- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Preventive Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 541489, 8 pages
Substance Abuse Treatment, HIV/AIDS, and the Continuum of Response for People Who Inject Drugs
1Division of Pharmacologic Therapies, Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MD 20857, USA
2HIV/AIDS Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration, Rockville, MD 20857, USA
Received 3 August 2012; Revised 3 October 2012; Accepted 4 October 2012
Academic Editor: Kevin P. Mulvey
Copyright © 2012 Thomas F. Kresina et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Van Praag, “Shared responsibility between all affected by HIV / AIDS. “Comprehensive care across a continuum”,” Aids Asia, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 10–15, 1995.
- J. Ogden, S. Esim, and C. Grown, “Expanding the care continuum for HIV/AIDS: bringing carers into focus,” Health Policy and Planning, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 333–342, 2006.
- E. Goosby, D. Von Zinkernagel, C. Holmes, D. Haroz, and T. Walsh, “Raising the bar: PEPFAR and new paradigms for global health,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. vol 60, supplement 3, pp. S158–S162, 2012.
- M. Saag, “Viva no difference,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 1252–1254, 2012.
- R. D. Moore, J. Keruly, and J. D. Bartlett, “HIV/AIDS: improvement in the health of HIV-infected persons in care: reducing disparities,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 55, pp. 1242–1251, 2012.
- N. Warren, “Involving patient and family advisors in the patient and family-centered care model,” MEDSURG Nursing, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 233–239, 2012.
- M. D. Avery, O. Montgomery, and E. Brandl-Salutz, “Essential components of successful collaborative maternity care models: the ACOG-ACNM project,” Obstetrics & Gynecology Clinics of North America, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 423–434, 2012.
- M. Carlson, R. T. Brennan, and F. Earls, “enhancing adolescent self-efficacy and collective efficacy through public engagement around HIV/AIDS competence: a multilevel, cluster randomized controlled trial,” Social Science & Medicine, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 1078–1087, 2012.
- B. Rachlis, K. C. Brouwer, E. J. Mills, M. Hayes, T. Kerr, and R. S. Hogg, “Migration and transmission of blood-borne infections among injection drug users: understanding the epidemiologic bridge,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 90, no. 2-3, pp. 107–119, 2007.
- E. Dmitrieva, S. A. Frolov, T. F. Kresina, and W. Slater, “A model for retention and continuity of care and treatment for opioid dependent injection drug users in the Russian Federation,” Health, vol. 4, pp. 457–463, 2012.
- World Health Organization, Essential Prevention and Care Interventions for Adults and Adolescents Living with HIV in Resource-Limited Settings, WHO Press, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008.
- World Health Organization, WHO,UNODC, UNAIDS Technical Guide for Countries to Set Targets for Universal Access to HIV Prevention, Treatment and Care for Injection Drug Users, WHO Press, Geneva, Switzerland, 2009.
- K. S. Kaushik, K. Kapila, and A. K. Praharaj, “Shooting up: the interface of microbial infections and drug abuse,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 408–422, 2011.
- S. Hillis, L. Zapata, C. L. Robbins, et al., “HIV seroprevalence among orphaned and homeless youth: no place like home,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 105–110, 2012.
- G. L. Reynolds, D. G. Fisher, and L. E. Napper, “Assessment of risky injection practices associated with hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and human immunodeficiency virus and using the blood-borne virus transmission risk assessment questionnaire,” Journal of Addictive Diseases, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 80–88, 2012.
- C. Aceijas, G. V. Stimson, M. Hickman, and T. Rhodes, “Global overview of injecting drug use and HIV infection among injecting drug users,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 18, no. 17, pp. 2295–2303, 2004.
- IHRDP (International Harm Reduction Development Program), “Harm reduction developments 2005: countries with injection-driven HIV epidemics,” Open Society Institute, New York, NY, USA, 2006, http://www.soros.org/initiatives/health/focus/ihrd/articles_publications/publications/ihrdreport_20060417/ihrd_ar.pdf.
- J. Chin, The AIDS Pandemic: The Collision of Epidemiology with Political Correctness, Radcliffe, Oxford, UK, 2007.
- K. Goodkin, “Evolution of neuro-AIDS during the HAART era,” Journal of Neuro-AIDS, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 1–17, 2002.
- R. Ellis, D. Langford, and E. Masliah, “HIV and antiretroviral therapy in the brain: neuronal injury and repair,” Nature Reviews Neuroscience, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 33–44, 2007.
- G. Chana, I. P. Everall, L. Crews et al., “Cognitive deficits and degeneration of interneurons in HIV+ methamphetamine users,” Neurology, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 1486–1489, 2006.
- M. J. Kreek, L. Borg, E. Ducat, and B. Ray, “Pharmacotherapy in the treatment of addiction: methadone,” Journal of Addictive Diseases, vol. 29, pp. 200–216, 2010.
- P. Millson, L. Challacombe, P. J. Villeneuve et al., “Determinants of health-related quality of life of opiate users at entry to low-threshold methadone programs,” European Addiction Research, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 74–82, 2006.
- D. R. Gastfriend, “Intramuscular extended-release naltrexone: current evidence,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1216, pp. 144–166, 2011.
- E. Krupitsky, E. Zvartau, and G. Woody, “Use of naltrexone to treat opioid addiction in a country in which methadone and buprenorphine are not available,” Current Psychiatry Reports, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 448–453, 2010.
- International Narcotics Control Board, “Report of the International Narcotics Control Board on the Availability of Controlled Drugs: Ensuring Adequate Access for Medical and Scientific Purposes,” United Nations Publication, New York, NY, USA, 2011, http://www.ondcp.org/.
- M. J. Kreek, L. Borg, E. Ducat, and B. Ray, “Pharmacotherapy in the treatment of addiction: methadone,” Journal of Addictive Diseases, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 209–216, 2010.
- B. M. Mathers, L. Degenhardt, H. Ali et al., “HIV prevention, treatment, and care services for people who inject drugs: a systematic review of global, regional, and national coverage,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9719, pp. 1014–1028, 2010.
- B. M. Mathers, L. Degenhardt, B. Phillips et al., “Global epidemiology of injecting drug use and HIV among people who inject drugs: a systematic review,” The Lancet, vol. 372, no. 9651, pp. 1733–1745, 2008.
- T. F. Kresina, R. D. Bruce, and S. Pirard, “International expansion of the use of pharmacotherapies for the treatment of opioid dependence,” Clinical & Experimental Pharmacology. In press, http://www.omicsonline.org/ArchiveCPECR/articleinpressCPECR.php.
- Y. Mizuno, D. Purcell, T. M. Borkowski, and K. Knight, “The life priorities of HIV-seropositive injection drug users: findings from a community-based sample,” AIDS and Behavior, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 395–403, 2003.
- M. A. Schuckit, “Comorbidity between substance use disorders and psychiatric conditions,” Addiction, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 76–88, 2006.
- A. R. Gilbert, J. P. morrissey, and M. E. Domino, “Service utilization patterns as predictors of response to trauma-informed intergated treatment for women with co-ocurring disorders,” Journal of Dual Diagnosis, vol. 7, no. 3, Article ID 11729, 2011.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Adminsitation ( SAMHSA), “Medication-assistd treatment for opioid addiction in opioid treatment progams: a treatment improvment protocol,” Treatment Improvement Protocol, 2006, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK64164/.
- M. Kidorf, V. L. King, K. Neufeld, J. Peirce, K. Kolodner, and R. K. Brooner, “Improving substance abuse treatment enrollment in community syringe exchangers,” Addiction, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 786–795, 2009.
- J. J. Lloyd, E. P. Ricketts, S. A. Strathdee et al., “Social contextual factors associated with entry into opiate agonist treatment among injection drug users,” American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 555–570, 2005.
- N. D. Crawford and D. Vlahov, “Progress in HIV reduction and prevention among injection and noninjection drug users,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. S84–S87, 2010.
- A. Taege, “Seek and treat: HIV update 2011,” Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 95–100, 2011.
- T. F. Kresina, C. Maxwell, M. W. Parrino, and R. Lubran, “Testing and counseling for hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and HIV infections in opioid treatment programs (OTP’s). Summary results from two surveys,” in Proceedings of the CDC HCV Prevention Conference, Washington, DC, USA, 2005.
- H. A. Pollack and T. D'Aunno, “HIV testing and counseling in the nation's outpatient substance abuse treatment system, 1995-2005,” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 307–316, 2010.
- S. Keller, J. Jones, and E. Erbelding, “Choice of rapid HIV testing and entrance into care in Baltimore City sexually transmitted infections clinics,” AIDS Patient Care and STDs, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 237–243, 2011.
- F. L. Altice, A. Kamarulzaman, V. V. Soriano, M. Schechter, and G. H. Friedland, “Treatment of medical, psychiatric, and substance-use comorbidities in people infected with HIV who use drugs,” The Lancet, vol. 376, no. 9738, pp. 367–387, 2010.
- S. Moreno, A. Mocroft, and A. D. Monforte, “Medical and societal consequences of late presentation,” Antiviral Therapy, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 2010.
- S. D. Newsome, E. Johnson, C. Pardo, J. C. McArthur, and A. Nath, “Fulminant encephalopathy with basal ganglia hyperintensities in HIV-infected drug users,” Neurology, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 787–794, 2011.