- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 903272, 14 pages
Infrared Spectroscopy of Anionic, Cationic, and Zwitterionic Surfactants
1Departamento de Química e Física Molecular, Instituto de Química de São Carlos, Universidade de São Paulo, São Carlos, SP, Brazil
2Departamento de Química, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Received 21 January 2012; Revised 7 April 2012; Accepted 8 April 2012
Academic Editor: Michael D. Sevilla
Copyright © 2012 Rommel B. Viana et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Rosen, Surfactants and Interfacial Phenomena, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2004.
- M. Antonietti, “Surfactants for novel templating applications,” Current Opinion in Colloid & Interface Science, vol. 6, pp. 244–248, 2001.
- E. J. Wanless and W. A. Ducker, “Organization of sodium dodecyl sulfate at the graphite-solution interface,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 100, no. 8, pp. 3207–3214, 1996.
- D. Mobius and R. Miller, Organized Monolayers and Assemblies: Structure, Processes and Function, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2002.
- R. P. Sperline, “Infrared spectroscopic study of the crystalline phases of sodium dodecyl sulfate,” Langmuir, vol. 13, no. 14, pp. 3715–3726, 1997.
- R. P. Sperline, Y. Song, and H. Freiser, “Temperature dependent structure of adsorbed sodium dodecyl sulfate at the Al2O3/water interface,” Langmuir, vol. 13, no. 14, pp. 3727–3732, 1997.
- R. G. Snyder, S. L. Hsu, and S. Krimm, “Vibrational spectra in the CH stretching region and the structure of the polymethylene chain,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 395–406, 1978.
- C. R. Flach, J. W. Brauner, and R. Mendelsohn, “Calcium ion interactions with insoluble phospholipid monolayer films at the A/W interface. External reflection-absorption IR studies,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 1994–2001, 1993.
- A. Dicko, H. Bourque, and M. Pézolet, “Study by infrared spectroscopy of the conformation of dipalmitoylphosphatidylglycerol monolayers at the air-water interface and transferred on solid substrates,” Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, vol. 96, no. 1-2, pp. 125–139, 1998.
- A. J. Prosser and E. I. Franses, “Infrared reflection absorption spectroscopy (IRRAS) of aqueous nonsurfactant salts, ionic surfactants, and mixed ionic surfactants,” Langmuir, vol. 18, no. 24, pp. 9234–9242, 2002.
- D. R. Scheuing and J. G. Weers, “A Fourier transform infrared spectroscopic study of dodecyltrimethylammonium chloride/sodium dodecyl sulfate surfactant mixtures,” Langmuir, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 665–671, 1990.
- M. J. Vold and R. D. Vold, Colloid Chemistry, Reinhold, New York, NY, USA, 1964.
- G. B. Sigal, M. Mrksich, and G. M. Whitesides, “Using surface plasmon resonance spectroscopy to measure the association of detergents with self-assembled monolayers of hexadecanethiolate on gold,” Langmuir, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 2749–2755, 1997.
- A. J. Prosser and E. I. Franses, “Adsorption and surface tension of ionic surfactants at the air-water interface: review and evaluation of equilibrium models,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 178, no. 1–3, pp. 1–40, 2001.
- L. L. Norman and A. Badia, “Electrochemical surface plasmon resonance investigation of dodecyl sulfate adsorption to electroactive self-assembled monolayers via ion-pairing interactions,” Langmuir, vol. 23, no. 20, pp. 10198–10208, 2007.
- I. J. Burgess, “Adsorption and aggregation of sodium dodecyl sulfate on Au(111) electrode surfaces,” [M.S. thesis], University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada, 2000.
- I. Burgess, C. A. Jeffrey, X. Cai, G. Szymanski, Z. Galus, and J. Lipkowski, “Direct visualization of the potential-controlled transformation of hemimicellar aggregates of dodecyl sulfate into a condensed monolayer at the Au(111) electrode surface,” Langmuir, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 2607–2616, 1999.
- I. Burgess, V. Zamlynny, G. Szymanski et al., “Electrochemical and neutron reflectivity characterization of dodecyl sulfate adsorption and aggregation at the gold-water interface,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 3355–3367, 2001.
- N. J. Harrick, Internal Reflection Spectroscopy, Harrick Scientific, New York, NY, USA, 1987.
- M. J. Frisch, G. W. Trucks, H. B. Schlegel, et al., GAUSSIAN 03, Gaussian, Pittsburgh, Pa, USA, 2003.
- MOPAC2009 and J. J. P. Stewart, Stewart Computational Chemistry, Colorado Springs, Colo, USA, http://openmopac.net/, 2008.
- A. D. Becke, “Density-functional thermochemistry. III. The role of exact exchange,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 5648–5652, 1993.
- C. Lee, W. Yang, and R. G. Parr, “Development of the Colle-Salvetti correlation-energy formula into a functional of the electron density,” Physical Review B, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 785–789, 1988.
- M. J. S. Dewar, E. G. Zoebisch, E. F. Healy, and J. J. P. Stewart, “AM1: a new general purpose quantum mechanical molecular model,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 107, no. 13, pp. 3902–3909, 1985.
- G. B. Rocha, R. O. Freire, A. M. Simas, and J. J. P. Stewart, “RM1: a reparameterization of AM1 for H, C, N, O, P, S, F, Cl, Br, and I,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1101–1111, 2006.
- J. J. P. Stewart, “Optimization of parameters for semiempirical methods V: modification of NDDO approximations and application to 70 elements,” Journal of Molecular Modeling, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 1173–1213, 2007.
- M. S. Akhter and S. M. Alawi, “Micellar behaviour of cetyltrimethylammonium bromide in N-methyl acetamide-alkanol and N,N-dimethyl acetamide-alkanol mixtures,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 196, no. 2-3, pp. 163–174, 2002.
- N. C. de Souza, J. R. Silva, M. A. Pereira-da-Silva et al., “Dynamic scale theory for characterizing surface morphology of layer-by-layer films of poly(o-methoxyaniline),” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 548–552, 2004.
- H. S. Silva, T. M. Uehara, K. Bergamaski, and P. B. Miranda, “Molecular ordering in layer-by-layer polyelectrolyte films studied by sum-frequency vibrational spectroscopy: the effects of drying procedures,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 3399–3405, 2008.
- T. J. Halthur, P. M. Claesson, and U. M. Elofsson, “Stability of polypeptide multilayers as studied by in situ ellipsometry: effects of drying and post-buildup changes in temperature and pH,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 126, no. 51, pp. 17009–17015, 2004.
- T. Kawai, H. Kamio, T. Kondo, and K. Kon-No, “Effects of concentration and temperature on SDS monolayers at the air—solution interface studied by infrared external reflection spectroscopy,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 10, pp. 4497–4500, 2005.
- T. C. Wong, N. B. Wong, and P. A. Tanner, “A fourier transform IR study of the phase transitions and molecular order in the hexadecyltrimethylammonium sulfate/water system,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 186, no. 2, pp. 325–331, 1997.
- J. G. Weers and D. R. Scheuing, “Structure/performance relationships in monoalkyl/dialkyl cationic surfactant mixtures,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 145, no. 2, pp. 563–580, 1991.
- R. A. Vaia, R. K. Teukolsky, and E. P. Giannelis, “Interlayer structure and molecular environment of alkylammonium layered silicates,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1017–1022, 1994.
- J. G. Weers and D. R. Scheuing, “FTIR spectroscopy in colloid and interface science,” in ACS Symposium Series 447, J. G. Weers and D. R. Scheuing, Eds., pp. 87–122, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, 1990.
- R. G. Snyder, “Vibrational study of the chain conformation of the liquid n-paraffins and molten polyethylene,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1316–1360, 1967.
- F. Holler and J. B. Callis, “Conformation of the hydrocarbon chains of sodium dodecyl sulfate molecules in micelles: an FTIR study,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 2053–2058, 1989.
- R. P. Sperline, Y. Song, and H. Freiser, “Fourier transform infrared attenuated total reflection spectroscopy linear dichroism study of sodium dodecyl sulfate adsorption at the Al2O3/water interface using Al2O3-coated optics,” Langmuir, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 2183–2191, 1992.
- R. P. Sperline and Y. Song, “Temperature independent adsorbate structure of 4-octyl-, 4-decyl-, and 4-dodecylbenzenesulfonates at the Al2O3/water interface,” Langmuir, vol. 13, no. 26, pp. 6985–6994, 1997.
- T. Kawai, J. Umemura, and T. Takenaka, “Fourier-transform infrared study on the phase transitions of a sodium dodecyl sulfate-water system,” Bulletin of the Institute for Chemical Research, Kyoto University, vol. 61, pp. 314–323, 1983.
- T. Kawai, H. Kamio, and K. Kon-No, “Infrared external reflection spectroscopy of sodium dodecyl sulfate monolayers at the air-solution interface: removal of bulk-phase water concentration effects,” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 18, pp. 4964–4966, 1998.
- K. D. Dobson, A. D. Roddick-Lanzilotta, and A. J. McQuillan, “In situ infrared spectroscopic investigation of adsorption of sodium dodecylsulfate and of cetyltrimethylammonium bromide surfactants to TiO2, ZrO2, Al2O3, and Ta2O5 particle films from aqueous solutions,” Vibrational spectroscopy, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 287–295, 2000.
- H. Li and C. P. Tripp, “Use of infrared bands of the surfactant headgroup to identify mixed surfactant structures adsorbed on Titania,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 108, no. 47, pp. 18318–18326, 2004.
- M. Machida, K. Kawamura, T. Kawano, D. Zhang, and K. Ikeue, “Layered Pr-dodecyl sulfate mesophases as precursors of Pr2O2SO4 having a large oxygen-storage capacity,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 30, pp. 3084–3090, 2006.
- N. V. Venkataraman and S. Vasudevan, “Conformation of methylene chains in an intercalated surfactant bilayer,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 105, no. 9, pp. 1805–1812, 2001.
- T. Kawai, J. Umemura, T. Takenaka, M. Kodama, and S. Seki, “Fourier transform infrared study on the phase transitions of an octadecyltrimethylammonium chloride-water system,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 56–61, 1985.
- K. V. Padalkar, V. G. Gaikar, and V. K. Aswal, “Characterization of mixed micelles of sodium cumene sulfonate with sodium dodecyl sulfate and cetyl trimethylammonium bromide by SANS, FTIR spectroscopy and NMR spectroscopy,” Journal of Molecular Liquids, vol. 144, no. 1-2, pp. 40–49, 2009.
- Z. Li, W. T. Jiang, and H. Hong, “An FTIR investigation of hexadecyltrimethylammonium intercalation into rectorite,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 1525–1534, 2008.
- X. Yu, “The preparation and characterization of cetyltrimethylammonium intercalated muscovite,” Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 98, no. 1–3, pp. 70–79, 2007.
- X. Yu, L. Zhao, X. Gao, X. Zhang, and N. Wu, “The intercalation of cetyltrimethylammonium cations into muscovite by a two-step process: II. The intercalation of cetyltrimethylammonium cations into Li-muscovite,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 179, no. 5, pp. 1525–1535, 2006.
- J. Zhu, H. He, L. Zhu, X. Wen, and F. Deng, “Characterization of organic phases in the interlayer of montmorillonite using FTIR and 13C NMR,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 286, no. 1, pp. 239–244, 2005.
- R. Zhu, T. Wang, F. Ge, W. Chen, and Z. You, “Intercalation of both CTMAB and Al13 into montmorillonite,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 335, no. 1, pp. 77–83, 2009.
- R. A. Campbell, S. R. W. Parker, J. P. R. Day, and C. D. Bain, “External reflection FTIR spectroscopy of the cationic surfactant hexadecyltrimethylammonium bromide (CTAB) on an overflowing cylinder,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 20, pp. 8740–8753, 2004.
- R. G. Snyder, “Vibrational spectra of crystalline n-paraffins: 2. Intermolecular effects,” Journal of Molecular Spectroscopy, vol. 7, pp. 116–144, 1964.
- N. C. Chia and R. Mendelsohn, “CH2 wagging modes of unsaturated acyl chains as IR probes of conformational order in methyl alkenoates and phospholipid bilayers,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 96, no. 25, pp. 10543–10547, 1992.
- N. C. Chia, C. Vilcheze, R. Bittman, and R. Mendelsohn, “Interactions of cholesterol and synthetic sterols with phosphatidylcholines as deduced from infrared CH2 wagging progression intensities,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 115, no. 25, pp. 12050–12055, 1993.
- L. Senak, M. A. Davies, and R. Mendelsohn, “A quantitative IR study of hydrocarbon chain conformation in alkanes and phospholipids: CH2 wagging modes in disordered bilayer and HII phases,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 2565–2571, 1991.
- M. E. Tuttolomondo, A. Navarro, T. Peña, E. L. Varetti, and A. Ben Altabef, “Theoretical structure and vibrational analysis of Ethyl methanesulfonate, CH3SO2OCH2CH3,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 109, no. 35, pp. 7946–7956, 2005.
- M. E. Tuttolomondo, A. Navarro, T. Peña, E. L. Varetti, S. F. Parker, and A. B. Altabef, “Conformational and vibrational analysis of methyl methanesulfonate, CH3SO2OCH3,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 113, no. 29, pp. 8401–8408, 2009.
- N. Idupulapati, R. Devanathan, and M. Dupuis, “Ab initio study of hydration and proton dissociation in ionomer membranes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 114, no. 25, pp. 6904–6912, 2010.
- D. S. Warren and A. J. McQuillan, “Infrared spectroscopic and DFT vibrational mode study of perfluoro(2-ethoxyethane) sulfonic acid (PES), a model nafion side-chain molecule,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 112, no. 34, pp. 10535–10543, 2008.
- S. P. Gejji, K. Hermansson, and J. Lindgren, “Ab initio vibrational frequencies of the triflic acid molecule,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 97, no. 27, pp. 6986–6989, 1993.