- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Pharmacological Sciences
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 270824, 5 pages
Sedative and Hypnotic Activities of the Methanolic and Aqueous Extracts of Lavandula officinalis from Morocco
1Laboratory of Genetic Immunology and Biochemistry, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Mohammed V Agdal University, BP 6203, Rabat Instituts, Agdal, Rabat, Morocco
2Laboratory of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Department of Drugs Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, Mohammed V Souissi University, ERTP, BP 6203, Rabat Instituts, Agdal, Rabat, Morocco
3National Laboratory of Drugs Controlled, BP 6203, Rabat Instituts, Agdal, Rabat, Morocco
Received 4 August 2011; Revised 16 September 2011; Accepted 1 October 2011
Academic Editor: Elaine Cristina Gavioli
Copyright © 2012 Rachad Alnamer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Bellakhdar, La pharmacopée Marocaine traditionnelle, Ibis Press, 1997.
- A. Tahraoui, J. El-Hilaly, Z. H. Israili, and B. Lyoussi, “Ethnopharmacological survey of plants used in the traditional treatment of hypertension and diabetes in south-eastern Morocco (Errachidia province),” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 105–117, 2007.
- J. El-Hilaly, M. Hmammouchi, and B. Lyoussi, “Ethnobotanical studies and economic evaluation of medicinal plants in Taounate province (Northern Morocco),” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 86, no. 2-3, pp. 149–158, 2003.
- F. Huang, Y. Xiong, L. Xu, S. Ma, and C. Dou, “Sedative and hypnotic activities of the ethanol fraction from Fructus Schisandrae in mice and rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 471–475, 2007.
- M. Herrera-Ruiz, C. Gutiérrez, J. Enrique Jiménez-Ferrer, J. Tortoriello, G. Mirón, and I. León, “Central nervous system depressant activity of an ethyl acetate extract from Ipomoea stans roots,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 243–247, 2007.
- G. Pérez-Ortega, P. Guevara-Fefer, M. Chávez et al., “Sedative and anxiolytic efficacy of Tilia americana var. mexicana inflorescences used traditionally by communities of State of Michoacan, Mexico,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 461–468, 2008.
- J. Bellakhdar, R. Claisse, J. Fleurentin, and C. Younos, “Repertory of standard herbal drugs in the Moroccan pharmacopoea,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 123–143, 1991.
- M. Haloui, L. Louedec, J.-B. Michel, and B. Lyoussi, “Experimental diuretic effects of Rosmarinus officinalis and Centaurium erythraea,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 465–472, 2000.
- K. Tawaha, F. Q. Alali, M. Gharaibeh, M. Mohammad, and T. El-Elimat, “Antioxidant activity and total phenolic content of selected Jordanian plant species,” Food Chemistry, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 1372–1378, 2007.
- K. Munchid, F. Sadiq, A. Tissent, et al., “P214 Cytotoxicité De L'huile Essentielle De Rosmarinus Officinalis,” Transfusion Clinique et Biologique, vol. 12, no. S1, pp. 5135–5136, 2005.
- V. Hajhashemi, A. Ghannadi, and B. Sharif, “Anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of the leaf extracts and essential oil of Lavandula angustifolia Mill,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 67–71, 2003.
- J. T. Litchfield and F. Wilcoxon, “A simplified method of evaluating dose-effect experiments,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 96, pp. 99–113, 1949.
- D. Lorke, “A new approach to practical acute toxicity testing,” Archives of Toxicology, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 275–287, 1983.
- K. Alaoui, M. Belabbes, Y. Cherrah et al., “Acute and chronic toxicity of saponins of Argania spinosa,” Annales Pharmaceutiques Francaises, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 213–219, 1998.
- W. R. Thompson and C. S. Weil, “On the construction of tables for moving-average interpolation,” Biometrics, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 51–54, 1952.
- F. F. Perazzo, J. C. T. Carvalho, J. E. Carvalho, and V. L. G. Rehder, “Central properties of the essential oil and the crude ethanol extract from aerial parts of Artemisia annua L,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 497–502, 2003.
- S. Courvoisier, R. Ducrot, and L. Julou, Psychotropic Drugs, S. Garattini and V. Ghetti, Eds., Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1957.
- M. J. Laroche and F. Rousselet, Les animaux de laboratoire: éthique et bonnes pratiques, Masson, Paris, France, 1990.
- G. Hoffman, Les animaux de laboratoire (précis), Vigot Frères, Paris, France, 1963.
- G. Clark, A. G. Koester, and D. W. Pearson, “Exploratory behavior in chronic disulfoton poisoning in mice,” Psychopharmacologia, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 169–171, 1971.
- S. E. File and A. G. Wardill, “Validity of head dipping as a measure of exploration in a modified hole board,” Psychopharmacologia, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 53–59, 1975.
- E. Williamson, D. Okpako, and F. J. Evans, Selection, Preparation, and Pharmacological Evaluation of Plant Material, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 1996.
- R. Tisserand, The Art of Aromatherapy, C. W. Daniel, Essex, UK, 1993.
- J. Lehrner, G. Marwinski, S. Lehr, P. Johren, and L. Deecke, “Ambient odors of orange and lavender reduce anxiety and improve mood in a dental office,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 86, no. 1-2, pp. 92–95, 2005.
- T. Umezu, K. Nagano, H. Ito, K. Kosakai, M. Sakaniwa, and M. Morita, “Anticonflict effects of lavender oil and identification of its active constituents,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 713–721, 2006.
- P. P. Roy-Byrne, “The GABA-benzodiazepine receptor complex: structure, function, and role in anxiety,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 14–20, 2005.
- C. Gottesmann, “GABA mechanisms and sleep,” Neuroscience, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 231–239, 2002.
- H. P. Rang, M. M. Dale, J. M. Ritter, and P. K. Moore, Pharmacology, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, UK, 2007.
- J. H. Steinbach and G. Akk, “Modulation of GABAA receptor channel gating by pentobarbital,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 537, no. 3, pp. 715–733, 2001.
- S. P. Sivam, T. Nabeshima, and I. K. Ho, “Acute and chronic effects of pentobarbital in relation to postsynaptic GABA receptors: a study with muscimol,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 37–47, 1982.
- G. Zapata-Sudo, T. C. F. Mendes, M. A. Kartnaller et al., “Sedative and anticonvulsant activities of methanol extract of Dorstenia arifolia in mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 9–12, 2010.