- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Preventive Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 103728, 11 pages
A Randomized Trial Assessing the Effectiveness of Ezetimibe in South Asian Canadians with Coronary Artery Disease or Diabetes: The INFINITY Study
1Schulich Heart Centre, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, D380-2075 Bayview, Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada M4N 3M5
2JSS Medical Research Inc., 9400 Henri-Bourassa W., St-Laurent, PQ, Canada H4S 1N8
3McGill University, Montreal, PQ, Canada
4Division of Cardiology, Toronto East General Hospital, 751 Pape Avenue, Toronto, ON, Toronto East General Hospital, Canada M4K 3T1
53430 Finch Avenue East, Scarborough, ON, Canada M1W 2R5
6Merck Canada Inc., 16711 Trans-Canada Hwy., Kirkland, PQ, Canada H9H 3L1
Received 16 May 2012; Revised 26 October 2012; Accepted 30 October 2012
Academic Editor: Ramesh Vemulapalli
Copyright © 2012 Mina Madan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- “Statistics Canada: Age-standardized mortality rates by selected causes, by sex,” http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/health30a-eng.htm.
- J. C. LaRosa, S. M. Grundy, D. D. Waters et al., “Intensive lipid lowering with atorvastatin in patients with stable coronary disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 14, pp. 1425–1435, 2005.
- T. R. Pedersen, “Randomised trial of cholesterol lowering in 4444 patients with coronary heart disease: the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S),” The Lancet, vol. 344, no. 8934, pp. 1383–1389, 1994.
- The Long-Term Intervention with Pravastatin in Ischaemic Disease (LIPID) Study Group, “Prevention of cardiovascular events and death with pravastatin in patients with coronary heart disease and a broad range of initial cholesterol levels,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 339, pp. 1349–1357, 1998.
- R. Collins, J. Armitage, S. Parish, P. Sleight, and R. Peto, “MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol lowering with simvastatin in 20, 536 high-risk individuals: a randomised placebo-controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 360, no. 9326, pp. 7–22, 2002.
- G. G. Schwartz, A. G. Olsson, M. D. Ezekowitz et al., “Effects of atorvastatin on early recurrent ischemic events in acute coronary syndromes the MIRACL study: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 285, no. 13, pp. 1711–1718, 2001.
- C. P. Cannon, E. Braunwald, C. H. McCabe, Pravastatin or Atorvastatin Evaluation and Infection Therapy-Thrombolysis in Myocardial Infarction 22 Investigators, et al., “Comparison of intensive and moderate lipid lowering with statins after acute coronary syndromes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, pp. 1495–1504, 2004.
- J. A. De Lemos, M. A. Blazing, S. D. Wiviott et al., “Early intensive vs a delayed conservative simvastatin strategy in patients with acute coronary syndromes: phase Z of the A to Z trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 292, no. 11, pp. 1307–1316, 2004.
- J. Genest, R. McPherson, J. Frohlich et al., “2009 Canadian Cardiovascular Society/Canadian guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of dyslipidemia and prevention of cardiovascular disease in the adult—2009 recommendations,” Canadian Journal of Cardiology, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 567–579, 2009.
- E. Bruckert, P. Giral, and P. Tellier, “Perspectives in cholesterol-lowering therapy: the role of ezetimibe, a new selective inhibitor of intestinal cholesterol absorption,” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 25, pp. 3124–3128, 2003.
- M. Gupta, N. Singh, and S. Verma, “South Asians and cardiovascular risk: what clinicians should know,” Circulation, vol. 113, no. 25, pp. e924–e929, 2006.
- M. Gupta and S. Brister, “Is South Asian ethnicity an independent cardiovascular risk factor?” Canadian Journal of Cardiology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 193–197, 2006.
- S. A. Pandey, S. Bissonnette, S. Boukas, et al., “Effectiveness and tolerability of ezetimibe co-administered with statins versus statin dose-doubling in high-risk patients with persistent hyperlipidemia: the EZE, (STAT)2 Trial,” Archives of Medical Science, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 767–775, 2011.
- V. B. Patel, M. A. Robbins, and E. J. Topol, “C-reactive protein: a “golden marker” for inflammation and coronary artery disease,” Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 521–534, 2001.
- S. Volpato, J. M. Guralnik, L. Ferrucci et al., “Cardiovascular disease, interleukin-6, and risk of mortality in older women: the women's health and aging study,” Circulation, vol. 103, no. 7, pp. 947–953, 2001.
- “Statistics Canada: Ethnocultural portrait of Canada highlight tables, 2006 Census,” http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/050322/dq050322b-eng.htm.
- S. S. Anand, S. Yusuf, V. Vuksan et al., “Differences in risk factors, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease between ethnic groups in Canada: the Study of Health Assessment and Risk in Ethnic groups (SHARE),” The Lancet, vol. 356, no. 9226, pp. 279–284, 2000.
- P. C. Deedwania, M. Gupta, M. Stein, J. Yčas, and A. Gold, “Comparison of rosuvastatin versus atorvastatin in south-asian patients at risk of coronary heart disease (from the IRIS Trial),” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 99, no. 11, pp. 1538–1543, 2007.
- K. C. Ferdinand, L. T. Clark, K. E. Watson et al., “Comparison of efficacy and safety of Rosuvastatin versus Atorvastatin in African-American patients in a six-week trial,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 229–235, 2006.
- R. Lloret, J. Yčas, M. Stein, and S. Haffner, “Comparison of Rosuvastatin Versus Atorvastatin in Hispanic-Americans With Hypercholesterolemia (from the STARSHIP Trial),” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 768–773, 2006.
- J. K. Liao, “Safety and efficacy of statins in Asians,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 410–414, 2007.
- R. McPherson, J. Frohlich, G. Fodor, and J. Genest, “Canadian Cardiovascular Society position statement—recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of dyslipidemia and prevention of cardiovascular disease,” Canadian Journal of Cardiology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 913–927, 2006.
- M. Gupta, M. F. B. Braga, H. Teoh, M. Tsigoulis, and S. Verma, “Statin effects on LDL and HDL cholesterol in South Asian and white populations,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 831–837, 2009.
- T. A. Pearson, M. A. Denke, P. E. McBride, W. P. Battisti, W. E. Brady, and J. Palmisano, “A community-based, randomized trial of ezetimibe added to statin therapy to attain NCEP ATP III goals for LDL cholesterol in hypercholesterolemic patients: the ezetimibe add-on to statin for effectiveness (EASE) trial,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 587–595, 2005.
- E. Lindmark, E. Diderholm, L. Wallentin, and A. Siegbahn, “Relationship between interleukin 6 and mortality in patients with unstable coronary artery disease: effects of an early invasive or noninvasive strategy,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 286, no. 17, pp. 2107–2113, 2001.
- E. N. Deliargyris, R. J. Raymond, T. C. Theoharides, W. S. Boucher, D. A. Tate, and G. J. Dehmer, “Sites of interleukin-6 release in patients with acute coronary syndromes and in patients with congestive heart failure,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 86, no. 9, pp. 913–918, 2000.
- J. C. Chambers, S. Eda, P. Bassett et al., “C-reactive protein, insulin resistance, central obesity, and coronary heart disease risk in Indian Asians from the United Kingdom compared with European whites,” Circulation, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 145–150, 2001.
- S. L. Janson, M. E. Alioto, and H. A. Boushey, “Attrition and retention of ethnically diverse subjects in a multicenter randomized controlled research trial,” Controlled Clinical Trials, vol. 22, supplement 6, pp. 236S–43S, 2001.
- P. A. Areán, J. Alvidrez, R. Nery, C. Estes, and K. Linkins, “Recruitment and retention of older minorities in mental health services research,” Gerontologist, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 36–44, 2003.
- S. M. Stahl and L. Vasquez, “Approaches to improving recruitment and retention of minority elders participating in research: examples from selected research groups including the National Institute on Aging's Resource Centers for Minority Aging Research,” Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 16, supplement 5, pp. 9S–17S, 2004.
- G. Moreno-John, A. Gachie, C. M. Fleming et al., “Ethnic minority older adults participating in clinical research: developing trust,” Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 16, supplement 5, pp. 93S–123S, 2004.