- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 935854, 12 pages
Sorption of Ammonium Ions onto Natural and Modified Egyptian Kaolinites: Kinetic and Equilibrium Studies
Physical Chemistry Department, Laboratory of Surface Chemistry and Catalysis, National Research Center, Dokki, Cairo 12622, Egypt
Received 26 December 2013; Revised 20 March 2014; Accepted 31 March 2014; Published 24 April 2014
Academic Editor: Taicheng An
Copyright © 2014 Ola I. El-Shafey et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Ah and A. S. Ca, “Ammonia removal from an aqueous solution using chemical surface-modified sand,” Health and the Environment Journal, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 17–24, 2012.
- H. Yoon, J.-H. Lim, and H.-K. Chung, “Ammonia removal model based on the equilibrium and mass transfer principles,” Bulletin of the Korean Chemical Society, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 555–561, 2008.
- X. C. Zeng and Y. X. Li, Technology of Phosphorus and Nitrogen Removal From Wastewater, China Architectural Industry Press, Beijing, China, 1998.
- S. Uludag-Demirer, G. N. Demirer, and S. Chen, “Ammonia removal from anaerobically digested dairy manure by struvite precipitation,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 3667–3674, 2005.
- N. Segond, Y. Matsumura, and K. Yamamoto, “Determination of ammonia oxidation rate in sub- and supercritical water,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 41, no. 24, pp. 6020–6027, 2002.
- M. K. Ghose, “Complete physico-chemical treatment for coke plant effluents,” Water Research, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 1127–1134, 2002.
- L. Lin, J. Chen, Z. Xu et al., “Removal of ammonia nitrogen in wastewater by microwave radiation: a pilot-scale study,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 168, no. 2-3, pp. 862–867, 2009.
- N. Miladinovic and L. R. Weatherley, “Intensification of ammonia removal in a combined ion-exchange and nitrification column,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 135, no. 1-2, pp. 15–24, 2008.
- P. Vassileva, P. Tzvetkova, and R. Nickolov, “Removal of ammonium ions from aqueous solutions with coal-based activated carbons modified by oxidation,” Fuel, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 387–390, 2009.
- H. Zheng, L. Han, H. Ma et al., “Adsorption characteristics of ammonium ion by zeolite 13X,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 158, no. 2-3, pp. 577–584, 2008.
- E. Ivanova, M. Karsheve, and B. Koumanova, “Adsorption of ammonium ions onto natural zeolite,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 295–302, 2010.
- S. Balci and Y. Dinçel, “Ammonium ion adsorption with sepiolite: use of transient uptake method,” Chemical Engineering and Processing, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 79–85, 2002.
- L. Lin, Z. Lei, L. Wang X et al., “Adsorption mechanisms of high-levels of ammonium onto natural and NaCl-modified zeolites,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 103, no. 15, pp. 15–20, 2013.
- K. G. Bhattacharyya and S. S. Gupta, “Adsorption of a few heavy metals on natural and modified kaolinite and montmorillonite: a review,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 140, no. 2, pp. 114–131, 2008.
- K. G. Bhattacharyya and S. S. Gupta, “Influence of acid activation on adsorption of Ni(II) and Cu(II) on kaolinite and montmorillonite: kinetic and thermodynamic study,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2008.
- S. S. Gupta and K. G. Bhattacharyya, “Using aqueous kaolinite suspension as a medium for removing phosphate from water,” Adsorption Science & Technology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 533–547, 2012.
- H. Cheng, Q. Liu, J. Yang, S. Ma, and R. L. Frost, “The thermal behavior of kaolinite intercalation complex—a review. Part I,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 545, pp. 1–13, 2012.
- M. Hassan and H. El-Shall, “Texture and microstructure of thermally-treated acid-leached kaolinitic clays,” Adsorption Science and Technology, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 671–684, 2009.
- H. P. Boehm, “Surface oxides on carbon and their analysis: a critical assessment,” Carbon, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 145–149, 2002.
- M. S. El-Geundi, T. E. Farrag, and H. M. A. Abd El-Ghany, “Adsorption equilibrium of a herbicide (pendimethalin) onto natural clay,” Adsorption Science and Technology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 437–453, 2005.
- G. R. Armando, L. De La Torre, L. A. García-Serrano, and A. Aguilar-Elguézabal, “Effect of dialysis treatment on the aggregation state of montmorillonite clay,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 274, no. 2, pp. 550–554, 2004.
- J. D. D. Melo, T. C. de Carvalho Costa, A. M. de Medeiros, and C. A. Paskocimas, “Effects of thermal and chemical treatments on physical properties of kaolinite,” Ceramics International, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 2010.
- J. D. Kubicki, G. A. Blake, and S. E. Apitz, “Ab initio calculations on aluminosilicate Q3 species: implications for atomic structures of mineral surfaces and dissolution mechanisms of feldspars,” American Mineralogist, vol. 81, no. 7-8, pp. 789–799, 1996.
- H. Suquet, “Effects of dry grinding and leaching on the crystal structure of chrysotile,” Clays & Clay Minerals, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 439–455, 1989.
- H. Ming, “Modification of kaolinite by controlled hydrothermal deuteration—a DRIFT spectroscopic study,” Clay Minerals, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 349–362, 2004.
- S. Lagergren, “Zur theorie der sogenannten adsorption gelöster stoffe,” Kungliga Svenska Vetenskapsakademiens. Handlingar, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 1–39, 1989.
- Y.-S. Ho, “Review of second-order models for adsorption systems,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 136, no. 3, pp. 681–689, 2006.
- J. Ravichandran and B. Sivasankar, “Properties and catalytic activity of acid-modified montmorillonite and vermiculite,” Clays and Clay Minerals, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 854–858, 1997.
- W. J. Webeer and J. C. Morris, “Kinetics of adsorption of carbon from solution,” Journal of Sanitary Engineering Division-ASCE, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 31–59, 1963.
- Y. S. Ho and G. McKay, “Sorption of copper(II) from aqueous solution by Peat,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 77–97, 2004.
- I. Langmuir, “The adsorption of gases on plane surfaces of glass, mica and platinum,” The Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1361–1403, 1918.
- H. M. F. Freundlich, “Uber die adsorption in lösungen,” Zeitschrift Für Physikalische Chemie, vol. 57, pp. 385–470, 1906.
- M. M. Dubinin and L. V. Radushkevich, “Equation of the characteristic curve of activated charcoal,” Chemisches Zentralblatt, vol. 1, article 875, 1947.
- Y.-S. Ho, “Selection of optimum sorption isotherm,” Carbon, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 2115–2116, 2004.
- E. Bulut, M. Özacar, and I. A. Şengil, “Adsorption of malachite green onto bentonite: equilibrium and kinetic studies and process design,” Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 234–246, 2008.