- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Pharmacological Sciences
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 304317, 11 pages
Polysaccharides of St. John’s Wort Herb Stimulate NHDF Proliferation and NEHK Differentiation via Influence on Extracellular Structures and Signal Pathways
Institute for Pharmaceutical Biology and Phytochemistry, Westphalian Wilhelms University of Münster, Hittorfstra Be 56, 48149 Münster, Germany
Received 3 February 2012; Revised 13 April 2012; Accepted 13 April 2012
Academic Editor: Abdelwahab Omri
Copyright © 2012 S. Abakuks and A. M. Deters. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Butterweck and A. Nahrstedt, “What is known about St John's wort? Phytochemistry and pharmacology,” Pharmazie in Unserer Zeit, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 212–219, 2003.
- S. Onoue, Y. Seto, M. Ochi et al., “In vitro photochemical and phototoxicological characterization of major constituents in St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) extracts,” Phytochemistry, vol. 72, pp. 1814–1820, 2011.
- M. C. Meinke, S. Schanzer, S. F. Haag, et al., “In vivo photoprotective and anti-inflammatory effect of hyperforin is associated with high antioxidant activity in vitro and ex vivo,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 346–350, 2012.
- M. Müller, K. Essin, K. Hill et al., “Specific TRPC6 channel activation, a novel approach to stimulate keratinocyte differentiation,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 283, no. 49, pp. 33942–33954, 2008.
- C. M. Schempp, T. Windeck, S. Hezel, and J. C. Simon, “Topical treatment of atopic dermatitis with St. John's wort cream—a randomized, placebo controlled, double blind half-side comparison,” Phytomedicine, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 31–37, 2003.
- S. G. von Eggelkraut-Gottanka, S. Abu Abed, W. Müller, and P. C. Schmidt, “Quantitative analysis of the active components and the by-products of eight dry extracts of Hypericum perforatum L. (St John's Wort),” Phytochemical Analysis, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 170–176, 2002.
- C. S. Nergard, T. Matsumoto, M. Inngjerdingen et al., “Structural and immunological studies of a pectin and a pectic arabinogalactan from Vernonia kotschyana Sch. Bip. ex Walp. (Asteraceae),” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 340, no. 1, pp. 115–130, 2005.
- C. Lengsfeld, F. Titgemeyer, G. Faller, and A. Hensel, “Glycosylated compounds from okra inhibit adhesion of Helicobacter pylori to human gastric mucosa,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1495–1503, 2004.
- X. Shu, X. Liu, C. Fu, and Q. Liang, “Extraction, characterization and antitumor effect of the polysaccharides from star anise (Illicium verum Hook. f.),” Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, vol. 4, no. 24, pp. 2666–2673, 2010.
- G. Biagini, A. Bertani, R. Muzzarelli et al., “Wound management with N-carboxybutyl chitosan,” Biomaterials, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 281–286, 1991.
- S. P. Liu, W. G. Dong, D. F. Wu, H. S. Luo, and J. P. Yu, “Protective effect of Angelica sinensis polysaccharide on experimental immunological colon injury in rats,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 2786–2790, 2003.
- G. Peterszegi, N. Isnard, A. M. Robert, and L. Robert, “Studies on skin aging. Preparation and properties of fucose-rich oligo- and polysaccharides. Effect on fibroblast proliferation and survival,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 57, no. 5-6, pp. 187–194, 2003.
- V. Mitev and L. Miteva, “Signal transduction in keratinocytes,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 96–108, 1999.
- J. Zhou, J. G. Haggerty, and L. M. Milstone, “Growth and differentiation regulate CD44 expression on human keratinocytes,” In vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 228–235, 1999.
- M. B. Yaffe, H. Beegen, and R. L. Eckert, “Biophysical characterization of involucrin reveals a molecule ideally suited to function as an intermolecular cross-bridge of the keratinocyte cornified envelope,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 267, no. 17, pp. 12233–12238, 1992.
- A. M. Deters, K. R. Schröder, and A. Hensel, “Kiwi fruit (Actinidia chinensis L.) polysaccharides exert stimulating effects on cell proliferation via enhanced growth factor receptors, energy production, and collagen synthesis of human keratinocytes, fibroblasts, and skin equivalents,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 202, no. 3, pp. 717–722, 2005.
- M. Monsigny, C. Petit, and A. C. Roche, “Colorimetric determination of neutral sugars by a resorcinol sulfuric acid micromethod,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 175, no. 2, pp. 525–530, 1988.
- N. Blumenkrantz and G. Asboe Hansen, “New method for quantitative determination of uronic acids,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 484–489, 1973.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- G. J. Van Holst and A. E. Clarke, “Quantification of arabinogalactan-protein in plant extracts by single radial gel diffusion,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 148, no. 2, pp. 446–450, 1985.
- S. I. Hakomori, “A rapid permethylation of glycolipid, and polysaccharide catalyzed by methylsulfinyl carbanion in dimethyl sulfoxide,” Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 205–208, 1964.
- P. J. Harris, R. J. Henry, A. B. Blakeney, and B. A. Stone, “An improved procedure for the methylation analysis of oligosaccharides and polysaccharides,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 59–73, 1984.
- R. L. Taylor and H. E. Conrad, “Stoichiometric depolymerization of polyuronides and glycosaminoglycuronans to monosaccharides following reduction of their carbodiimide-activated carboxyl groups,” Biochemistry, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 1383–1388, 1972.
- C. R. Noe and J. Freissmuth, “Capillary zone electrophoresis of aldose enantiomers: separation after derivatization with S-(−)-1-phenylethylamine,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 704, no. 2, pp. 503–512, 1995.
- K. Gescher and A. M. Deters, “Typha latifolia L. fruit polysaccharides induce the differentiation and stimulate the proliferation of human keratinocytes in vitro,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 137, pp. 352–358, 2011.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- J. M. Davidson, P. A. LuValle, O. Zoia, D. Quaglino Jr., and M. Giro, “Ascorbate differentially regulates elastin and collagen biosynthesis in vascular smooth muscle cells and skin fibroblasts by pretranslational mechanisms,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 272, no. 1, pp. 345–352, 1997.
- D. Reis, B. Vian, D. Darzens, and J. C. Roland, “Sequential patterns of intramural digestion of galactoxyloglucan in tamarind seedlings,” Planta, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 60–73, 1987.
- D. Mohnen, “Pectin structure and biosynthesis,” Current Opinion in Plant Biology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 266–277, 2008.
- B. S. Paulsen and H. Barsett, “Bioactive pectic polysaccharides,” Advances in Polymer Science, vol. 186, pp. 69–101, 2005.
- G. J. Seifert and K. Roberts, “The biology of arabinogalactan proteins,” Annual Review of Plant Biology, vol. 58, pp. 137–161, 2007.
- J. Zippel, A. Deters, D. Pappai, and A. Hensel, “A high molecular arabinogalactan from Ribes nigrum L.: influence on cell physiology of human skin fibroblasts and keratinocytes and internalization into cells via endosomal transport,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 344, no. 8, pp. 1001–1008, 2009.
- S. Getsios, C. L. Simpson, S. I. Kojima et al., “Desmoglein 1-dependent suppression of EGFR signaling promotes epidermal differentiation and morphogenesis,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 185, no. 7, pp. 1243–1258, 2009.
- B. Westereng, T. E. Michaelsen, A. B. Samuelsen, and S. H. Knutsen, “Effects of extraction conditions on the chemical structure and biological activity of white cabbage pectin,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 32–42, 2008.
- G. Lemaître, V. Sivan, J. Lamartine et al., “Connexin 30, a new marker of hyperproliferative epidermis,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 155, no. 4, pp. 844–846, 2006.
- T. P. Yamaguchi and J. Rossant, “Fibroblast growth factors in mammalian development,” Current Opinion in Genetics and Development, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 485–491, 1995.
- A. Balsalobre, F. Damiola, and U. Schibler, “A serum shock induces circadian gene expression in mammalian tissue culture cells,” Cell, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 929–937, 1998.