- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Active and Passive Electronic Components
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 464659, 10 pages
A 12 GHz 30 mW 130 nm CMOS Rotary Travelling Wave Voltage Controlled Oscillator
1University Nice Sophia Antipolis, IM2NP UMR CNRS 7334, 06410 Biot, France
2University Nice Sophia Antipolis, LEAT UMR CNRS 6071, 06540 Valbonne, France
3SDRF, Sophia Antipolis, 06410 Biot, France
4University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, 41100 Modena, Italy
Received 29 May 2012; Revised 3 August 2012; Accepted 17 September 2012
Academic Editor: Ulrich L. Rohde
Copyright © 2012 G. Jacquemod et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- NXP, “Integrated mixer oscillator PLL for satellite LNB,” TFF1004HN/N1 Datasheet, 2008.
- Z. Deng, J. Chen, J. Tsai, and A. M. Niknejad, “A CMOS Ku-band single-conversion low-noise block front-end for satellite receivers,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, (RFIC '09), pp. 135–138, Boston, Mass, USA, June 2009.
- K. Miyashita, “A plastic packaged ku-band LNB with very high susceptibility to supply PLL in 0.18 um CMOS,” in Proceedings of the 10th Topical Meeting on Silicon Monolithic Integrated Circuits in RF Systems, (SiRF '10), pp. 188–191, New Orleans, La, USA, January 2010.
- F. Ben Abdeljelil, W. Tatinian, L. Carpineto, and G. Jacquemod, “Design of a CMOS 12 GHz rotary travelling wave oscillator with switched capacitor tuning,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, (RFIC '09), pp. 579–582, Boston, Mass, USA, June 2009.
- B. Razavi, K. F. Lee, and R. H. Yan, “Design of high-speed, low-power frequency dividers and phase-locked loops in deep submicron CMOS,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 101–111, 1995.
- D. Dermit, F. Ducati, D. Balsamo, P. Lucchi, M. Borgarino, and G. Jacquemod, “A 130 nm CMOS tunable digital frequency divider for dual-band microwave radiometer,” in Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems, (ICECS '09), pp. 203–206, Hammamet, Tunisia, December 2009.
- U. Singh and M. M. Green, “High-frequency CML clock dividers in 0.13-μm CMOS operating Up to 38 GHz,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1658–1660, 2005.
- C. D. Hedayat, A. Hachem, Y. Leduc, and G. Benbassat, “Modeling and characterization of the 3rd order charge-pump PLL: a fully event-driven approach,” Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 24–45, 1999.
- G. Le Grand de Mercey, “A 18 GHz rotary traveling wave VCO in CMOS with I/Q outputs,” in Proceedings of the 29th European Solid-State Circuits Conference (ESSCIRC '03), pp. 489–492, Lisboa, Portugal, 2003.
- B. Razavi, “The role of monolithic transmission lines in high-speed integrated circuits,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference (CICC '02), pp. 367–374, May 2002.
- R. A. Pucel, “Losses in Microstrip,” IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 16, pp. 342–350, 1968.
- H. M. Greenhouse, “Design of planar rectangular microelectronic inductors,” IEEE Trans Parts Hybrids Packag, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 101–109, 1974.
- T. Sakurai and K. Tamaru, “Simple formulas for two- and three-dimensions capacitance,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 183–185, 1983.
- H. H. Hsieh, Y. C. Hsu, and L. H. Lu, “A 15/30-GHz dual-band multiphase voltage-controlled oscillator in 0.18-μm CMOS,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 474–483, 2007.
- A. Hajimiri and T. H. Lee, “A general theory of phase noise in electrical oscillators,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 179–194, 1998.
- T. H. Lee, The Design of CMOS Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits, Cambridge, 1998.
- D. B. Leeson, “A simple model of feed-back oscillator noise spectrum,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 54, pp. 329–330, 1885.
- C. J. White and A. Hajimiri, “Phase noise in distributed oscillators,” Electronics Letters, vol. 38, no. 23, pp. 1453–1454, 2002.
- N. Seller, A. Cathelin, H. Lapuyade, J. B. Bégueret, E. Chataigner, and D. Belo, “A 10 GHz distributed voltage controlled oscillator for WLAN application in a VLSI 65 nm CMOS process,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, (RFIC '07), pp. 115–118, June 2007.
- G. P. Bilionis, A. N. Birbas, and M. K. Birbas, “Fully integrated differential distributed VCO in 0.35-μm SiGe BiCMOS technology,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 13–22, 2007.
- D. Guckenberger and K. T. Kornegay, “Differential distributed amplifier and oscillator in SiGe BiCMOS using close-packed interleaved on-chip transmission lines,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Bipolar/BiCMOS Circuits and Technology Meeting, pp. 68–71, September 2004.
- H. Wu and A. Hajimiri, “10 GHz CMOS distributed voltage controlled oscillator,” in Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Custom Integrated Circuits Conference (CICC '00), pp. 581–584, May 2000.
- K. Bhattacharyya and T. H. Szymanski, “Performance of a 12 GHz monolithic microwave distributed oscillator in 1.2 V 0.18μm CMOS with a new simple design technique for frequency changing,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Annual Conference on Wireless and Microwave Technology, (WAMICON '05), pp. 174–177, April 2005.
- G. Jacquemod, L. Geynet, B. Nicolle, E. D. Foucauld, W. Tatinian, and P. Vincent, “Design and modelling of a multi-standard fractional PLL in CMOS/SOI technology,” Microelectronics Journal, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1130–1139, 2008.
- G. J. Coram, “A simple 2-D oscillator to determine the correct decomposition of perturbations into amplitude and phase noise,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Fundamental Theory and Applications, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 896–898, 2001.
- U. L. Rohde, A. K. Poddar, and G. Boeck, Modern Microwave Oscillators For Wireless Applications: Theory and Optimization, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
- R. Undheim, Design of a linear FMCW radar synthesizer with focus on phase noise [M.S. thesis], Department of Electronics and Telecommunications, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 2012.
- K. Takinami, R. Walsworth, S. Osman, and S. Beccue, “Phase-noise analysis in rotary traveling-wave oscillators using simple physical model,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1465–1474, 2010.