- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Preventive Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 732484, 5 pages
Methadone Maintenance Therapy in Vietnam: An Overview and Scaling-Up Plan
1Vietnam Administration of HIV/AIDS Control (VAAC), Ministry of Health, Ha Noi, Vietnam
2Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, Rockville, MD 20857, USA
Received 10 August 2012; Accepted 17 October 2012
Academic Editor: R. Douglas Bruce
Copyright © 2012 Tam T. M. Nguyen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Ministry of Public Security, Vietnam National Report on Situation of Illicit Drugs in 2011 and the first 6 months on 2012.
- UNICEF, Young People and HIV/AIDS, A UNICEF Factsheet, 2002.
- Government of Vietnam, Declaration of Commitment on HIV and AIDS (UNGASS) Report, 2012.
- DHHS/The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Medication assisted treatment (MAT), 2009.
- NIDA, Methadone research web guide, 2006, http://international.drugabuse.gov/educational-opportunities/certificate-programs/methadone-research-web-guide.
- Government of Vietnam, Decision 1001/QD-TTg on National Strategy on Drug Control, 2011.
- Government of Vietnam, Decision 108/ND-CP detailing the law on HIV/AIDS, 2007.
- Government of Vietnam, Guideline on the Implementation of HIV/AIDS Law, 2007.
- Ministry of Health, Guidelines on Methadone Substitution Therapy for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence, Medical Publishing House, 2011.
- Ministry of Health, Decision 5073/QD-BYT on Piloting Methadone Maintenance Treatment in Hai Phong and Ho Chi Minh City, 2007.
- T. L. Nguyen, D. M. Pham, T. M. T. Nguyen, et al., “Summary of the major findings from an evaluation of the pilot methadone maitenance therapy program in Vietnam,” Journal of Practice Medicine, Vietnam Ministry of Health, vol. 742-743, pp. 332–334, 2010, (The collection of Research on HIV/AIDS, 2006–2010).
- D. C. Des Jarlais, R. Kling, T. M. Hammett et al., “Reducing HIV infection among new injecting drug users in the China-Vietnam Cross Border Project,” AIDS, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. S109–S114, 2007.
- R. Kessler and D. Mroczek, The Kessler Psychological Distress Scale (K10), 1994.
- T. H. Nguyen, et al., “Impact of methadone on mental health, quality of life and social integration of injecting drug users in Vietnam,” Journal of Practice Medicine, Vietnam Ministry of Health, vol. 742-743, 2010, (The collection of Research on HIV/AIDS, 2006–2010 ).
- Ministry of Health, A report on the Methadone Maintenance Treatment Program to the Deputy Prime Minister, 2011.
- B. Tran, A. Duong, and L. Nguyen, “Cost Effectiveness of opioid substitution therapy using methadone on HIV prevention, care and treatment in Vietnam,” Journal of Practice Medicine, Vietnam Ministry of Health, vol. 742-743, 2010, (The collection of Research on HIV/AIDS, 2006–2010).
- B. X. Tran, A. Ohinmaa, A. T. Duong et al., “Cost-effectiveness of methadone maintenance treatment for HIV-positive drug users in Vietnam,” AIDS Care, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 283–290, 2012.
- K. Hoang, et al., Methadone Maintenance Treatment Program in Hai Phong, Vietnam, AATOD, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, 2011.
- Government of Vietnam, Conclusion 84/TB-VPCP on Drug, HIV/AIDS and Prostitution Control of 2011 and Direction for 2012, 2012.
- Government of Vietnam, Decision 32/2010/QDTTG on the Development of Social Work in Vietnam, 2010–2020, 2010.
- DHHS/The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Medication-Asisted Treatment for Opioid Addiction, Facts for Family and Friend, 2009.
- Y. P. Bao, Z. M. Liu, D. H. Epstein, C. Du, J. Shi, and L. Lu, “A meta-analysis of retention in methadone maintenance by dose and dosing strategy,” American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 28–33, 2009.
- WHO, WHO, UNODC, UNAIDS technical guide for countries to set targets for universal access to HIV prevention, treatment and care for Injecting Drug Users, 2009, https://www.unodc.org/documents/hiv-aids/idu_target_setting_guide.pdf.
- K. A. Urbanoski, “Coerced addiction treatment: client perspectives and the implications of their neglect,” Harm Reduction Journal, vol. 7, article 13, 2010.
- S. Glasner-Edwards and R. Rawson, “Evidence-based practices in addiction treatment: review and recommendations for public policy,” Health Policy, vol. 97, no. 2-3, pp. 93–104, 2010.
- M. Jardine, V. A. T. Nguyen, and T. H. Khuat, “Case study: methadone maintenance treatment in Hanoi, Vietnam,” Harm Reduction Journal, vol. 9 article 26, 2012.