- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Preventive Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 690386, 9 pages
Why the Treatment of Mental Disorders Is an Important Component of HIV Prevention among People Who Inject Drugs
1Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 1 Choke Cherry Road, Rockville, MD 20857, USA
2School of General Studies, Columbia University, 2970 Broadway, New York, NY 10027, USA
3Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 722 W. 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Received 18 September 2012; Revised 6 November 2012; Accepted 18 December 2012
Academic Editor: Thomas F. Kresina
Copyright © 2013 Elizabeth Buckingham et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Cournos, K. McKinnon, and M. Wainberg, “Global initiatives for HIV/AIDS and programs promoting global access to mental health care: putting mental health into public health,” in Mental Health in Public Health, L. B. Cottler, Ed., pp. 57–76, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 2011.
- J. Swendsen, K. P. Conway, L. Degenhardt et al., “Mental disorders as risk factors for substance use, abuse and dependence: results from the 10-year follow-up of the National Comorbidity Survey,” Addiction, vol. 105, no. 6, pp. 1117–1128, 2010.
- E. Wood, T. Kerr, M. W. Tyndall, and J. S. Montaner, “A review of barriers and facilitators of HIV treatment among injection drug users,” AIDS, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1247–1256, 2008.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, American Psychiatric Association Press, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 2000.
- C. T. Williams and C. A. Latkin, “The role of depressive symptoms in predicting sex with multiple and high-risk partners,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 69–73, 2005.
- L. W. H. Yun, M. Maravi, J. S. Kobayashi, P. L. Barton, and A. J. Davidson, “Antidepressant treatment improves adherence to antiretroviral therapy among depressed HIV-infected patients,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 432–438, 2005.
- E. T. Golub, J. A. Astemborski, D. R. Hoover, J. C. Anthony, D. Vlahov, and S. A. Strathdee, “Psychological distress and progression to AIDS in a cohort of injection drug users,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 429–434, 2003.
- World Health Organization, The Global Burden of Disease: 2004 Update, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008.
- S. M. Cohen, M. M. van Handel, B. M. Branson, et al., “Vital signs: HIV prevention through care and treatment—United States,” Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 60, no. 47, pp. 1618–1623, 2011.
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), Global Report: UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic 2010, UNAIDS, Geneva, Switzerland, 2010.
- B. M. Mathers, L. Degenhardt, B. Phillips et al., “Global epidemiology of injecting drug use and HIV among people who inject drugs: a systematic review,” The Lancet, vol. 372, no. 9651, pp. 1733–1745, 2008.
- S. A. Strathdee and J. K. Stockman, “Epidemiology of HIV among injecting and non-injecting drug users: current trends and implications for interventions,” Current HIV/AIDS Reports, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 99–106, 2010.
- The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, Fact Sheet: The Global HIV/AIDS Epidemic, The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, Menlo Park, Calif, USA, 2012.
- G. Chander, S. Himelhoch, and R. D. Moore, “Substance abuse and psychiatric disorders in HIV-positive patients: epidemiology and impact on antiretroviral therapy,” Drugs, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 769–789, 2006.
- L. R. Ropelewski, B. E. Mancha, A. Hulbert, A. E. Rudolph, and S. S. Martins, “Correlates of risky injection practices among past-year injection drug users among the US general population,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 116, no. 1–3, pp. 64–71, 2011.
- P. Dietze, M. Stoové, P. Miller et al., “The self-reported personal wellbeing of a sample of Australian injecting drug users,” Addiction, vol. 105, no. 12, pp. 2141–2148, 2010.
- S. Iskandar, R. Kamal, and C. A. de Jong, “Psychiatric comorbidity in injecting drug users in Asia and Africa,” Current Opinion in Psychiatry, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 213–218, 2012.
- M. E. Mackesy-Amiti, G. R. Donenberg, and L. J. Ouellet, “Prevalence of psychiatric disorders among young injection drug users,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 124, no. 1-2, pp. 70–78, 2012.
- R. K. Brooner, V. L. King, M. Kidorf, C. W. Schmidt, and G. E. Bigelow, “Psychiatric and substance use comorbidity among treatment-seeking opioid abusers,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 71–80, 1997.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, American Psychiatric Association Press, Washington, DC, USA, 3rd edition, 1987.
- S. H. Dinwiddie, “Characteristics of injection drug users derived from a large family study of alcoholism,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 218–229, 1997.
- S. C. Chiang, S. J. Chen, H. J. Sun, H. Y. Chan, and W. J. Chen, “Heroin use among youths incarcerated for illicit drug use: psychosocial environment, substance use history, psychiatric comorbidity, and route of administration,” American Journal on Addictions, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 233–241, 2006.
- D. J. Pilowsky, L. T. Wu, B. Burchett, D. G. Blazer, and W. Ling, “Depressive symptoms, substance use, and HIV-related high-risk behaviors among opioid-dependent individuals: results from the Clinical Trials Network,” Substance Use & Misuse, vol. 46, no. 14, pp. 1716–1725, 2011.
- A. Hakansson, L. Bradvik, F. Schlyter, and M. Berglund, “Factors associated with the history of attempted suicide: a criminal justice population examined with the Addiction Severity Index (ASI),” Crisis, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 12–21, 2010.
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), AIDS Epidemic Update : 2004, UNAIDS, Geneva, Switzerland, 2004.
- C. M. Schumacher, V. F. Go, L. van Nam et al., “Social injecting and other correlates of high-risk sexual activity among injecting drug users in northern Vietnam,” International Journal of Drug Policy, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 352–356, 2009.
- H. Wang, R. Y. Chen, G. Ding et al., “Prevalence and predictors of HIV infection among female sex workers in Kaiyuan City, Yunnan Province, China,” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 162–169, 2009.
- L. G. Johnston, A. Holman, M. Dahoma et al., “HIV risk and the overlap of injecting drug use and high-risk sexual behaviours among men who have sex with men in Zanzibar (Unguja), Tanzania,” International Journal of Drug Policy, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 485–492, 2010.
- C. L. Miller, M. E. Pearce, A. Moniruzzaman et al., “The Cedar Project: risk factors for transition to injection drug use among young, urban Aboriginal people,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 183, no. 10, pp. 1147–1154, 2011.
- M. J. Milloy, T. Kerr, J. Buxton, et al., “Social and environmental predictors of plasma HIV RNA rebound among injection drug users treated with antiretroviral therapy,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 393–399, 2012.
- M. Alegría, M. Vera, D. H. Freeman Jr., R. Robles, C. M. Del Santos, and C. L. Rivera, “HIV infection, risk behaviors, and depressive symptoms among Puerto Rican sex workers,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 84, no. 12, pp. 2000–2002, 1994.
- M. L. Burnette, E. Lucas, M. Ilgen, S. M. Frayne, J. Mayo, and J. C. Weitlauf, “Prevalence and health correlates of prostitution among patients entering treatment for substance use disorders,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 337–344, 2008.
- M. Farley, I. Baral, M. Kiremire, and U. Sezgin, “Prostitution in five countries: violence and post-traumatic stress disorder,” Feminism and Psychology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 405–426, 1998.
- M. Farley and V. Kelly, “Prostitution: a critical review of the medical and social sciences literature,” Women & Criminal Justice, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 29–64, 2000.
- A. Roxburgh, L. Degenhardt, and J. Copeland, “Posttraumatic stress disorder among female street-based sex workers in the greater Sydney area, Australia,” BMC Psychiatry, vol. 6, article 24, 2006.
- M. Shahmanesh, S. Wayal, F. Cowan, D. Mabey, A. Copas, and V. Patel, “Suicidal behavior among female sex workers in Goa, India: the silent epidemic,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 1239–1246, 2009.
- Y. Hong, X. Fang, X. Li, Y. Liu, M. Li, and T. Tai-Seale, “Self-perceived stigma, depressive symptoms, and suicidal behaviors among female sex workers in China,” Journal of Transcultural Nursing, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 2010.
- W. Rössler, U. Koch, C. Lauber, et al., “The mental health of female sex workers,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 143–152, 2010.
- P. M. Simon, E. V. Morse, H. J. Osofsky, P. M. Balson, and H. R. Gaumer, “Psychological characteristics of a sample of male street prostitutes,” Archives of Sexual Behavior, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 33–44, 1992.
- N. El-Bassel, R. F. Schilling, K. L. Irwin et al., “Sex trading and psychological distress among women recruited from the streets of Harlem,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 66–70, 1997.
- I. Vanwesenbeeck, “Another decade of social scientific work on sex work: a review of research 1990–2000,” Annual Review of Sex Research, vol. 12, pp. 242–289, 2001.
- G. Gilchrist, A. Blazquez, and M. Torrens, “Psychiatric, behavioral and social risk factors for HIV infection among female drug users,” AIDS and Behavior, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1834–1843, 2011.
- R. C. Trenz, M. Scherer, P. Harrell, J. Zur, A. Sinha, and W. Latimer, “Early onset of drug and polysubstance use as predictors of injection drug use among adult drug users,” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 367–372, 2012.
- C. S. Meade and K. J. Sikkema, “HIV risk behavior among adults with severe mental illness: a systematic review,” Clinical Psychology Review, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 433–457, 2005.
- J. Leserman, “HIV disease progression: depression, stress, and possible mechanisms,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 295–306, 2003.
- P. van Empelen, G. Kok, N. M. C. van Kesteren, B. van den Borne, A. E. R. Bos, and H. P. Schaalma, “Effective methods to change sex-risk among drug users: a review of psychosocial interventions,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 1593–1608, 2003.
- R. Harding, F. C. Lampe, S. Norwood et al., “Symptoms are highly prevalent among HIV outpatients and associated with poor adherence and unprotected sexual intercourse,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 86, no. 7, pp. 520–524, 2010.
- L. Sherr, F. Lampe, S. Norwood et al., “Adherence to antiretroviral treatment in patients with HIV in the UK: a study of complexity,” AIDS Care, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 442–448, 2008.
- L. Sherr, C. Clucas, R. Harding, E. Sibley, and J. Catalan, “HIV and depression—a systematic review of interventions,” Psychology, Health & Medicine, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 493–527, 2011.
- E. G. Bing, M. A. Burnam, D. Longshore et al., “Psychiatric disorders and drug use among human immunodeficiency virus-infected adults in the United States,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 58, no. 8, pp. 721–728, 2001.
- J. A. Ciesla and J. E. Roberts, “Meta-analysis of the relationship between HIV infection and risk for depressive disorders,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 158, no. 5, pp. 725–730, 2001.
- J. R. Ickovics, M. E. Hamburger, D. Vlahov et al., “Mortality, CD4 cell count decline, and depressive symptoms among HIV-seropositive women: longitudinal analysis from the HIV epidemiology research study,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 285, no. 11, pp. 1466–1474, 2001.
- J. A. Cook, D. Grey, J. Burke et al., “Depressive symptoms and AIDS-related mortality among a multisite cohort of HIV-positive women,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 1133–1140, 2004.
- M. Gutmann and A. Fullem, Mental Health and HIV/AIDS, USAID|AIDSTAR-ONE PROJECT, Task Order I, Arlington, Va, USA, 2009.
- K. Demyttenaere, P. Morosini, G. Polidori , et al., “Prevalence, severity, and unmet need for treatment of mental disorders in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 291, no. 21, pp. 2581–2590, 2004.
- A. Gonzalez, J. Barinas, and C. O'Cleirigh, “Substance use: impact on adherence and HIV medical treatment,” Current HIV/AIDS Reports, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 223–234, 2011.
- V. Patel, “Mental health in the developing world: time for innovative thinking,” Science and Development Network, 2008, http://www.scidev.net/en/opinions/mental-health-in-the-developing-world-time-for-inn.html.
- D. Wolfe, M. P. Carrieri, and D. Shepard, “Treatment and care for injecting drug users with HIV infection: a review of barriers and ways forward,” The Lancet, vol. 376, no. 9738, pp. 355–366, 2010.
- L. Wiessing, G. Likatavičius, D. Klempová, D. Hedrich, A. Nardone, and P. Griffiths, “Associations between availability and coverage of HIV-prevention measures and subsequent incidence of diagnosed HIV infection among injection drug users,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 99, no. 6, pp. 1049–1052, 2009.
- F. L. Altice, A. Kamarulzaman, V. V. Soriano, M. Schechter, and G. H. Friedland, “Treatment of medical, psychiatric, and substance-use comorbidities in people infected with HIV who use drugs,” The Lancet, vol. 376, no. 9738, pp. 367–387, 2010.
- World Health Organization, UNODC, and UNAIDS, Technical Guide for Countries to Set Targets for Universal Access to HIV Prevention, Treatment and Care for Injecting Drug Users, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2009.
- U. S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), Comprehensive HIV Prevention For People Who Inject Drugs, Revised Guidance, 2010, http://www.pepfar.gov/documents/organization/144970.pdf.
- World Health Organization, Global HIV/AIDS Response: Epidemic Update and Health Sector Progress Towards Universal Access: Progress Report 2011, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2011.
- World Health Organization, European Action Plan For HIV/AIDS, 2012–2015, WHO Regional Office for Europe, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2011.
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, UNAIDS World AIDS Day Report 2011, UNAIDS, Geneva, Switzerland, 2011.
- Global Initiative on Psychiatry, Double Stigma, Double Challenge: Mental Health and HIV/AIDS in Central and Eastern Europe and the Newly Independent States, 2006, http://www.gip-global.org/images/28/282.pdf.
- M. Aigul, V. Nadezhda, and K. Vladimir, “Mental health problems of drug injecting PLHIV in Kazakhstan,” Mental Health and HIV/AIDS Project (2005–2008) of The Global Initiative on Psychiatry (GIP), 2007, http://www.mh-center.org/library/MAIDS_Research_Reports_MH_IDU_in_Kazakhstan.pdf.
- N. Juraeva, M. Haitova, P. Jamailov, and K. Aliev, “Rapid assessment of mental health problems among PLHIV-IDU,” Center on Mental Health and HIV/AIDS, 2008.
- P. Murthy and P. Chand, “Treatment of dual diagnosis disorders,” Current Opinion in Psychiatry, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 194–200, 2012.
- J. Walkup, M. B. Blank, J. S. Gonzalez et al., “The impact of mental health and substance abuse factors on HIV prevention and treatment,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 47, supplement 1, pp. S15–S19, 2008.