- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Preventive Medicine
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 906107, 9 pages
Prevalence of Voluntary Counseling and Testing Utilization and Its Associated Factors among Bahirdar University Students
1Department of Public Health, College of Medicine and Health Science, Semera University, P.O. Box 132, Samara, Ethiopia
2Department of Public Health, College of Medicine and Health Science, Bahirdar University, P.O. Box 79, Bahirdar, Ethiopia
Received 3 March 2014; Revised 22 May 2014; Accepted 5 June 2014; Published 3 July 2014
Academic Editor: Katrin S. Kohl
Copyright © 2014 Getachew Fikadie et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- UNAIDS/WHO, Report on the Global HIV/AIDS Epidemic, Geneva, Switzerland, 2010.
- Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and Federal HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control Office, “Report on progress towards implementation of the UN declaration of commitment on HIV/AIDS,” Tech. Rep., Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2010.
- UNAIDS, Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic 2004: Executive Summary, UNAIDS, Geneva, Switzerland, 2004.
- UNAIDS/WHO, Report on the Global HIV/AIDS Epidemic, Geneva, Switzerland, 2006.
- UNAIDS/WHO, Report on the Global HIV/AIDS Epidemic, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2004.
- UNAIDS, Synthesis of Strategic Information on HIV and Young People. Securing the Future Today, Geneva, Switzerland, 2011.
- WHO/UNAIDS/UNICEF, Report on the Global HIV/AIDS Epidemic, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2009.
- USAIDS, HIV/AIDS Profile Report: Ethiopia, Geneva, Switzerland, September 2010.
- UNAIDS, “Tools for evaluating HIV voluntary counseling and testing: best experience collection,” May 2000.
- N. Menzies, B. Abang, R. Wanyenze, et al., “The costs and effectiveness of four HIV counseling and testing strategies in Uganda,” AIDS, vol. 23, pp. 395–401, 2009.
- UNAIDS, Policy Statement on HIV Testing and Counseling, UNAIDS, Geneva, Switzerland, 1999.
- UNAIDS, The Impact of Voluntary Counseling and Testing: A Global Review of the Benefits and Challenges, Geneva, Switzerland, August 2001.
- E. Mugisha, G. H. Van Rensburg, and E. Potgieter, “Strategic framework for increasing accessibility and utilization of voluntary counseling and testing services in uganda,” AIDS Research and Treatment, vol. 2011, Article ID 912650, 9 pages, 2011.
- Ministry of Health, “HIV testing and counseling in clinical settings,” Annual Report, National AIDS Control Programme, Tanzania Mainland, 2009.
- Ministry of Health and Child Welfare, HIV/AIDS: A Comprehensive Approach, Ministry of Health, Lusaka, Zambia, 2008.
- Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Federal HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control Office, Report on Progress towards Implementation of the UN Declaration of Commitment on HIV/AIDS, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, March 2010.
- M. Wondwossen, Assessment of VCT utilization for HIV/AIDS among government and non-government employees in Butajira, SNNPR, Ethiopia [MPH thesis], Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2007.
- M. Admassu and Y. Fitaw, “Factors affecting acceptance of VCT among different professional and community groups in North and South Gondar Administrative zones, North West Ethiopia,” Ethiopian Journal of Health Development, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 24–30, 2006.
- CSA [Ethiopia] and ICF International, “Ethiopia Demographic and Health Survey 2011,” Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Calverton, Md, USA, 2012.
- A. Andarge, Determinants of voluntary HIV counseling and testing among Addis Ababa university undergraduate final year students [Ph.D. thesis], School of Graduate Studies, Addis Ababa University, 2008.
- Z. Gashaw, “Knowledge, attitude towards practicing of voluntary HIV counselling testing and the determinants of VCT uptake: a case study in Debre Birhan Teachers Training College,” Ethiopian Journal of Health Development, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 120–132, 2008.
- R. Bunnell, J. P. Ekwaru, P. Solberg et al., “Changes in sexual behavior and risk of HIV transmission after antiretroviral therapy and prevention interventions in rural Uganda,” AIDS, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 85–92, 2006.
- G. Arthur, V. Nduba, S. Forsythe, R. Mutemi, J. Odhiambo, and C. Gilks, “Behaviour change in clients of health centre-based voluntary HIV counselling and testing services in Kenya,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 83, no. 7, pp. 541–546, 2007.
- MOH/HAPCO, AAU, CSA, and EPHA, HIV/AIDS Behavioral Surveillance Survey (BSS) Ethiopia 2005 Round Two, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2005.
- A. Abebe and G. Mitikie, “Perception of high school students towards voluntary HIV counseling and testing, using health belief model in Butajira, SNNPR,” Ethiopian Journal of Health Development, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 148–153, 2009.
- C. A. Daniyam, P. A. Agaba, and E. I. Agaba, “Acceptability of voluntary counselling and testing among medical students in Jos, Nigeria,” Journal of Infection in Developing Countries, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 357–361, 2010.
- V. Madebwe, M. Crescentia, P. Lilian, and C. Kudakwashe, “Taking the test: voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) among midlands state university students,” Education Research Journal, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 7–13, 2012.
- M. Shingisai, Factors Influencing University Students’ Use of HIV Voluntary Counselling and Testing Services: An Analysis Using the Health Belief Model, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, 2011.
- A. Bayray, “Knowledge, attitude, and practice of voluntary counseling and testing for HIV among university students, Tigray, Northern Ethiopia,” MUJS, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 108–118, 2010.
- A. Julie, “Determinants of using voluntary counseling and testing for HIV/AIDS in Kenya,” Journal of Management Policy and Practice. In Press.
- P. L. Hutchinson and X. Mahlalela, “Utilization of voluntary counseling and testing services in the Eastern Cape, South Africa,” AIDS Care, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 446–455, 2006.
- A. Dirar, “Assessment of factors contributing to voluntary counseling and testing uptake among youth in the Colleges of Harar, Ethiopia,” Harar Bulletin of Health Sciences, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 19–28, 2010.
- O. Simbayi, J. Chauveau, and S. Ramlagan, “Determinants of the use of voluntary counselling and testing services among the sexually active adult population of South Africa,” Antiviral Therapy, vol. 2, no. 161, pp. 13–16, 2003.
- G. Wondimagegn, Factors associated with VCT utilization in Guraghe zone, SNNPR, Ethiopia [MPH. thesis], School Of Graduate Studies of Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2004.
- S. Stephen and N. Florence, “Voluntary counseling and testing services: breaking resistance to access and utilization among the youths in Rakai district of Uganda,” Educational Research and Reviews, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 490–497, 2009.
- L. Yahaya, G. Jimoh, and O. Balogun, “Factors hindering acceptance of HIV/AIDS Voluntary Counseling and Testing (VCT) among youths in Kwara State, Nigeria,” Nigeria. Journal of AIDS and HIV Research, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 138–143, 2010.
- B. Meshesha, Factors influencing voluntary counseling and testing service utilization associated with VCT utilization among youths in Arbaminch town: a health belief model approach. Southern Ethiopia [M.S. thesis], Faculty of Public Health, Jimma University, Jimma, Ethiopia, 2007.