- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Active and Passive Electronic Components
Volume 2007 (2007), Article ID 40249, 8 pages
Resonant Excitation of Terahertz Surface Plasmons in Subwavelength Metal Holes
1School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater 74078-5032, OK, USA
2MPA-CINT, Los Alamos National Laboratory, P. O. Box 1663, MS K771, Los Alamos 87545, NM, USA
3Department of Physics, National University of Singapore, 2 Science Drive 3, Singapore 117542
Received 27 September 2007; Accepted 12 October 2007
Academic Editor: Yalin Lu
Copyright © 2007 Weili Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. W. Ebbesen, H. J. Lezec, H. F. Ghaemi, T. Thio, and P. A. Wolff, “Extraordinary optical transmission through sub-wavelength hole arrays,” Nature, vol. 391, no. 6668, pp. 667–669, 1998.
- W. L. Barnes, A. Dereux, and T. W. Ebbesen, “Surface plasmon subwavelength optics,” Nature, vol. 424, no. 6950, pp. 824–830, 2003.
- R. Gordon, A. G. Brolo, A. McKinnon, A. Rajora, B. Leathem, and K. L. Kavanagh, “Strong polarization in the optical transmission through elliptical nanohole arrays,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 92, no. 3, Article ID 037401, 4 pages, 2004.
- D. Qu, D. Grischkowsky, and W. Zhang, “Terahertz transmission properties of thin, subwavelength metallic hole arrays,” Optics Letters, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 896–898, 2004.
- C. Janke, J. Gómez Rivas, C. Schotsch, L. Beckmann, P. Haring Bolivar, and H. Kurz, “Optimization of enhanced terahertz transmission through arrays of subwavelength apertures,” Physical Review B, vol. 69, no. 20, Article ID 205314, 5 pages, 2004.
- H. Cao and A. Nahata, “Resonantly enhanced transmission of terahertz radiation through a periodic array of subwavelength apertures,” Optics Express, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1004–1010, 2004.
- F. Miyamaru and M. Hangyo, “Finite size effect of transmission property for metal hole arrays in subterahertz region,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 84, no. 15, pp. 2742–2744, 2004.
- J. F. O'Hara, R. D. Averitt, and A. J. Taylor, “Terahertz surface plasmon polariton coupling on metallic gratings,” Optics Express, vol. 12, no. 25, pp. 6397–6402, 2004.
- D. Qu and D. Grischkowsky, “Observation of a new type of THz resonance of surface plasmons propagating on metal-film hole arrays,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 93, no. 19, Article ID 196804, 4 pages, 2004.
- A. K. Azad, Y. Zhao, and W. Zhang, “Transmission properties of terahertz pulses through an ultrathin subwavelength silicon hole array,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 14, Article ID 141102, 3 pages, 2005.
- Q. Xing, S. Li, and Z. Tian, et al., “Enhanced zero-order transmission of terahertz radiation pulses through very deep metallic gratings with subwavelength slits,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 89, no. 4, Article ID 041107, 3 pages, 2006.
- G. Torosyan, C. Rau, B. Pradarutti, and R. Beigang, “Generation and propagation of surface plasmons in periodic metallic structures,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 85, no. 16, pp. 3372–3374, 2004.
- J.-B. Masson and G. Gallot, “Coupling between surface plasmons in subwavelength hole arrays,” Physical Review B, vol. 73, no. 12, Article ID 121401, 4 pages, 2006.
- A. K. Azad and W. Zhang, “Resonant terahertz transmission in subwavelength metallic hole arrays of sub-skin-depth thickness,” Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 21, pp. 2945–2947, 2005.
- A. K. Azad, M. He, Y. Zhao, and W. Zhang, “Effect of dielectric properties of metals on terahertz transmission subwavelength hole arrays,” Optics Letters, vol. 31, no. 17, pp. 2637–2639, 2006.
- E. Ozbay, “Plasmonics: merging photonics and electronics at nanoscale dimensions,” Science, vol. 311, no. 5758, pp. 189–193, 2006.
- H. Raether, Surface Plasmons on Smooth and Rough Surfaces and on Gratings, chapter 2, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1988.
- W. Srituravanich, N. Fang, C. Sun, Q. Luo, and X. Zhang, “Plasmonic nanolithography,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1085–1088, 2004.
- X. Luo and T. Ishihara, “Surface plasmon resonant interference nanolithography technique,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 84, no. 23, pp. 4780–4782, 2004.
- Z.-W. Liu, Q.-H. Wei, and X. Zhang, “Surface plasmon interference nanolithography,” Nano Letters, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 957–961, 2005.
- A. V. Zayats, J. Elliott, I. I. Smolyaninov, and C. C. Davis, “Imaging with short-wavelength surface plasmon polaritons,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 15, Article ID 151114, 3 pages, 2005.
- J. Han, A. K. Azad, M. Gong, X. Lu, and W. Zhang, “Coupling between surface plasmons and nonresonant transmission in subwavelength holes at terahertz frequencies,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, no. 7, Article ID 071122, 3 pages, 2007.
- W. Zhang, A. K. Azad, J. Han, J. Xu, J. Chen, and X.-C. Zhang, “Direct observation of a transition of a surface plasmon resonance from a photonic crystal effect,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 98, no. 18, Article ID 183901, 4 pages, 2007.
- T. Thio, H. F. Ghaemi, H. J. Lezec, P. A. Wolff, and T. W. Ebbesen, “Surface-plasmon-enhanced transmission through hole arrays in Cr films,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1743–1748, 1999.
- D. E. Grupp, H. J. Lezec, T. W. Ebbesen, K. M. Pellerin, and T. Thio, “Crucial role of metal surface in enhanced transmission through subwavelength apertures,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1569–1571, 2000.
- M. A. Ordal, L. L. Long, and R. J. Bell, et al., “Optical properties of the metals Al, Co, Cu, Au, Fe, Pb, Ni, Pd, Pt, Ag, Ti, and W in the infrared and far infrared,” Applied Optics, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1099–1119, 1983.
- L. Martín-Moreno, F. J. García-Vidal, H. J. Lezec, A. Degiron, and T. W. Ebbesen, “Theory of highly directional emission from a single subwavelength aperture surrounded by surface corrugations,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 90, no. 16, Article ID 167401, 4 pages, 2003.
- H. J. Lezec and T. Thio, “Diffracted evanescent wave model for enhanced and suppressed optical transmission through subwavelength hole arrays,” Optics Express, vol. 12, no. 16, pp. 3629–3651, 2004.
- K. L. van der Molen, K. J. Klein Koerkamp, S. Enoch, F. B. Segerink, N. F. van Hulst, and L. Kuipers, “Role of shape and localized resonances in extraordinary transmission through periodic arrays of subwavelength holes: experiment and theory,” Physical Review B, vol. 72, no. 4, Article ID 045421, 9 pages, 2005.
- Z. Ruan and M. Qiu, “Enhanced transmission through periodic arrays of subwavelength holes: the role of localized waveguide resonances,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 96, no. 23, Article ID 233901, 4 pages, 2006.
- A. Degiron and T. W. Ebbesen, “The role of localized surface plasmon modes in the enhanced transmission of periodic subwavelength apertures,” Journal of Optics A, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. S90–S96, 2005.
- T. Matsui, A. Agrawal, A. Nahata, and Z. V. Vardeny, “Transmission resonances through aperiodic arrays of subwavelength apertures,” Nature, vol. 446, no. 7135, pp. 517–521, 2007.
- F. J. García de Abajo, J. Sáenz, I. Campillo, and J. Dolado, “Site and lattice resonances in metallic hole arrays,” Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 7–18, 2006.
- W. Fan, S. Zhang, B. Minhas, K. J. Malloy, and S. R. J. Brueck, “Enhanced infrared transmission through subwavelength coaxial metallic arrays,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 94, no. 3, Article ID 033902, 4 pages, 2005.
- C. Genet, M. P. van Exter, and J. P. Woerdman, “Fano-type interpretation of red shifts and red tails in hole array transmission spectra,” Optics Communications, vol. 225, no. 4–6, pp. 331–336, 2003.
- U. Fano, “Effects of configuration interaction on intensities and phase shifts,” Physical Review, vol. 124, no. 6, pp. 1866–1878, 1961.
- M. Sarrazin, J.-P. Vigneron, and J.-M. Vigoureux, “Role of Wood anomalies in optical properties of thin metallic films with a bidimensional array of subwavelength holes,” Physical Review B, vol. 67, no. 8, Article ID 085415, 8 pages, 2003.
- S.-H. Chang, S. K. Gray, and G. C. Schatz, “Surface plasmon generation and light transmission by isolated nanoholes and arrays of nanoholes in thin metal films,” Optics Express, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 3150–3165, 2005.