A, vol. 2, no. 46, pp. 19707–19716, 2014.
- Carlota Domínguez, Francisco J. Pérez-Alonso, José L. Gómez de la Fuente, Shaeel A. Al-Thabaiti, Sulaiman N. Basahel, Abdurrahman O. Alyoubi, Abdulmohsen A. Alshehri, Miguel A. Peña, and Sergio Rojas, “Influence of the electrolyte for the oxygen reduction reaction with Fe/N/C and Fe/N/CNT electrocatalysts,” Journal of Power Sources, 2014.
- Xiaoming Zhang, Shansheng Yu, Weitao Zheng, and Ping Liu, “Stability of Pt near surface alloys under electrochemical conditions: a model study,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 16, no. 31, pp. 16615, 2014.
- Leandro M. C. Pinto, Paola Quaino, Mauricio D. Arce, Elizabeth Santos, and Wolfgang Schmickler, “Electrochemical Adsorption of OH on Pt(111) in Alkaline Solutions: Combining DFT and Molecular Dynamics,” Chemphyschem, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 2003–2009, 2014.
- TsingHai Wang, Chu-Ling Chiang, Po-Chieh Li, Yi-Kong Hsieh, and Chu-Fang Wang, “Effect of B-site vacancy on surface chemistry and catalytic performance of Dion–Jacobson phase layered perovskite KCa2Nb3O10,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 244, pp. 243–251, 2014.
- Prashant Subhas Khadke, and Ulrike Krewer, “Mass-Transport Characteristics of Oxygen at Pt/Anion Exchange Ionomer Interface,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, pp. 140519124148001, 2014.
- Urszula Tylus, Qingying Jia, Kara Strickland, Nagappan Ramaswamy, Alexey Serov, Plamen B Atanassov, and Sanjeev Mukerjee, “Elucidating Oxygen Reduction Active Sites in Pyrolyzed Metal-Nitrogen Coordinated Non-Precious Electrocatalyst Systems,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, pp. 140402112448008, 2014.
- Panagiotis Trogadas, Thomas F. Fuller, and Peter Strasser, “Carbon as catalyst and support for electrochemical energy conversion,” Carbon, 2014.
- E. J. Calvo, “The kinetics of oxygen electroreduction: A long way from iron rust to lithium-air batteries,” Materials and Corrosion, 2014.
- Wei Wei, Haiwei Liang, Khaled Parvez, Xiaodong Zhuang, Xinliang Feng, and Klaus Muellen, “Nitrogen-Doped Carbon Nanosheets with Size-Defined Mesopores as Highly Efficient Metal-Free Catalyst for the Oxygen Reduction Reaction,” Angewandte Chemie-International Edition, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1570–1574, 2014.
- W.Y. Wong, W.R.W. Daud, A.B. Mohamad, A.A.H. Kadhum, K.S. Loh, E.H. Majlan, and K.L. Lim, “The Impact of Loading and Temperature on the Oxygen Reduction Reaction at Nitrogen-doped Carbon Nanotubes in Alkaline Medium,” Electrochimica Acta, 2014.
- Chen-Hao Wang, Chih-Wei Yang, Yu-Chuan Lin, Sun-Tang Chang, and Shery L.Y. Chang, “Cobalt-Iron(II,III) Oxide Hybrid Catalysis with Enhanced Catalytic Activities for Oxygen Reduction in Anion Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell,” Journal of Power Sources, 2014.
- Shuai Xu, Chao Wang, Sonja A. Francis, Ryan T. Tucker, Jason Sorge, Reza B. Moghaddam, Michael J. Brett, and Steven H. Bergens, “Glancing angle deposited Ni nanopillars coated with conformal, thin layers of Pt by a novel electrodeposition: Application to the oxygen reduction reaction,” Electrochimica Acta, 2014.
- Dongsheng Geng, Ning Ding, T. S. Andy Hor, Zhaolin Liu, Xueliang Sun, and Yun Zong, “Potential of metal-free “graphene alloy” as electrocatalysts for oxygen reduction reaction,” J. Mater. Chem. A, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 1795–1810, 2014.
- Lei Zhang, Hui Li, and Jiujun Zhang, “Kinetics of oxygen reduction reaction on three different Pt surfaces of Pt/C catalyst analyzed by rotating ring-disk electrode in acidic solution,” Journal of Power Sources, 2014.
- S.N. Basahel, M.A. Peña, J.L.G. Fierro, S. Rojas, C. Domínguez, F.J. Pérez-Alonso, M. Abdel Salam, J.L. Gómez de la Fuente, and S.A. Al-Thabaiti, “Effect of transition metal (M: Fe, Co or Mn) for the oxygen reduction reaction with non-precious metal catalysts in acid medium,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2014.
- E. Fabbri, A. Habereder, K. Waltar, R. Koetz, and T. J. Schmidt, “Developments and perspectives of oxide-based catalysts for the oxygen evolution reaction,” Catalysis Science & Technology, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 3800–3821, 2014.
- Xiao-Zi Yuan, Vanesa Alzate, Zhong Xie, Douglas G. Ivey, and Wei Qu, “Oxygen Reduction Reaction in 1-Butyl-1-methyl-pyrrolidinium Bis(trifluoromethanesulfonyl)imide: Addition of Water as a Proton Species,” Journal of The Electrochemical Society, vol. 161, no. 4, pp. A451–A457, 2014.
- Xiao-Zi Yuan, Vanesa Alzate, Zhong Xie, Douglas G. Ivey, Eben Dy, and Wei Qu, “Effect of Water and Dimethyl Sulfoxide on Oxygen Reduction Reaction in Bis(trifluoromethanesulfonyl)imide-based Ionic Liquids,” Journal of The Electrochemical Society, vol. 161, no. 4, pp. A458–A466, 2014.
- Edward F. Holby, and Christopher D. Taylor, “Activity of N-coordinated multi-metal-atom active site structures for Pt-free oxygen reduction reaction catalysis: Role of *OH ligands,” Scientific Reports, vol. 5, pp. 9286, 2015.
- Michael K. Bates, Qingying Jia, Nagappan Ramaswamy, Robert J. Allen, and Sanjeev Mukerjee, “ Composite Ni/NiO-Cr 2 O 3 Catalyst for Alkaline Hydrogen Evolution Reaction ,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, pp. 150226125713009, 2015.
- Carlota Domínguez, Francisco J. Pérez-Alonso, Shaeel A. Al-Thabaiti, Sulaiman Nassir Basahel, Abdullah Y. Obaid, Abdurrahman Obaid Alyoubi, José L.Gómez de la Fuente, and Sergio Rojas, “Effect of N and S co-doping of multiwalled carbon nanotubes for the oxygen reduction,” Electrochimica Acta, 2015.