- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 838402, 6 pages
Solvent Effect on Photoinitiator Reactivity in the Polymerization of 2-Hydroxyethyl Methacrylate
1Baqai Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Baqai Medical University, 51 Deh Tor, Toll Plaza,
Super Highway, Gadap Road, Karachi 74600, Pakistan
2Department of Dental Material Sciences, Baqai Dental College, Baqai Medical University, 51 Deh Tor, Toll Plaza, Super Highway, Gadap Road, Karachi 74600, Pakistan
3H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Received 26 September 2013; Revised 22 November 2013; Accepted 23 November 2013
Academic Editor: Francesco Paolucci
Copyright © 2013 Iqbal Ahmad et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. S. Amis and J. F. Hinton, Solvent Effects on Chemical Phenomena, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1973.
- C. Reichardt, Solvents and Solvent Effect in Organic Chemistry, Wiley-VCH, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1988.
- E. Buncel, R. A. Stairs, and H. Wilson, The Role of the Solvent in Chemical Reactions, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- P. J. Sinko, Martin's Physical Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 5th edition, 2006.
- N. J. Turro, V. Ramamurthy, and J. S. Scaiano, Modern Molecular Photochemistry of Organic Molecules, University Science Books, Sausalito, Calif, USA, 1st edition, 2010.
- J. W. Nicholson, The Chemistry of Medical and Dental Materials, The Royal Society, Cambridge, UK, 2002.
- M. V. Encinas, A. M. Rufs, M. G. Neumann, and C. M. Previtali, “Photoinitiated vinyl polymerization by safranine T/triethanolamine in aqueous solution,” Polymer, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1395–1398, 1996.
- A. Valdebenito and M. V. Encinas, “Photopolymerization of 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate: effect of the medium properties on the polymerization rate,” Journal of Polymer Science A, vol. 41, no. 15, pp. 2368–2373, 2003.
- K. L. Beers, S. Boo, S. G. Gaynor, and K. Matyjaszewski, “Atom transfer radical polymerization of 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate,” Macromolecules, vol. 32, no. 18, pp. 5772–5776, 1999.
- Y. Wang, P. Spencer, X. Yao, and Q. J. Ye, “Effect of coinitiator and wafer on the photoreactivity and photopolymerization of HEMA/camphoquinone-based reactant mixtures,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 721–728, 2006.
- X. Guo, Y. Wang, P. Spencer, Q. Ye, and X. Yao, “Effects of water content and initiator composition on photopolymerization of a model BisGMA/HEMA resin,” Dental Materials, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 824–831, 2008.
- E. Andrzejewska, M. Podgorska-Golubska, I. Stepniak, and M. Andrzejewski, “Photoinitiated polymerization in ionic liquids: kinetics and viscosity effects,” Polymer, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 2040–2047, 2009.
- P. F. Heelis, “The photophysical and photochemical properties of flavins (isoalloxazines),” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 15–39, 1982.
- J. Jakubiak, X. Allonas, J. P. Fouassier et al., “Camphorquinone-amines photoinitating systems for the initiation of free radical polymerization,” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 18, pp. 5219–5226, 2003.
- C. M. Previtali, S. G. Bertolotti, M. G. Neumann, I. A. Pastre, A. M. Rufs, and M. V. Encinas, “Laser flash photolysis study of the photoinitiator system safranine T-aliphatic amines for vinyl polymerization,” Macromolecules, vol. 27, no. 25, pp. 7454–7458, 1994.
- M. V. Encinas, A. M. Rufs, S. G. Bertolotti, and C. M. Previtali, “Xanthene dyes/amine as photoinitiators of radical polymerization: a comparative and photochemical study in aqueous medium,” Polymer, vol. 50, no. 13, pp. 2762–2767, 2009.
- J. Alvarez, E. A. Lissi, and M. V. Encinas, “Effect of the initiator absorbance on the transition-metal complex photoinitiated polymerization,” Journal of Polymer Science A, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 207–208, 1998.
- P. S. Song and D. E. Metzler, “Photochemical degradation of flavins. IV. Studies of the anaerobic photolysis of riboflavin,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 691–709, 1967.
- C. G. Hatchard and C. A. Parker, “A new sensitive chemical actinometer. II. Potassium ferrioxalate as a standard chemical actinometer,” Proceedings of Royal Society London A, vol. 235, no. 1203, pp. 518–536, 1956.
- I. Ahmad, K. Iqbal, M. A. Sheraz et al., “Photoinitiated polymerization of 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate by Riboflavin/Triehanolamine in aqueous solution: a kinetic study,” ISRN Pharmaceutics, vol. 2013, Article ID 958712, 7 pages, 2013.
- I. Ahmad and G. Tollin, “Solvent effects of flavin electron transfer reactions,” Biochemistry, vol. 20, no. 20, pp. 5925–5928, 1981.
- I. Ahmad, Q. Fasihullah, and F. H. M. Vaid, “Photolysis of formylmethylflavin in aqueous and organic solvents,” Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 680–685, 2006.
- P. Maurel, “Relevance of dielectric constant and solvent hydrophobicity to the organic solvent effect in enzymology,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 253, no. 5, pp. 1677–1683, 1978.
- J. D. Biasutti, G. E. Roberts, F. P. Lucien, and J. P. A. Heuts, “Substituent effects in the catalytic chain transfer polymerization of 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 429–435, 2003.
- I. Ahmad, Q. Fasihullah, and F. H. M. Vaid, “A study of simultaneous photolysis and photoaddition reactions of riboflavin in aqueous solution,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 75, no. 1-2, pp. 13–20, 2004.
- B. Orellana, A. M. Rufs, M. V. Encinas, C. M. Previtali, and S. Bertolotti, “The photoinitiation mechanism of vinyl polymerization by riboflavin/triethanolamine in aqueous medium,” Macromolecules, vol. 32, no. 20, pp. 6570–6573, 1999.