- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Preventive Medicine
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 478741, 12 pages
Adverse Childhood Experiences and Risk of Binge Drinking and Drunkenness in Middle-Aged Finnish Men
1Department of Public Health, Institute of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio Campus, P.O. Box 1627, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
2National Institute for Health and Welfare, P.O. Box 30, 00271 Helsinki, Finland
3Discipline of Public Health, School of Population Health and Clinical Practice, University of Adelaide, MDP DX 650 550, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
4School of Social and Community Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 2PS, UK
Received 15 June 2011; Revised 31 August 2011; Accepted 9 September 2011
Academic Editor: John Iskander
Copyright © 2011 Laura Kauhanen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Ilomäki, M. J. Korhonen, P. Lavikainen, R. Lipton, H. Enlund, and J. Kauhanen, “Changes in alcohol consumption and drinking patterns during 11 years of follow-up among ageing men: the FinDrink study,” European Journal of Public Health, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 133–138, 2010.
- P. Mäkelä, K. Fonager, B. Hibell, S. Nordlund, S. Sabroe, and J. Simpura, “Episodic heavy drinking in four Nordic countries: a comparative survey,” Addiction, vol. 96, no. 11, pp. 1575–1588, 2001.
- National Institute for Health and Welfare, Finland, “Heavy drinking and moderate use of alcohol,” 2008 (Finnish), http://www.ktl.fi/portal/suomi/tietoa_terveydesta/elintavat/alkoholi/suurkulutus_ja_kohtuukaytto/.
- J. Kauhanen, G. A. Kaplan, D. E. Goldberg, and J. T. Salonen, “Beer binging and mortality: results from the Kuopio ischaemic heart disease risk factor study, a prospective population based study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 315, no. 7112, pp. 846–851, 1997.
- J. Kauhanen, G. A. Kaplan, D. E. Goldberg, R. Salonen, and J. T. Salonen, “Pattern of alcohol drinking and progression of atherosclerosis,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 3001–3006, 1999.
- V. Bagnardi, M. Blangiarmo, C. La Vecchia, and G. Corrao, “Alcohol consumption and the risk of cancer: a meta-analysis,” Alcohol Research & Health, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 263–270, 2001.
- C. Gibson, C. J. Schreck, and J. M. Miller, “Binge drinking and negative alcohol-related behaviors: a test of self-control theory,” Journal of Criminal Justice, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 411–420, 2004.
- J. Wu, K. Witkiewitz, R. J. McMahon, and K. A. Dodge, “A parallel process growth mixture model of conduct problems and substance use with risky sexual behavior,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 207–214, 2010.
- T. Paljärvi, M. Koskenvuo, K. Poikolainen, J. Kauhanen, L. Sillanmäki, and P. Mäkelä, “Binge drinking and depressive symptoms: a 5-year population-based cohort study,” Addiction, vol. 104, no. 7, pp. 1168–1178, 2009.
- B. Andersson, B. Hibell, F. Beck, et al., Alcohol and Drug Use Among European 17-18 Year Old Students: Data from the ESPAD Project, Swedish Council for Information on Alcohol and Other Drugs (CAN), The Pompidou Group at the Council of Europe, Stockholm, Sweden, 2007.
- B. Hibell, U. Guttormsson, S. Ahlström, et al., The 2007 ESPAD Report: Substance Use Among Students in 35 European Countries, The Swedish Council for Information on Alcohol and Other Drugs (CAN), Stockholm, Sweden, 2007.
- T. Paljärvi, P. Mäkelä, and K. Poikolainen, “Pattern of drinking and fatal injury: a population-based follow-up study of Finnish men,” Addiction, vol. 100, no. 12, pp. 1851–1859, 2005.
- H. Korpi and J. Hellanto, Causes of Death Statistics, Statistics Finland, 2008.
- V. Helasoja, E. Lahelma, R. Prättälä, J. Petceviciene, I. Pudule, and M. Tekkel, “The socioeconomic patterning of drinking and binge drinking in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Finland, 1994–2002,” BMC Public Health, vol. 7, article 241, 2007.
- S. Rainio, L. Pere, P. Lindfors, H. Lavikainen, L. Saarni, and A. Rimpelä, Adolescent Health and Lifestyle Survey 2009, Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, Helsinki, Finland, 2009.
- K. Herttua, P. Mäkelä, and P. Martikainen, “Changes in alcohol-related mortality and its socioeconomic differences after a large reduction in alcohol prices: a natural experiment based on register data,” The American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 168, no. 10, pp. 1110–1118, 2008.
- S. Säkkinen and T. Kuoppala, Child Welfare 2008, Helsinki, Finland, Institute of Health and Welfare, 2008.
- T. Sarkola, H. Kahila, M. Gissler, and E. Halmesmäki, “Risk factors for out-of-home custody child care among families with alcohol and substance abuse problems,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 96, no. 11, pp. 1571–1576, 2007.
- V. J. Felitti, R. F. Anda, D. Nordenberg et al., “Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults: the adverse childhood experiences (ACE) study,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 245–258, 1998.
- E. F. Rothman, E. M. Edvards, T. Heeren, and R. W. Hingson, “Adverse childhood experiences predict earlier age of drinking onset: results from a representative US sample of current or former drinkers,” Pediatrics, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 298–304, 2008.
- K. S. Kendler, K. Sheth, C. O. Gardner, and C. A. Prescott, “Childhood parental loss and risk for first-onset of major depression and alcohol dependence: the time-decay of risk and sex differences,” Psychological Medicine, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1187–1194, 2002.
- S. J. Latendresse, R. J. Rose, R. J. Viken, L. Pulkkinen, J. Kaprio, and D. M. Dick, “Parenting mechanisms in links between parent's and adolescents alcohol use behaviors,” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 322–330, 2008.
- J. Veijola, E. Läärä, M. Joukamaa, et al., “Temporary parental separation at birth and substance use disorder in adulthood. a long-term follow-up of the Finnish Christmas Seal Home Children,” Social Psychiatry & Psychiatric Epidemiology, vol. 43, pp. 11–17, 2008.
- S. R. Dube, R. F. Anda, V. J. Felitti, V. J. Edvards, and J. B. Croft, “Adverse childhood experiences and personal alcohol abuse as an adult,” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 713–725, 2002.
- S. R. Dube, J. W. Miller, D. W. Brown et al., “Adverse childhood experiences and the association with ever using alcohol and initiating alcohol use during adolescence,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 444.e1–444.e10, 2006.
- S. Yang, J. W. Lynch, T. E. Raghunathan, J. Kauhanen, J. T. Salonen, and G. A. Kaplan, “Socioeconomic and psychosocial exposures across the life course and binge drinking in adulthood: population-based study,” The American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 165, no. 2, pp. 184–193, 2007.
- R. F. Anda, C. L. Whitfield, V. J. Felitti et al., “Adverse childhood experiences, alcoholic parents, and later risk of alcoholism and depression,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 1001–1009, 2002.
- T. A. Lakka, J. M. Venäläinen, R. Rauramaa, R. Salonen, J. Tuomilehto, and J. T. Salonen, “Relation of leisure-time physical activity and cardiorespiratory fitness to the risk of acute myocardial infarction in men,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 330, no. 22, pp. 1549–1554, 1994.
- S. A. Everson, J. Kauhanen, G. A. Kaplan et al., “Hostility and increased risk of mortality and acute myocardial infarction: the mediating role of behavioral risk factors,” The American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 142–152, 1997.
- P. Anderson and B. Baumberg, “Alcohol in Europe—public health perspective: report summary,” Drugs: Education, Prevention and Policy, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 483–488, 2006.
- G. Schumann, M. Johann, J. Frank et al., “Systematic analysis of glutamatergic neurotransmission genes in alcohol dependence and adolescent risky drinking behavior,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 826–838, 2008.
- D. B. Newlin, D. R. Miles, M. B. M. van den Bree, A. E. Gupman, and R. W. Pickens, “Environmental transmission of DSM-IV substance use disorders in adoptive and step families,” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1785–1794, 2006.
- K. Yamamoto, O. L. Davis, S. Dylak, J. Whittaker, C. Marsh, and P. C. van der Westhuizen, “Across six nations: stressful events in the lives of children,” Child Psychiatry and Human Development, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 139–149, 1996.
- N. M. Melhem, M. Walker, G. Moritz, and D. A. Brent, “Antecedents and sequelae of sudden parental death in offspring and surviving caregivers,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 162, no. 5, pp. 403–410, 2008.
- M. Muñiz-Cohen, N. M. Melhem, and D. A. Brent, “Health risk behaviors in parentally bereaved youth,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 164, no. 7, pp. 621–624, 2010.
- T. Huurre, T. Lintonen, J. Kaprio, M. Pelkonen, M. Marttunen, and H. Aro, “Adolescent risk factors for excessive alcohol use at age 32 years: a 16-year prospective follow-up study,” Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 125–134, 2010.
- L. Kauhanen, H. M. Lakka, J. W. Lynch, and J. Kauhanen, “Social disadvantages in childhood and risk of all-cause death and cardiovascular disease in later life: a comparison of historical and retrospective childhood information,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 962–968, 2006.
- J. Freyd, “Betrayal trauma: traumatic amnesia as a response to childhood trauma,” Ethics & Behavior, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 307–329, 1994.
- J. Hardt and M. Rutter, “Validity of adult retrospective reports of adverse childhood experiences: review of the evidence,” Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 260–273, 2004.
- J. Rehm, G. Gmel, C. T. Sempos, and M. Trevisan, “Alcohol-related morbidity and mortality,” Alcohol Research and Health, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 39–51, 2003.