- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 485865, 8 pages
Demicellization of Polyethylene Oxide in Water Solution under Static Magnetic Field Exposure Studied by FTIR Spectroscopy
Department of Physics, University of Messina, 98166 Messina, Italy
Received 19 June 2013; Accepted 19 September 2013
Academic Editor: Sergei Tretiak
Copyright © 2013 Emanuele Calabrò and Salvatore Magazù. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Meng, Z. Zhong, and J. Feijen, “Stimuli-responsive polymersomes for programmed drug delivery,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 197–209, 2009.
- R. P. Brinkhuis, F. P. J. T. Rutjes, and J. C. M. Van Hest, “Polymeric vesicles in biomedical applications,” Polymer Chemistry, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 1449–1462, 2011.
- S. B. La, T. Okano, and K. Kataoka, “Preparation and characterization of the micelle-forming polymeric drug: indomethacin-incorporated poly(ethylene oxide)-poly(b-benzyl L-aspartate) block copolymer micelles,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 85, p. 85, 1996.
- T. Riley, T. Govender, S. Stolnik et al., “Colloidal stability and drug incorporation aspects of micellar-like PLA-PEG nanoparticles,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 16, no. 1-4, pp. 147–159, 1999.
- A. Keller, “A note on single crystals in polymers—evidence for a folded chain configuration,” Philosophical Magazine, vol. 2, no. 21, pp. 1171–1175, 1957.
- P. H. Till, “The growth of single crystals of linear polyethylene,” Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 24, pp. 301–306, 1957.
- K. G. McLaren, “Dynamic mechanical studies of irradiation effects in polytetrafluoroethylene,” British Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 16, no. 2, article no. 311, pp. 185–193, 1965.
- H. S. Kaufman and J. J. Falcetta, Introduction to Polymer Science and Technology: An SPE Textbook, Wiley & Sons, 1977.
- S. Magazù, “NMR, static and dynamic light and neutron scattering investigations on polymeric aqueous solutions,” Journal of Molecular Structure, vol. 523, no. 1-3, pp. 47–59, 2000.
- S. Magazù, G. Maisano, F. Migliardo, and A. Benedetto, “Elastic incoherent neutron scattering on systems of biophysical interest: mean square displacement evaluation from self-distribution function,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 112, no. 30, pp. 8936–8942, 2008.
- P. Alexandridis, J. F. Holzwarth, and T. A. Hatton, “Micellization of poly(ethylene oxide)-poly(propylene oxide)-poly(ethylene oxide) triblock copolymers in aqueous solutions: thermodynamics of copolymer association,” Macromolecules, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 2414–2425, 1994.
- M. Bohorquez, C. Koch, T. Trygstad, and N. Pandit, “A study of the temperature-dependent micellization of pluronic F127,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 216, no. 1, pp. 34–40, 1999.
- G. Wanka, H. Hoffmann, and W. Ulbricht, “Phase diagrams and aggregation behavior of poly(oxyethylene)-poly(oxypropylene)-poly(oxyethylene) triblock copolymers in aqueous solutions,” Macromolecules, vol. 27, no. 15, pp. 4145–4159, 1994.
- J. Q. G. Maclaine and C. Booth, “Effect of molecular weight on crystallization isotherms of high molecular weight poly(ethylene oxide) fractions,” Polymer, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 680–684, 1975.
- J. H. Lee, H. B. Lee, and J. D. Andrade, “Blood compatibility of polyethylene oxide surfaces,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1043–1079, 1995.
- C. Allen, D. Maysinger, and A. Eisenberg, “Nano-engineering block copolymer aggregates for drug delivery,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 16, no. 1-4, pp. 3–27, 1999.
- B. M. Discher, Y.-Y. Won, D. S. Ege et al., “Polymersomes: tough vesicles made from diblock copolymers,” Science, vol. 284, no. 5417, pp. 1143–1146, 1999.
- V. P. Torchilin, “Polymeric micelles for therapeutic applications in medicine,” Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 9, pp. 261–299, 2010.
- A. S. Mikhail and C. Allen, “Block copolymer micelles for delivery of cancer therapy: transport at the whole body, tissue and cellular levels,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 214–223, 2009.
- T. Blythe and D. Bloor, Electrical Properties of Polymers, Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- P. Chadwick and F. Lowes, “Magnetic fields on British trains,” Annals of Occupational Hygiene, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 331–335, 1998.
- World Health Organization (WHO), Static Fields. Environmental Health Criteria, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2006.
- E. Calabrò, Effects of Electromagnetic Fields on Cells and Proteins' Structure, Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrücken, Germany, 2012.
- S. Magazù and E. Calabrò, “Studying the electromagnetic-induced changes of the secondary structure of bovine serum albumin and the bioprotective effectiveness of trehalose by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 115, no. 21, pp. 6818–6826, 2011.
- S. Magazù, E. Calabrò, S. Campo, and S. Interdonato, “New insights into bioprotective effectiveness of disaccharides: an FTIR study of human haemoglobin aqueous solutions exposed to static magnetic fields,” Journal of Biological Physics, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 61–74, 2012.
- E. Calabrò, S. Condello, S. Magazù, and S. Ientile, “Static and 50 Hz electromagnetic fields effects on human neuronal-like cells vibration bands in the mid-infrared region.,” Journal of Electromagnetic Analysis & Applications, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 69–78, 2011.
- S. Pacini, M. Gulisano, B. Peruzzi et al., “Effects of 0.2 T static magnetic field on human skin fibroblasts,” Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 327–332, 2003.
- W. Mauer, “In insulators for fusion applications,” IAEA-TECDOC-417, International Atomic Energy Agency, Karlsruhe, Germany, 1986.
- P. A. Alexandrov, V. V. Budaragin, M. N. Shachov, N. I. Nikanorova, and E. S. Trofimchuk, “Mechanic properties of some materials in magnetic field, problems of atomic science and technology,” Thermonuclear Synthesis, vol. 1, pp. 24–30, 2006.
- Y. P. Rodin, “Static magnetic fields and physical-mechanical properties of polymers. A review,” Mechanics of Composite Materials, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 331–341, 1991.
- I. Reinholds, V. Kalkis, and R. D. Maksimovs, “The effect of ionizing radiation and magnetic field on deformation properties of high density polyethylene/acrylonitrile-butadiene composites,” Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, vol. 6, pp. 242–249, 2012.
- N. N. Peschanskaya and P. N. Yakushev, “Polymer creep in a static magnetic field,” Physics of the Solid State, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1509–1511, 1997.
- R. I. Reinholds I., V. Kalkis, R. D. Maksimov, J. Zicans, and R. M. Meri, “The effect of radiation modification and of a uniform magnetic field on the deformation properties of polymer composite blends,” Mechanics of Composite Materials, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 497–504, 2011.
- S. Saeki, N. Kuwahara, M. Nakata, and M. Kaneko, “Upper and lower critical solution temperatures in poly (ethylene glycol) solutions,” Polymer, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 685–689, 1976.
- Y. C. Bae, S. M. Lambert, D. S. Soane, and J. M. Prausnitz, “Cloud-point curves of polymer solutions from thermooptical measurements,” Macromolecules, vol. 24, no. 15, pp. 4403–4407, 1991.
- S. Lüsse and K. Arnold, “The interaction of poly(ethylene glycol) with water studied by 1H and 2H NMR relaxation time measurements,” Macromolecules, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 4251–4257, 1996.
- S. Bekiranov, R. Bruinsma, and P. Pincus, “Solution behavior of polyethylene oxide in water as a function of temperature and pressure,” Physical Review E, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 577–585, 1997.
- G. D. Smith, D. Bedrov, and O. Borodin, “Molecular dynamics simulation study of hydrogen bonding in aqueous poly(ethylene oxide) solutions,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 85, no. 26, pp. 5583–5586, 2000.
- T. Inoue, M. Matsuda, Y. Nibu, Y. Misono, and M. Suzuki, “Phase behavior of heptaethylene glycol dodecyl ether and its aqueous mixture revealed by DSC and FT-IR spectroscopy,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1833–1840, 2001.
- T. Inoue, H. Kawamura, M. Matsuda, Y. Misono, and M. Suzuki, “FT-IR and ESR spin-label studies of mesomorphic phases formed in aqueous mixtures of heptaethylene glycol dodecyl ether,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 22, pp. 6915–6922, 2001.
- Y. Peng, P. Wu, and Y. Yang, “Two-dimensional infrared correlation spectroscopy as a probe of sequential events in the diffusion process of water in poly(ε-caprolactone),” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 119, no. 15, pp. 8075–8079, 2003.
- J. Umemura, D. G. Cameron, and H. H. Mantsch, “An FT-IR study of micelle formation in aqueous sodium n-hexanoate solutions,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 84, no. 18, pp. 2272–2277, 1980.
- Y. Maeda, T. Nakamura, and I. Ikeda, “Changes in the hydration states of poly(N-alkylacrylamide)s during their phase transitions in water observed by FTIR spectroscopy,” Macromolecules, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 1391–1399, 2001.
- International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP), “Guidelines on limits of exposure to static magnetic fields,” Health Physics, vol. 96, pp. 504–514, 2009.
- S. Condello, E. Calabrò, D. Caccamo et al., “Protective effects of agmatine in rotenone-induced damage of human SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells: Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy analysis in a model of Parkinson's disease,” Amino Acids, vol. 42, no. 2-3, pp. 775–781, 2012.
- E. Calabrò and S. Magazù, “Inspections of mobile phone microwaves effects on proteins secondary structure by means of Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy,” Journal of Electromagnetic Analysis & Applications, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 607–617, 2010.
- F. S. Parker, Applications of Infrared Spectroscopy in Biochemistry, Biology, and Medicine, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1971.
- B. Rigas, S. Morgello, I. S. Goldman, and P. T. T. Wong, “Human colorectal cancers display abnormal Fourier-transform infrared spectra,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 87, no. 20, pp. 8140–8144, 1990.
- B. Stuart, Biological Applications of Infrared Spectroscopy, Analytical Chemistry by Open Learning, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 1997.
- J. Bertie and D. Othen, “On the assignment of the infrared spectrum of ethylene oxide,” Canadian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 51, pp. 1155–1158, 1973.
- D. V. Radziuk and H. Möhwald, “Spectroscopic investigation of composite polymeric and monocrystalline systems with ionic conductivity,” Polymers, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 674–692, 2011.
- M. A. K. L. Dissanayake and R. Frech, “Infrared spectroscopic study of the phases and phase transitions in poly(ethylene oxide) and poly(ethylene oxide)—lithium trifluoromethanesulfonate complexes,” Macromolecules, vol. 28, no. 15, pp. 5312–5319, 1995.
- S. L. Hager and T. B. Macrury, “Investigation of phase behavior and water binding in poly(alkylene oxide) solutions,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1559–1571, 1980.
- M. J. Hey and S. M. Ilett, “Poly(ethylene oxide) hydration studied by differential scanning calorimetry,” Journal of the Chemical Society, Faraday Transactions, vol. 87, no. 22, pp. 3671–3675, 1991.
- I. Noda, “Two-dimensional infrared (2D IR) spectroscopy: theory and applications,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 44, pp. 550–561, 1990.
- I. Noda, “Generalized two-dimensional correlation method applicable to infrared, Raman, and other types of spectroscopy,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 47, pp. 1329–1336, 1993.
- Y.-L. Su, H.-Z. Liu, J. Wang, and J.-Y. Chen, “Study of salt effects on the micellization of PEO-PPO-PEO block copolymer in aqueous solution by FTIR spectroscopy,” Langmuir, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 865–871, 2002.
- Y.-L. Su, J. Wang, and H.-Z. Liu, “FTIR spectroscopic investigation of effects of temperature and concentration on PEO-PPO-PEO block copolymer properties in aqueous solutions,” Macromolecules, vol. 35, no. 16, pp. 6426–6431, 2002.
- C. Guo, H. Z. Liu, and J. Y. Chen, “A Fourier transform infrared study of the phase transition in aqueous solutions of ethylene oxide-propylene oxide triblock copolymer,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 277, no. 4, pp. 376–381, 1999.
- A. Anwer and A. H. Windle, “Magnetic orientation and microstructure of main-chain thermotropic copolyesters,” Polymer, vol. 34, no. 16, pp. 3347–3357, 1993.
- P. C. M. Christianen, I. O. Shklyarevskiy, M. I. Boamfa, and J. C. Maan, “Alignment of molecular materials in high magnetic fields,” Physica B, vol. 346-347, no. 1-4, pp. 255–261, 2004.
- M. S. Al-Haik and M. Y. Hussaini, “Molecular dynamics simulation of reorientation of polyethylene chains under a high magnetic field,” Molecular Simulation, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 601–608, 2006.
- P. Mukerjee, “The nature of the association equilibria and hydrophobic bonding in aqueous solutions of association colloids,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 1, pp. 241–275, 1967.
- L. Jia, C. Guo, L. Yang et al., “Mechanism of PEO-PPO-PEO micellization in aqueous solutions studied by two-dimensional correlation FTIR spectroscopy,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 345, no. 2, pp. 332–337, 2010.