- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 146585, 12 pages
Polyethylene Glycols as Efficient Media for Decarboxylative Nitration of α,β-Unsaturated Aromatic Carboxylic Acids by Ceric Ammonium Nitrate in Acetonitrile Medium: A Kinetic and Mechanistic Study
Department of Chemistry, Osmania University, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh 500 007, India
Received 19 September 2012; Accepted 5 December 2012
Academic Editor: Leonardo Palmisano
Copyright © 2013 K. Ramesh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. L. Ho, “Ceric ion oxidation in organic chemistry,” Synthesis, vol. 6, pp. 347–354, 1973.
- V. Nair, L. Balagopal, R. Rajan, and J. Mathew, “Recent advances in synthetic transformations mediated by cerium(IV) ammonium nitrate,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 21–30, 2004.
- J. R. Hwu and K. Y. King, “Versatile reagent ceric ammonium nitrate in modern chemical synthesis,” Current Science, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 1043–1053, 2001.
- V. Nair and A. Deepthi, “Cerium(IV) ammonium nitrate—a versatile single-electron oxidant,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 1862–1891, 2007.
- V. Singh, V. Sapehiyia, and G. L. Kad, “Ultrasonically activated oxidation of hydroquinones to quinones catalysed by ceric ammonium nitrate doped on metal exchanged K-10 clay,” Synthesis, no. 2, pp. 198–200, 2003.
- H. M. Chawla and R. S. Mittal, “Oxidative nitration by silica gel-supported cerium(IV) ammonium nitrate,” Synthesis, vol. 1, pp. 70–72, 1985.
- S. Dincturk and J. H. J. Ridd, “Nitration of an electron-rich aromatic compound by CAN-SiO2,” Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions, vol. 2, pp. 965–969, 1982.
- A. S. Sarac, “Redox polymerization,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1149–1204, 1999.
- I. E. Marko, A. Ates, A. Gautier et al., “Cerium(IV)-catalyzed deprotection of acetals and ketals under mildly basic conditions,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol. 38, no. 21, pp. 3207–3209, 1999.
- N. Maulide, J. C. Vanherck, A. Gautier, and I. E. Markó, “Mild and neutral deprotections catalyzed by cerium(IV) ammonium nitrate,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 381–392, 2007.
- J. Christoffers, T. Werner, and M. Rössle, “Cerium-catalyzed oxidative C–C bond forming reactions,” Catalysis Today, vol. 121, no. 1-2, pp. 22–26, 2007.
- M. Rössle, T. Werner, W. Frey, and J. Christoffers, “Cerium-catalyzed, aerobic oxidative synthesis of 1,2-dioxane derivatives from styrene and their fragmentation into 1,4-dicarbonyl compounds,” European Journal of Organic Chemistry, no. 23, pp. 5031–5038, 2005.
- E. Ganin and I. Amer, “Cerium-catalyzed selective oxidation of alkylbenzenes with bromate salts,” Synthetic Communications, vol. 25, no. 20, pp. 3149–3154, 1995.
- K. Auty, B. C. Gilbert, C. B. Thomas, S. W. Brown, C. W. Jones, and W. R. Sanderson, “The selective oxidation of toluenes to benzaldehydes by cerium(III), hydrogen peroxide and bromide ion,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis A, vol. 117, no. 1–3, pp. 279–287, 1997.
- R. P. Kreh, R. M. Spotnitz, and J. T. Lundquist, “Mediated electrochemical synthesis of aromatic aldehydes, ketones, and quinones using ceric methanesulfonate,” Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 1526–1531, 1989.
- H. Feuer and A. T. Nielsen, Nitro Compounds Recent Advances in Synthesis and Chemistry, vol. 9, VCH Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- A. G. M. Barrett, “Heterosubstituted nitroalkenes in synthesis,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 95–127, 1991.
- R. S. Varma and G. W. Kabalka, “Nitroalkenes in the synthesis of heterocyclic compounds,” Heterocycles, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 2645–2677, 1986.
- S. E. Denmark and L. R. Marcin, “A general method for the preparation of 2,2-disubstituted 1-nitroalkenes,” Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 15, pp. 3850–3856, 1993.
- M. Node, A. Itoh, K. Nishide et al., “Preparation of nitroalkenes: Substitution reaction via addition-elimination using β-nitrovinyl sulfoxides,” Synthesis, no. 11, pp. 1119–1124, 1992.
- R. Ballini, R. Castagnani, and M. Petrini, “Chemoselective synthesis of functionalized conjugated nitroalkenes,” Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 2160–2162, 1992.
- S. S. Jew, H. D. Kim, Y. S. Cho, and C. H. Cook, “A practical preparations of conjugated nitroalkenes,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 1986, no. 10, pp. 1747–1748.
- W. W. Sy and A. W. By, “Nitration of substituted styrenes with nitryl iodide,” Tetrahedron Letters, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1193–1196, 1985.
- V. V. Namboodiri and R. S. Varma, “Microwave-accelerated Suzuki cross-coupling reaction in polyethylene glycol (PEG),” Green Chemistry, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 146–148, 2001.
- A. Haimov and R. Neumann, “Polyethylene glycol as a non-ionic liquid solvent for polyoxometalate catalyzed aerobic oxidation,” Chemical Communications, no. 8, pp. 876–877, 2002.
- L. Heiss, “Polyethylene glycol monomethyl ether-modified pig liver esterase: Preparation, characterization and catalysis of enantioselective hydrolysis in water and acylation in organic solvents,” Tetrahedron Letters, vol. 36, no. 22, pp. 3833–3836, 1995.
- S. Chandrasekhar, C. Narsihmulu, S. S. Sultana, and N. R. Reddy, “Osmium tetroxide in poly(ethylene glycol) (PEG): a recyclable reaction medium for rapid asymmetric dihydroxylation under sharpless conditions,” Chemical Communications, vol. 9, no. 14, pp. 1716–1717, 2003.
- K. Tanemura, T. Suzuki, Y. Nishida, and T. Horaguchi, “Aldol condensation in water using polyethylene glycol 400,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 576–577, 2005.
- R. Kumar, P. Chaudhary, S. Nimesh, and R. Chandra, “Polyethylene glycol as a non-ionic liquid solvent for Michael addition reaction of amines to conjugated alkenes,” Green Chemistry, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 356–358, 2006.
- J. R. Johnson, “The perkin reaction and related reactions,” Organic Reactions, vol. 1, p. 210, 1942.
- C. I. Chiriac, F. Tanasa, and M. Onciu, “A novel approach in cinnamic acid synthesis: direct synthesis of cinnamic acids from aromatic aldehydes and aliphatic carboxylic acids in the presence of boron tribromide,” Molecules, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 481–487, 2005.
- H. A. Benesi and J. H. Hildebrand, “Ultraviolet absorption bands of iodine and aromatic hydrocarbons,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 71, pp. 1832–1833, 1949.
- M. Santappa and B. Sethuram, “Oxidation studies. IV. Kinetics of oxidation of HCHO and some alcohols by ceric salts in HNO3 medium,” Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences Section A, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 78–89, 1968.
- K. V. Rao and S. S. Muhammed, “Oxidation of alcohols by cerium(IV). I. Oxidation of methanol by ceric perchlorate,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 943–949, 1963.
- S. S. Muhammed and B. Sethuram, “Oxidation of alcohols by cerium(IV). I. Oxidation of isopropanol and secondary butanol by ceric nitrate,” Acta Chimica Hungarica, vol. 46, pp. 115–124, 1965.
- N. Dutt, R. R. Nagori, and R. N. Mehrotra, “Kinetics and mechanisms of oxidations by metal ions. Part VI. Oxidation of α-hydroxyl acids by cerium (IV) in aqueous nitric acid,” Canadian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 19–23, 1986.
- F. M. Menger and C. E. Portnoy, “Chemistry of reactions proceeding inside molecular aggregates,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 89, no. 18, pp. 4698–4730, 1967.
- K. A. Connors, Chemical Kinetics: The Study of Reaction Rates in Solution, VCH, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- J. H. Espenson, Chemical Kinetics and Reaction Mechanism, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1981.
- V. Jagannadham, “The change in entropy of activation due to solvation (hydration) of ions: proton versus carbocation,” Chemistry (the Bulgarian Journal of Chemical Education), vol. 18, p. 89, 2009.