- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Active and Passive Electronic Components
Volume 2007 (2007), Article ID 24084, 8 pages
Extraordinary Transmission and Enhanced Emission with Metallic Gratings Having Converging-Diverging Channels
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Center for Nano and Molecular Science and Technology, University of Texas, Austin, TX 78712, USA
2Physics Department, Laser Optics Research Center, USAF Academy, CO 80840, USA
3Air Force Research Laboratory, AFOSR/NE, 875 North Randolph Street, Suite 326, Arlington, VA 22203, USA
Received 22 October 2007; Accepted 26 November 2007
Academic Editor: Weili Zhang
Copyright © 2007 Arvind Battula et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. L. Barnes, T. W. Preist, S. C. Kitson, and J. R. Sambles, “Physical origin of photonic energy gaps in the propagation of surface plasmons on gratings,” Physical Review B, vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 6227–6244, 1996.
- S. C. Kitson, W. L. Barnes, and J. R. Samblas, “Full photonic band gap for surface modes in the visible,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 77, no. 13, pp. 2670–2673, 1996.
- H. A. Bethe, “Theory of diffraction by small holes,” Physical Review, vol. 66, no. 7-8, pp. 163–182, 1944.
- T. W. Ebbesen, H. J. Lezec, H. F. Ghaemi, T. Thio, and P. A. Wolff, “Extraordinary optical transmission through sub-wavelength hole arrays,” Nature, vol. 391, no. 6668, pp. 667–669, 1998.
- C. Genet and T. W. Ebbesen, “Light in tiny holes,” Nature, vol. 445, no. 7123, pp. 39–46, 2007.
- F. J. García-Vidal and L. Martín-Moreno, “Transmission and focusing of light in one-dimensional periodically nanostructured metals,” Physical Review B, vol. 66, no. 15, Article ID 155412, p. 10, 2002.
- J. A. Dionne, L. A. Sweatlock, H. A. Atwater, and A. Polman, “Planar metal plasmon waveguides: frequency-dependent dispersion, propagation, localization, and loss beyond the free electron model,” Physical Review B, vol. 72, no. 7, Article ID 075405, p. 11, 2005.
- H. J. Lezec and T. Thio, “Diffracted evanescent wave model for enhanced and suppressed optical transmission through subwavelength hole arrays,” Optics Express, vol. 12, no. 16, pp. 3629–3651, 2004.
- Q. Cao and P. Lalanne, “Negative role of surface plasmons in the transmission of metallic gratings with very narrow slits,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 88, no. 5, Article ID 057403, p. 4, 2002.
- W. L. Barnes, W. A. Murray, J. Dintinger, E. Devaux, and T. W. Ebbesen, “Surface plasmon polaritons and their role in the enhanced transmission of light through periodic arrays of subwavelength holes in a metal film,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 92, no. 10, Article ID 107401, p. 4, 2004.
- J. A. Porto, F. J. García-Vidal, and J. B. Pendry, “Transmission resonances on metallic gratings with very narrow slits,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 83, no. 14, pp. 2845–2848, 1999.
- R. Carminati and J.-J. Greffet, “Near-field effects in spatial coherence of thermal sources,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 82, no. 8, pp. 1660–1663, 1999.
- C. Henkel, K. Joulain, R. Carminati, and J.-J. Greffet, “Spatial coherence of thermal near fields,” Optics Communications, vol. 186, no. 1–3, pp. 57–67, 2000.
- A. V. Shchegrov, K. Joulain, R. Carminati, and J.-J. Greffet, “Near-field spectral effects due to electromagnetic surface excitations,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 1548–1551, 2000.
- P. J. Hesketh, J. N. Zemel, and B. Gebhart, “Organ pipe radiant modes of periodic micromachined silicon surfaces,” Nature, vol. 324, no. 6097, pp. 549–551, 1986.
- E. A. Vinogradov, G. N. Zhizhin, A. G. Mal'shukov, and V. I. Yudson, “Thermostimulated polariton emission of zinc selenide films on metal substrate,” Solid State Communications, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 915–921, 1977.
- M. Kreiter, J. Oster, R. Sambles, S. Herminghaus, S. Mittler-Neher, and W. Knoll, “Thermally induced emission of light from a metallic diffraction grating, mediated by surface plasmons,” Optics Communications, vol. 168, no. 1, pp. 117–122, 1999.
- J.-J. Greffet, R. Carminati, K. Joulain, J.-P. Mulet, S. Mainguy, and Y. Chen, “Coherent emission of light by thermal sources,” Nature, vol. 416, no. 6876, pp. 61–64, 2002.
- P. Ben-Abdallah, “Thermal antenna behavior for thin-film structures,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1368–1371, 2004.
- E. D. Palik, Ed., Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids, E. D. Palik, Ed., Academic Press, Orlando, Fla, USA, 1985.
- J.-J. Greffet and M. Nieto-Vesperinas, “Field theory for generalized bidirectional reflectivity: derivation of Helmholtz's reciprocity principle and Kirchhoff's law,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 2735–2744, 1998.
- J. D. Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1999.
- D. R. Lide, Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, CRC Press, Cleveland, Ohio, USA, 58th edition, 1977.
- Y. Xie, A. R. Zakharian, J. V. Moloney, and M. Mansuripur, “Transmission of light through slit apertures in metallic films,” Optics Express, vol. 12, no. 25, pp. 6106–6121, 2004.
- A. Lavrinenko, P. I. Borel, L. H. Frandsen, et al., “Comprehensive FDTD modelling of photonic crystal waveguide components,” Optics Express, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 234–248, 2004.
- X. Jiao, P. Wang, L. Tang, et al., “Fabry-Pérot-like phenomenon in the surface plasmons resonant transmission of metallic gratings with very narrow slits,” Applied Physics B, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 301–305, 2005.
- J. Le Gall, M. Olivier, and J.-J. Greffet, “Experimental and theoretical study of reflection and coherent thermal emission by a SiC grating supporting a surface-phonon polariton,” Physical Review B, vol. 55, no. 15, pp. 10105–10114, 1997.