- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 394697, 8 pages
Second Harmonic Generation, Electrooptical Pockels Effect, and Static First-Order Hyperpolarizabilities of 2,2′-Bithiophene Conformers: An HF, MP2, and DFT Theoretical Investigation
Department of Chemistry, University of Catania, Viale A. Doria 6, 95125 Catania, Italy
Received 29 September 2013; Accepted 30 October 2013
Academic Editor: Miquel Solà
Copyright © 2013 Andrea Alparone. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Roncali, “Conjugated poly(thiophenes): synthesis, functionalization, and applications,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 711–738, 1992.
- J. Zyss, Molecular Nonlinear Optics: Materials, Physics and Devices, Academic Press, London, UK, 1994.
- R. D. McCullough, “The chemistry of conducting polythiophenes,” Advanced Materials, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 93–116, 1998.
- D. Fichou, Ed., Handbook of Oligo- and Polythiophenes, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 1999.
- A. Mishra, C.-Q. Ma, and P. Bäuerle, “Functional oligothiophenes: molecular design for multidimensional nanoarchitectures and their applications,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 1141–1176, 2009.
- V. Hernandez, C. Castiglioni, M. Del Zoppo, and G. Zerbi, “Confinement potential and π-electron delocalization in polyconjugated organic materials,” Physical Review B, vol. 50, no. 14, pp. 9815–9823, 1994.
- J. L. Brédas, G. B. Street, B. Thémans, and J. M. André, “Organic polymers based on aromatic rings (polyparaphenylene, polypyrrole, polythiophene): evolution of the electronic properties as a function of the torsion angle between adjacent rings,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 1323–1329, 1985.
- P. A. Chaloner, S. R. Gunatunga, and P. B. Hitchcock, “Redetermination of 2, 2′-bithiophene,” Acta Crystallographica C, vol. 50, pp. 1941–1942, 1994.
- S. Samdal, E. J. Samuelsen, and H. V. Volden, “Molecular conformation of 2,2′-bithiophene determined by gas phase electron diffraction and ab initio calculations,” Synthetic Metals, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 259–265, 1993.
- J. E. Chadwick and B. E. Kohler, “Optical spectra of isolated s-cis- and s-trans-bithiophene: torsional potential in the ground and excited states,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 98, no. 14, pp. 3631–3637, 1994.
- A. Karpfen, C. H. Choi, and M. Kertesz, “Single-bond torsional potentials in conjugated systems: a comparison of ab initio and density functional results,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 101, no. 40, pp. 7426–7433, 1997.
- S. Millefiori, A. Alparone, and A. Millefiori, “Conformational properties of thiophene oligomers,” Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 847–853, 2000.
- G. Raos, A. Famulari, and V. Marcon, “Computational reinvestigation of the bithiophene torsion potential,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 379, no. 3-4, pp. 364–372, 2003.
- V. Lukeš, M. Breza, and S. Biskupič, “Structure and electronic properties of bithiophenes. I. Torsional dependence,” Journal of Molecular Structure, vol. 618, no. 1-2, pp. 93–100, 2002.
- M. A. V. Ribeiro Da Silva, A. F. L. O. M. Santos, J. R. B. Gomes et al., “Thermochemistry of bithiophenes and thienyl radicals. A calorimetric and computational study,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 113, no. 41, pp. 11042–11050, 2009.
- J. S. Salafsky, “Second-harmonic generation as a probe of conformational change in molecules,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 381, no. 5-6, pp. 705–709, 2003.
- G. J. M. Velders, J.-M. Gillet, P. J. Becker, and D. Feil, “Electron density analysis of nonlinear optical materials. An ab initio study of different conformations of benzene derivatives,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 95, no. 22, pp. 8601–8608, 1991.
- E. Hendrickx, K. Clays, A. Persoons, C. Dehu, and J. L. Brédas, “The bacteriorhodopsin chromophore retinal and derivatives: an experimental and theoretical investigation of the second-order optical properties,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 117, no. 12, pp. 3547–3555, 1995.
- J. Lipiński and W. Bartkowiak, “Conformation and solvent dependence of the first and second molecular hyperpolarizabilities of charge-transfer chromophores. Quantum-chemical calculations,” Chemical Physics, vol. 245, no. 1–3, pp. 263–276, 1999.
- V. Keshari, W. M. K. P. Wijekoon, P. N. Prasad, and S. P. Karna, “Hyperpolarizabilities of organic molecules: Ab initio time-dependent coupled perturbed Hartree—fock—roothaan studies of basic heterocyclic structures,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 99, no. 22, pp. 9045–9050, 1995.
- S. Millefiori and A. Alparone, “(Hyper)polarizability of chalcogenophenes C4H4X (X = O, S, Se, Te) conventional ab initio and density functional theory study,” Journal of Molecular Structure: THEOCHEM, vol. 431, no. 1-2, pp. 59–78, 1998.
- S. Millefiori and A. Alparone, “Theoretical determination of the vibrational and electronic (hyper)polarizabilities of C4H4X (X = O, S, Se, Te) heterocycles,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 2495–2501, 2000.
- K. Kamada, M. Ueda, H. Nagao et al., “Molecular design for organic nonlinear optics: polarizability and hyperpolarizabilities of furan homologues investigated by ab initio molecular orbital method,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 104, no. 20, pp. 4723–4734, 2000.
- K. Jug, S. Chiodo, P. Calaminici, A. Avramopoulos, and M. G. Papadopoulos, “Electronic and vibrational polarizabilities and hyperpolarizabilities of azoles: a comparative study of the structure-polarization relationship,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 107, no. 20, pp. 4172–4183, 2003.
- B. Jansik, B. Schimmelpfennig, P. Norman, P. Macak, H. Ågren, and K. Ohta, “Relativistic effects on linear and non-linear polarizabilities of the furan homologues,” Journal of Molecular Structure, vol. 633, no. 2-3, pp. 237–246, 2003.
- A. D. Becke, “A new mixing of Hartree-Fock and local density-functional theories,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 1372–1377, 1993.
- C. Lee, W. Yang, and R. G. Parr, “Development of the Colle-Salvetti correlation-energy formula into a functional of the electron density,” Physical Review B, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 785–789, 1988.
- J. P. Perdew, K. Burke, and M. Ernzerhof, “Generalized gradient approximation made simple,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 77, no. 18, pp. 3865–3868, 1996.
- F. A. Hamprecht, A. J. Cohen, D. J. Tozer, and N. C. Handy, “Development and assessment of new exchange-correlation functionals,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 109, no. 15, pp. 6264–6271, 1998.
- J.-D. Chai and M. Head-Gordon, “Long-range corrected hybrid density functionals with damped atom-atom dispersion corrections,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 10, no. 44, pp. 6615–6620, 2008.
- A. Alparone, “Comparative study of CCSD(T) and DFT methods: electronic (hyper)polarizabilities of glycine,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 514, no. 1–3, pp. 21–25, 2011.
- A. Alparone, “Evolution of electric dipole (hyper)polarizabilities of -strand polyglycine single chains: an ab initio and DFT theoretical study,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 117, pp. 5184–5194, 2013.
- M. Alipour and A. Mohajeri, “Assessing the performance of density functional theory for the dynamic polarizabilities of amino acids: treatment of correlation and role of exact exchange,” International Journal of Quantum Chemistry, vol. 113, pp. 1803–1811, 2013.
- A. Alparone, “Theoretical study on the static and dynamic first-order hyperpolarizabilities of adenine tautomers,” Molecular Physics, 2013.
- A. J. Sadlej, “Medium-size polarized basis sets for high-level correlated calculations of molecular electric properties,” Collection of Czechoslovak Chemical Communications, vol. 53, pp. 1995–2016, 1988.
- U. Eckart, M. P. Fülscher, L. Serrano-Andrés, and A. J. Sadlej, “Static electric properties of conjugated cyclic ketones and thioketones,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 113, no. 15, pp. 6235–6244, 2000.
- T. Pluta and A. J. Sadlej, “Electric properties of urea and thiourea,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 136–146, 2001.
- U. Eckart, V. E. Ingamells, M. G. Papadopoulos, and A. J. Sadlej, “Vibrational effects on electric properties of cyclopropenone and cyclopropenethione,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 735–745, 2001.
- A. Alparone and S. Millefiori, “Gas and solution phase electronic and vibrational (hyper)polarizabilities in the series formaldehyde, formamide and urea: CCSD(T) and DFT theoretical study,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 416, no. 4–6, pp. 282–288, 2005.
- D. E. Woon and T. H. Dunning Jr., “Gaussian basis sets for use in correlated molecular calculations. IV. Calculation of static electrical response properties,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 2975–2988, 1994.
- H. Sekino and R. J. Bartlett, “Frequency dependent nonlinear optical properties of molecules,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 976–989, 1986.
- S. P. Karna and M. Dupuis, “Frequency dependent nonlinear optical properties of molecules: formulation and implementation in the HONDO program,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 12, pp. 487–504, 1991.
- H. A. Kurtz, J. J. P. Stewart, and K. M. Dieter, “Calculation of the nonlinear optical properties of molecules,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 11, pp. 82–87, 1990.
- D. Birnbaum and B. E. Kohler, “Lowest energy excited singlet state of 2,2′:5′,2′- terthiophene, an oligomer of polythiophene,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 3506–3510, 1989.
- S. Siegert, F. Vogeler, C. M. Marian, and R. Weinkauf, “Throwing light on dark states of α-oligothiophenes of chain lengths 2 to 6: radical anion photoelectron spectroscopy and excited-state theory,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 13, no. 21, pp. 10350–10363, 2011.
- M. J. Frisch, G. W. Trucks, H. B. Schlegel et al., GAUSSIAN 09, Revision A. 02, Gaussian, Wallingford, Conn, USA, 2009.
- B. Bak, D. Christensen, L. Hansen-Nygaard, and J. Rastrup-Andersen, “The structure of thiophene,” Journal of Molecular Spectroscopy, vol. 7, no. 1–6, pp. 58–63, 1961.
- J. E. Rice, R. D. Amos, S. M. Colwell, N. C. Handy, and J. Sanz, “Frequency dependent hyperpolarizabilities with application to formaldehyde and methyl fluoride,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 8828–8839, 1990.
- H. Sekino and R. J. Bartlett, “Molecular hyperpolarizabilities,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 3022–3037, 1993.
- F. Sim, S. Chin, M. Dupuis, and J. E. Rice, “Electron correlation effects in hyperpolarizabilities of p-nitroaniline,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 1158–1163, 1993.
- G. Maroulis, “Hyperpolarizability of H2O revisited: accurate estimate of the basis set limit and the size of electron correlation effects,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 289, no. 3-4, pp. 403–411, 1998.
- D. Xenides and G. Maroulis, “Basis set and electron correlation effects on the first and second static hyperpolarizability of SO2,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 319, no. 5-6, pp. 618–624, 2000.
- A. Alparone, H. Reis, and M. G. Papadopoulos, “Theoretical investigation of the (hyper)polarizabilities of pyrrole Homologues C4H4XH (X = N, P, As, Sb, Bi). A coupled-cluster and density functional theory study,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 110, no. 17, pp. 5909–5918, 2006.
- A. Alparone, “Dipole (hyper)polarizabilities of fluorinated benzenes: an ab initio investigation,” Journal of Fluorine Chemistry, vol. 144, pp. 94–101, 2012.
- T. Ogata and K. Kozima, “Microwave spectrum, barrier height to internal rotation of methyl group of 3-methylthiophene, and dipole moments of 3-methylthiophene and thiophene,” Journal of Molecular Spectroscopy, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 38–46, 1972.
- C. G. Le Fèvre, R. J. W. Le Fèvre, B. Purnachandra Rao, and M. R. Smith, “Molecular polarisability. Ellipsoids of polarisability for certain fundamental heterocycles,” Journal of the Chemical Society, pp. 1188–1192, 1959.
- M. H. Coonan, I. E. Craven, M. R. Hesling, G. L. D. Ritchie, and M. A. Spackman, “Anisotropic molecular polarizabilities, dipole moments, and quadrupole moments of (CH2)2X, (CH3)2X, and C4H4X (X = O, S, Se). Comparison of experimental results and ab initio calculations,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 96, no. 18, pp. 7301–7307, 1992.
- G. R. Dennis, I. R. Gentle, G. L. D. Ritchie, and C. G. Andrieu, “Field-gradient-induced birefringence in dilute solutions of furan, thiophen and selenophen in cyclohexane,” Journal of the Chemical Society, Faraday Transactions 2, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 539–545, 1983.
- M.-T. Zhao, B. P. Singh, and P. N. Prasad, “A systematic study of polarizability and microscopic third-order optical nonlinearity in thiophene oligomers,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 5535–5541, 1988.
- B. Champagne, E. A. Perpète, S. J. A. Van Gisbergen et al., “Assessment of conventional density functional schemes for computing the polarizabilities and hyperpolarizabilities of conjugated oligomers: an ab initio investigation of polyacetylene chains,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 109, no. 23, pp. 10489–10498, 1998.