- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Power Electronics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 239061, 7 pages
A 225 kW Direct Driven PM Generator Adapted to a Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
Swedish Centre for Renewable Electric Energy Conversion, Division for Electricity, Department of Engineering Sciences, Uppsala University, P.O. Box 534, 751 21 Uppsala, Sweden
Received 14 March 2011; Revised 24 August 2011; Accepted 24 August 2011
Academic Editor: Jose Pomilio
Copyright © 2011 S. Eriksson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. D. Hansen, “Generators and power electronics for wind turbines,” in Wind Power in Power Systems, T. Ackermann, Ed., pp. 55–65, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- S. Eriksson, Direct Driven Generators for Vertical Axis Wind Turbines, Digital Comprehensive Summaries of Uppsala Dissertations from the Faculty of Science and Technology, 2008.
- P. Lampola, Directly driven, low-speed permanent-magnet generators for wind power applications, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering, Helsinki University of Technology, 2000.
- A. Grauers, Design of direct driven permanent magnet generators for wind turbines, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Electric Power Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, 1996.
- S. Eriksson, H. Bernhoff, and M. Leijon, “Evaluation of different turbine concepts for wind power,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1419–1434, 2008.
- G. J. M. Darrieus, “Turbine having its rotating shaft transverse to the flow of the current,” US Patent No. 1.835.018, 1931.
- J. Kjellin, F. Bülow, S. Eriksson, P. Deglaire, M. Leijon, and H. Bernhoff, “Power coefficient measurement on a 12 kW straight bladed vertical axis wind turbine,” Renewable Energy, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 3050–3053, 2011.
- S. Eriksson, A. Solum, H. Bernhoff, and M. Leijon, “Simulations and experiments on a 12 kW direct driven PM synchronous generator for wind power,” Renewable Energy, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 674–681, 2008.
- S. Eriksson, H. Bernhoff, and M. Leijon, “FEM simulations and experiments of different loading conditions for a 12 kW direct driven PM synchronous generator for wind power,” International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems, vol. 10, no. 1, article 3, 2009.
- Anon. 1, “Ace, Modified Version 3.1, ABB common platform for field analysis and simulations,” ABB Corporate Research Centre, ABB AB, Corporate Research, 721 78 Västerås, Sweden.
- A. Broddefalk and M. Lindenmo, “Dependence of the power losses of a non-oriented 3% Si-steel on frequency and gauge,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 304, no. 2, pp. e586–e588, 2006.
- C. C. Mi, G. R. Slemon, and R. Bonert, “Minimization of iron losses of permanent magnet synchronous machines,” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 121–127, 2005.
- L. Ma, M. Sanada, S. Morimoto, and Y. Takeda, “Prediction of iron loss in rotating machines with rotational loss included,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 2036–2041, 2003.
- Anon. 2, “Electric Steel Non Oriented Fully Processed Cogent,” Cogent 2002–11 by SIR-Gruppen Sweden, Surahammars Bruk AB, Box 201, SE-735 23 Surahammar, Sweden.
- F. Bülow, S. Eriksson, and H. Bernhoff, “No-load core loss prediction of PM generator at low electrical frequency,” Renewable Energy. In press.
- S. Eriksson and H. Bernhoff, “Loss evaluation and design optimisation for direct driven permanent magnet synchronous generators for wind power,” Applied Energy, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 265–271, 2011.
- I. Paraschivoiu, Wind Turbine Design with Emphasis on Darrieus Concept, Polytechnic International Press, Quebec, Canada, 1st edition, 2002.
- International standard IEC 61400-1, 3rd edition, 2005–08. Wind turbines—part 1: design requirements, International Electrotechnical Commission, Switzerland.
- M. Leijon, M. Dahlgren, L. Walfridsson, L. Ming, and A. Jaksts, “A recent development in the electrical insulation systems of generators and transformers,” IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 10–15, 2001.
- P. Kundur, Power System Stability and Control, The EPRI Power System Engineering Series, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- T. A. Loehlein, “Calculating generator reactances,” white paper, power topic #6008, Technical information from Cummins Power Generation, 2006.