- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Active and Passive Electronic Components
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 871620, 8 pages
Multilayer, Stacked Spiral Copper Inductors on Silicon with Micro-Henry Inductance Using Single-Level Lithography
Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Received 16 June 2011; Revised 16 January 2012; Accepted 23 January 2012
Academic Editor: Egidio Ragonese
Copyright © 2012 Timothy Reissman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Zolfaghari, A. Chan, and B. Razavi, “Stacked inductors and transformers in CMOS technology,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 620–628, 2001.
- D. Suh and B. Mheen, “Analysis on the effect of parallel current path on the quality factor of CMOS spiral inductors for 1–10 GHz,” Microelectronic Engineering, vol. 77, no. 3-4, pp. 292–296, 2005.
- O. H. Murphy, K. G. McCarthy, C. J. P. Delabie, A. C. Murphy, and P. J. Murphy, “Design of multiple-metal stacked inductors incorporating an extended physical model,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 2063–2072, 2005.
- S. Musunuri, P. L. Chapman, J. Zou, and C. Liu, “Design issues for monolithic DC-DC converters,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 639–649, 2005.
- C. H. Yang, J. H. Chien, B. Y. Wang, P. H. Chen, and D. S. Lee, “A flexible surface wetness sensor using a RFID technique,” Biomedical Microdevices, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2008.
- Y. Jia, K. Sun, F. J. Agosto, and M. T. Quiones, “Design and characterization of a passive wireless strain sensor,” Measurement Science and Technology, vol. 17, no. 11, article no. 002, pp. 2869–2876, 2006.
- C. Leroy, M. B. Pisani, C. Hibert, D. Bouvet, M. Puech, and A. M. Ionescu, “High quality factor copper inductors integrated in deep dry-etched quartz substrates,” Microsystem Technologies, vol. 13, no. 11-12, pp. 1483–1487, 2007.
- J. M. Lee, I. H. Choi, S. H. Park et al., “Frequency responses of circular spiral inductors for GaAs RF MMIC applications,” Journal of the Korean Physical Society, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 123–128, 2001.
- S. J. Pan, L. W. Li, and W. Y. Yin, “Compact equivalent circuit model of two-layer spiral inductors,” International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 148–153, 2003.
- H. A. Wheeler, “Simple inductance formulas for radio coils,” Proceedings of the IRE, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1398–1400, 1928.
- H. M. Greenhouse, “Design of planar rectangular microelectronic inductors,” IEEE Trans Parts Hybrids Packag, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 101–109, 1974.
- S. S. Mohan, Modeling, design, and optimization of on-chip inductors and transformers, Ph.D. thesis, Stanford University, 1999.
- N. J. Oh and S. G. Lee, “A simple model parameter extraction methodology for an on-chip spiral inductor,” ETRI Journal, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 115–118, 2006.
- A. M. Niknejad and R. G. Meyer, “Analysis, design, and optimization of spiral inductors and transformers for Si RF IC's,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 1470–1481, 1998.
- R. A. Johnson, C. E. Chang, P. M. Asbeck, M. E. Wood, G. A. Garcia, and I. Lagnado, “Comparison of microwave inductors fabricated on silicon-on-sapphire and bulk silicon,” IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 323–325, 1996.
- M. C. Hsieh, D. K. Jair, and C. S. Lin, “Design and fabrication of the suspended high-Q spiral inductors with X-beams,” Microsystem Technologies, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 903–907, 2008.
- I. J. Bahl, “High current handling capacity multilayer inductors for RF and microwave circuits,” International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 139–146, 2000.
- C. Massin, G. Boero, F. Vincent, J. Abenhaim, P. A. Besse, and R. S. Popovic, “High-Q factor RF planar microcoils for micro-scale NMR spectroscopy,” Sensors and Actuators, A, vol. 97-98, pp. 280–288, 2002.
- J. D. Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1975.
- Q. Li, “Stacked spiral inductor design and modeling for fully-integrated DC-DC converters,” Applied Mechanics and Materials, vol. 135-136, pp. 918–923, 2012.