- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 159712, 9 pages
Comparative Biosorption Studies of Hexavalent Chromium Ion onto Raw and Modified Palm Branches
Surface Chemistry and Catalysis Laboratory, National Research Centre, El-Dokki, Cairo 12622, Egypt
Received 29 March 2013; Revised 20 May 2013; Accepted 9 June 2013
Academic Editor: Marc Koper
Copyright © 2013 Mona A. Shouman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Dobrowolski and M. Otto, “Study of chromium(VI) adsorption onto modified activated carbons with respect to analytical application,” Adsorption, vol. 16, no. 4-5, pp. 279–286, 2010.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Toxicological Review of Hexavalent Chromium, National Center for Environmental Assessment, Office of Research and Development, Washington, DC, USA, 1998.
- R. J. Irwin, M. V. N. Mouwerik, L. Stevens, M. D. Seese, and W. Basham, Environmental Contaminants Encyclopedia Chromium (VI) (Hexavalent Chromium) Entry, National Park Service, Water Resources Division, Fort Collins, Colo, USA, 1971.
- D. Mohan, K. P. Singh, and V. K. Singh, “Trivalent chromium removal from wastewater using low cost activated carbon derived from agricultural waste material and activated carbon fabric cloth,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 135, no. 1–3, pp. 280–295, 2006.
- M.-N. Zhang, X.-P. Liao, and B. Shi, “Adsorption of surfactants on chromium leather waste,” Journal of the Society of Leather Technologies and Chemists, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2006.
- L. Ramrakhiani, R. Majumder, and S. Khowala, “Removal of hexavalent chromium by heat inactivated fungal biomass of termitomyces clypeatus: surface characterization and mechanism of biosorption,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 171, no. 3, pp. 1060–1068, 2011.
- S. Rengaraj, C. K. Joo, Y. Kim, and J. Yi, “Kinetics of removal of chromium from water and electronic process wastewater by ion exchange resins: 1200H, 1500H and IRN97H,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 102, no. 2-3, pp. 257–275, 2003.
- G. Ghosh and P. K. Bhattacharya, “Hexavalent chromium ion removal through micellar enhanced ultrafiltration,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2006.
- A. A. Attia, S. A. Khedr, and S. A. Elkholy, “Adsorption of chromium ion (VI) by acid activated carbon,” Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 183–193, 2010.
- J. Cui, N. Zhao, N. Wei, J. Li, Z. Qiao, and F. He, “Surface properties of chemically modified activated carbons for adsorption rate of Cr (VI),” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 115, no. 1-2, pp. 133–138, 2005.
- W. E. Marshall, L. H. Wartelle, D. E. Boler, M. M. Johns, and C. A. Toles, “Enhanced metal adsorption by soybean hulls modified with citric acid,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 263–268, 1999.
- H.-D. Choi, J.-M. Cho, K. Baek, J.-S. Yang, and J.-Y. Lee, “Influence of cationic surfactant on adsorption of Cr(VI) onto activated carbon,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 161, no. 2-3, pp. 1565–1568, 2009.
- L. H. Wartelle and W. E. Marshall, “Citric acid modified agricultural by-products as copper ion adsorbents,” Advances in Environmental Research, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2000.
- C. A. Basar, C. Aydiner, S. Kara, and B. Keskinler, “Removal of CrO4 anions from waters using surfactant enhanced hybrid PAC/MF process,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 270–280, 2006.
- K. Baek and T. W. Yang, “Competitive bind of anionic metals with cetylpyridinium chloride micelle in micellar-enhanced ultrafiltration,” Desalination, vol. 167, no. 1–3, pp. 101–110, 2004.
- S. Babel and T. A. Kurniawan, “Cr(VI) removal from synthetic wastewater using coconut shell charcoal and commercial activated carbon modified with oxidizing agents and/or chitosan,” Chemosphere, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 951–967, 2004.
- Y. C. Wong, Y. S. Szeto, W. H. Cheung, and G. McKay, “Adsorption of acid dyes on chitosan-equilibrium isotherm analyses,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 693–702, 2004.
- S. Chatterjee and S. H. Woo, “The removal of nitrate from aqueous solutions by chitosan hydrogel beads,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 164, no. 2-3, pp. 1012–1018, 2009.
- H.-D. Choi, M.-C. Shin, D.-H. Kim, C.-S. Jeon, and K. Baek, “Removal characteristics of reactive black 5 using surfactant-modified activated carbon,” Desalination, vol. 223, no. 1–3, pp. 290–298, 2008.
- D. Park, Y.-S. Yun, D. S. Lee, S.-R. Lim, and J. M. Park, “Column study on Cr(VI)-reduction using the brown seaweed Ecklonia biomass,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 1377–1384, 2006.
- S. M. de Oliveira Brito, H. M. C. Andrade, L. F. Soares, and R. P. de Azevedo, “Brazil nut shells as a new biosorbent to remove methylene blue and indigo carmine from aqueous solutions,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 174, no. 1–3, pp. 84–92, 2010.
- S. Panumati, K. Chudecha, P. Vankhaew, et al., “Adsorption of phenol from diluted aqueous solutions by activated carbons obtained from bagasse, oil palm shell and pericarp of rubber fruit,” Songklanakarin Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 185–189, 2008.
- S. Chatterjee, M. W. Lee, and S. H. Woo, “Influence of impregnation of chitosan beads with cetyl trimethyl ammonium bromide on their structure and adsorption of congo red from aqueous solutions,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 155, no. 1-2, pp. 254–259, 2009.
- V. Swarnakar, N. Agrawal, and R. Tamar, “Sorption of Cr (VI) and As (V) on HDTMA-modified zeolites,” International Journal of Computational Science and Engineering, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 1–9, 2011.
- E. Malkoc and Y. Nuhoglu, “Fixed bed studies for the sorption of chromium(VI) onto tea factory waste,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 61, no. 13, pp. 4363–4372, 2006.
- L. Dambies, C. Guimon, S. Yiacoumi, and E. Guibal, “Characterization of metal ion interactions with chitosan by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy,” Colloids and Interface, vol. 177, no. 2-3, pp. 203–214, 2001.
- H.-D. Choi, W.-S. Jung, J.-M. Cho, B.-G. Ryu, J.-S. Yang, and K. Baek, “Adsorption of Cr(VI) onto cationic surfactant-modified activated carbon,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 166, no. 2-3, pp. 642–646, 2009.
- A. Sharma and K. G. Bhattacharyya, “Adsorption of chromium (VI) on azadirachta indica (Neem) leaf powder,” Adsorption, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 327–338, 2005.
- J. Febrianto, A. N. Kosasih, J. Sunarso, Y. H. Ju, N. Indraswati, and S. Ismadji, “Equilibrium and kinetic studies in adsorption of heavy metals using biosorbent: a summary of recent studies,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 162, no. 2-3, pp. 616–645, 2009.
- Z. Aksu, “Determination of the equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic parameters of the batch biosorption of nickel(II) ions onto Chlorella vulgaris,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 89–99, 2002.
- E. Karadag, D. Saraydin, and O. Guven, “Cationic dye adsorption by acrylamide/itaconic acid hydrogels in aqueous solutions,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 574–578, 1997.
- C. H. Giles, T. H. MacEwan, S. N. Nakhwa, and D. Smith, “Studies in adsorption. part XI. a system of classification of solution adsorption isotherms, and its use in diagnosis of adsorption mechanisms and in measurement of specific surface areas of solids,” Journal of the Chemical Society, vol. 786, pp. 3973–3993, 1960.
- X.-J. Hu, J.-S. Wang, Y.-G. Liu, et al., “Adsorption of chromium (VI) by ethylenediamine-modified cross-linked magnetic chitosan resin: isotherms, kinetics and thermodynamics,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 185, no. 1, pp. 306–314, 2011.
- U. Shafique, A. Ijaz, M. Salman, et al., “Removal of arsenic from water using pine leaves,” Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 256–263, 2012.
- Y. A. Aydin and N. D. Aksoy, “Adsorption of chromium on chitosan: optimization, kinetics and thermodynamics,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 151, no. 1–3, pp. 188–194, 2009.
- W. H. Cheung, Y. S. Szeto, and G. McKay, “Intraparticle diffusion processes during acid dye adsorption onto chitosan,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 15, pp. 2897–2904, 2007.
- Z. Aksu and F. Gonen, “Biosorption of phenol by immobilized activated sludge in a continuous packed bed: prediction of breakthrough curves,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 599–613, 2004.
- T. V. N. Padmesh, K. Vijayaraghavan, G. Sekaran, and M. Velan, “Batch and column studies on biosorption of acid dyes on fresh water macro alga Azolla filiculoides,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 125, no. 1–3, pp. 121–129, 2005.
- E. Malkoc, Y. Nuhoglu, and M. Dundar, “Adsorption of chromium(VI) on pomace-an olive oil industry waste: batch and column studies,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 142–151, 2006.