- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 798492, 8 pages
Structural Studies on Nonequilibrium Microstructures of Dioctyl Sodium Dodecyl Sulfosuccinate (Aerosol-OT) in p-Toluenesulfonic Acid and Phosphatidylcholine
1Department of Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, Mumbai 400076, India
2Department of Chemistry, University of Pune, Pune 411 007, India
Received 20 April 2012; Revised 8 November 2012; Accepted 12 November 2012
Academic Editor: Jan Skov Pedersen
Copyright © 2012 M. K. Temgire et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Virchow, “Ueber das ausgebreitete Vorkommen einer dem Nervenmark analogen Substanz in den thierischen Geweben,” Archiv für Pathologische Anatomie und Physiologie und für Klinische Medicin, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 562–572, 1854.
- H. Kelkar, “History of liquid crystals,” Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, vol. 21, pp. 1–48, 1973.
- L. N. Zou, “Myelin figures: the buckling and flow of wet soap,” Physical Review E, vol. 79, no. 6, Article ID 061502, 10 pages, 2009.
- I. Sakurai and Y. Kawamura, “Magnetic-field-induced orientation and bending of the myelin figures of phosphatidylcholine,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 735, no. 1, pp. 189–192, 1983.
- K. Mishima and T. Morimoto, “Electric field-induced orientation of myelin figures of phosphatidylcholine,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 985, no. 3, pp. 351–354, 1989.
- A. Chowdhury, Optical microscopy and scanning electron microscopy of surfactant myelins [M.S. thesis], 2001.
- M. Haran, A. Chowdhury, C. Manohar, and J. Bellare, “Myelin growth and coiling,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 205, no. 1-2, pp. 21–30, 2002.
- M. Buchanan, J. Arrault, and M. E. Cates, “Swelling and dissolution of lamellar phases: role of bilayer organization,” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 26, pp. 7371–7377, 1998.
- M. Buchanan, S. U. Egelhaaf, and M. E. Cates, “Dynamics of interface instabilities in nonionic lamellar phases,” Langmuir, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 3718–3726, 2000.
- M. Buchanan, L. Starrs, S. U. Egelhaaf, and M. E. Cates, “Kinetic pathways of multiphase surfactant systems,” Physical Review E, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 6895–6905, 2000.
- M. Buchanan, S. U. Egelhaaf, and M. E. Cates, “Swelling and dissolution of onion phases: the effect of temperature,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 183–185, pp. 293–302, 2001.
- J. R. Huang, L. N. Zou, and T. A. Witten, “Confined multilamellae prefer cylindrical morphology—a theory of myelin formation,” European Physical Journal E, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 279–285, 2005.
- H. Dave, M. Surve, C. Manohar, and J. Bellare, “Myelin growth and initial dynamics,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 264, no. 1, pp. 76–81, 2003.
- G. Hota, J. R. Bellare, K. C. Khilar, and C. Manohar, “Reactive organization of particles into macroscopic length scales by myelin growth,” Current Science, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 1406–1407, 2001.
- V. Frette, I. Tsafrir, M. A. Guedeau-Boudeville, L. Jullien, D. Kandel, and J. Stavans, “Coiling of cylindrical membrane stacks with anchored polymers,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 83, no. 12, pp. 2465–2468, 1999.
- X. Chen and K. Tsujii, “Synthetic myelin figures immobilized in polymer gels,” Soft Matter, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 852–856, 2007.
- M. Lin, L. Li, F. Qiu, and Y. Yang, “Effect of added monovalent electrolytes on the myelin formation from charged lipids,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 348, no. 2, pp. 505–510, 2010.
- I. Sakurai and Y. Kawamura, “Growth mechanism of myelin figures of phosphatidylcholine,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 777, no. 2, pp. 347–351, 1984.
- I. Sakurai, T. Suzuki, and S. Sakurai, “Cross sectional view of myelin figures,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 985, pp. 101–105, 1989.
- L. Tayeba, M. Mozafari, D. Vashaee, and A. N. Parikh, “Structural configuration of myelin figures using fluorescence microscopy,” International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2012, Article ID 685617, 7 pages, 2012.
- I. Sakurai, T. Suzuki, and S. Sakurai, “Structure and growth behaviour of myelin figures,” Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals B, vol. 180, pp. 305–311, 1990.
- E. M. Slayter and H. S. Slayter, Light and Electron Microscopy, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1992.
- K. Bhadriraju and J. Bellare, “A cryo-SEM technique developed and applied to surfactant liposomes,” in Proceedings of the 51st Annual Meeting of the Electron Microscope Society of America, pp. 284–285, August 1993.
- D. J. Mitchell and B. W. Ninham, “Micelles, vesicles and microemulsions,” Journal of the Chemical Society, Faraday Transactions 2, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 601–629, 1981.
- J. N. Israelachvili, Intermolecular and Surface Forces, Academic Press, London, UK, 1985.