- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Pharmacological Sciences
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 376429, 11 pages
Methanolic Root Extract of Rauwolfia serpentina Benth Improves the Glycemic, Antiatherogenic, and Cardioprotective Indices in Alloxan-Induced Diabetic Mice
1Department of Biochemistry, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
2Quality Enhancement Cell, Dow University of Health Sciences, Karachi 74200, Pakistan
Received 20 July 2012; Revised 25 October 2012; Accepted 26 October 2012
Academic Editor: Owen L. Woodman
Copyright © 2012 Muhammad Bilal Azmi and Shamim A. Qureshi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. E. Shaw, R. A. Sicree, and P. Z. Zimmet, “Global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2010 and 2030,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 4–14, 2010.
- Z. A. Shaikh, M. Z. Shaikh, and G. Ali, “Diabetic patients, awareness about life style modifications,” Professional Medical Journal, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 265–268, 2011.
- H. P. Rang, M. M. Dale, J. M. Ritter, and P. K. Moore, “The Endocrine Pancreas and the control of blood glucose,” in Pharmacology, J. G. Hardman and L. E. Limbird, Eds., p. 385, Churchill Livingstone, New York, NY, USA, 5th edition, 2003.
- S. Tiwari, “Plant: a rich source of herbal medicine,” Journal of Natural Product, vol. 1, pp. 27–35, 2008.
- N. Aggarwal and Shishu, “A review of recent investigations on medicinal herbs possessing anti-diabetic properties,” Journal of Nutrition Disorder Therapy, vol. 1, no. 1, p. 102, 2011.
- D. Pitchai, R. Manikkam, S. R. Rajendran, and G. Pitchai, “Database on pharmacophore analysis of active principles, from medicinal plants,” Bioinformation, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 43–45, 2010.
- L. W. Singh, “Traditional medicinal plants of Manipur as anti-diabetics,” Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 677–687, 2011.
- S. A. Qureshi and S. K. Udani, “Hypolipidaemic activity of Rauwolfia serpentina Benth,” Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 1103–1106, 2009.
- N. H. Mashour, G. I. Lin, and W. H. Frishman, “Herbal medicine for the treatment of cardiovascular disease: clinical considerations,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 158, no. 20, pp. 2225–2234, 1998.
- R. Harisaranraj, K. Suresh, S. Saravana Babu, and V. Vaira Achundahan, “Phytochemical based strategies for pathogen control and antioxidant capacities of Rauwolfia serpentina extracts,” Recent Research Science Technology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 67–78, 2009.
- A. Dey and J. N. De, “Ethnobotanical aspects of Rauwolfia serpentina (L). Benth. ex Kurz. in India, Nepal and Bangladesh,” Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 144–150, 2011.
- A. Itoh, T. Kumashiro, M. Yamaguchi et al., “Indole alkaloids and other constituents of Rauwolfia serpentina,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 848–852, 2005.
- J. L. Stanford, E. J. Martin, L. A. Brinton, and R. N. Hoover, “Rauwolfia use and breast cancer: a case-control study,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 817–822, 1986.
- R. J. Vakil, “Rauwolfia serpentina in the treatment of high blood pressure; a review of the literature,” Circulation, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 220–229, 1955.
- L. Cazzaroli and D. Dall'Oglio, “Effect of Rauwolfia serpentina on the glycemic curve of the glucose tolerance in normal subject and diabetics,” Progresso Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 52–56, 1958.
- A. S. Cohen, N. S. Stearns, H. Levitin, and D. Hurwitz, “Studies on Rauwolfia alkaloids in diabetic hypertensive patients,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 51, pp. 238–247, 1959.
- M. L. Chatterjee, M. S. De, and D. Setb, “Effect of different fractions of Rauwolfia serpentina alkaloids on blood sugar levels in anaesthetized cats,” Bulletin of the Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine, vol. 8, pp. 152–153, 1960.
- S. A. Qureshi, A. Nawaz, S. K. Udani, and B. Azmi, “Hypoglycaemic and hypolipidemic activities of Rauwolfia serpentina in alloxan-induced diabetic rats,” International Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 323–326, 2009.
- M. B. Azmi and S. A. Qureshi, “Methanolic root extract of Rauwolfia serpentina Benth improves the glucose tolerance in Wister mice,” Journal of Food Drug Analysis, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 54–58, 2012.
- K. S. Chandrashekar, H. Vignesh, and K. S. Prasanna, “Phytochemical studies of Stem Bark of Michelia Champaca Linn,” International Research Journal of Pharmacy, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 243–246, 2010.
- H. O. Edeoga, D. E. Okwu, and B. O. Mbaebie, “Phytochemical constituents of some Nigerian medicinal plants,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 685–688, 2005.
- S. Shanmugam, T. S. Kumar, and K. P. Selvam, Laboratory Handbook on Biochemistry, PHI Learning Private Limited, New Delhi, India, 2010.
- J. B. Harborne, Phytochemical Methods, Chapman and Hall, London, UK, 1973.
- B. A. Boham and A. R. Kocipai, “Flavonoids and condensed tannins from leaves of Hawaiian vaccinium vaticulatum and V. calycinium,” Pacific Science, vol. 48, pp. 458–463, 1974.
- B. O. Obdoni and P. O. Ochuko, “Phytochemicals studies and comparative efficacy of the crude extracts of the some Homostatic plants in Edo and Delta States of Nigeria,” Global Journal of Pure Applied Science, vol. 8, pp. 203–208, 2001.
- M. Sengul, H. Yildiz, N. Gungor, B. Cetin, Z. Eser, and S. Ercisli, “Total phenolic content, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of some medicinal plants,” Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 102–106, 2009.
- A. B. Saba, A. A. Oyagbemi, and O. I. Azeez, “Antidiabetic and haematinic effects of Parquetina nigrescens on alloxan induced type-1 diabetes and normocytic normochromic anaemia in Wistar rats,” African Health Sciences, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 276–282, 2010.
- M. Perfumi and R. Tacconi, “Antihyperglycemic effect of fresh Opuntia dillenii fruit from Tenerife (Canary Islands),” International Journal of Pharmacognosy, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 41–47, 1996.
- W. T. Friedewald, R. I. Levy, and D. S. Fredrickson, “Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 499–502, 1972.
- J. Folch, M. Lees, and G. H. S. Stanley, “A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 226, no. 1, pp. 497–509, 1956.
- M. Dubois, K. A. Gilles, J. K. Hamilton, P. A. Rebers, and F. Smith, “Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 350–358, 1956.
- A. M. M. Jalil, A. Ismail, P. P. Chong, M. Hamid, and S. H. S. Kamaruddin, “Effects of cocoa extract containing polyphenols and methylxanthines on biochemical parameters of obese-diabetic rats,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 130–137, 2009.
- P. Barter, A. M. Gotto, J. C. LaRosa et al., “HDL cholesterol, very low levels of LDL cholesterol, and cardiovascular events,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 13, pp. 1301–1310, 2007.
- H. T. Kang, J. K. Kim, J. Y. Kim, J. A. Linton, J. H. Yoon, and S. B. Koh, “Independent association of TG/ HDL-c with urinary albumin excretion in normotensive subjects in a rural Korean population,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 413, pp. 319–324, 2012.
- M. A. Waqar and Y. Mahmmod, “Anti- Platelet, Anti- hypercholesterolemia and anti-oxidant effects of Ethanolic extract of Brassica oleracea in high fat diet provided rats,” World Applied Sciences Journal, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 107–112, 2010.
- A. A. Adeneye and J. A. Olagunju, “Preliminary hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic activities of the aqueous seed extract of Carica papaya Linn. in Wistar rats,” Biology and Medicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2009.
- P. K. Prabhakar and M. Doble, “Mechanism of action of natural products used in the treatment of diabetes mellitus,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 563–574, 2011.
- A. A. Adeneye, T. I. Adeleke, and A. K. Adeneye, “Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of the aqueous fresh leaves extract of Clerodendrum capitatum in Wistar rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 7–10, 2008.
- J. E. Sun, Z. H. Ao, Z. M. Lu et al., “Antihyperglycemic and antilipidperoxidative effects of dry matter of culture broth of Inonotus obliquus in submerged culture on normal and alloxan-diabetes mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 7–13, 2008.
- M. L. Bishop, E. P. Fody, and L. Schoeff, Clinical Chemistry: Principles, Procedures, Correlations, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 6th edition, 2010.
- S. D. Wolfsthal, R. Manno, and E. Fontanilla, “Emergencies in diabetic patients in the primary care setting,” Primary Care, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 711–725, 2006.
- R. A. Silverman, U. Thakker, T. Ellman et al., “Hemoglobin A1c as a screen for previously undiagnosed prediabetes and diabetes in an acute-care setting,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1908–1912, 2011.
- M. C. Thomas, R. J. MacIsaac, C. Tsalamandris, D. Power, and G. Jerums, “Unrecognized anemia in patients with diabetes: a cross-sectional survey,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1164–1169, 2003.
- S. A. Qureshi, M. Kamran, M. Asad, A. Zia, T. Lateef, and M. B. Azmi, “A preliminary study of Santalum album on serum lipids and enzymes,” Global Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 71–74, 2010.
- P. O. Kwiterovich, “The metabolic pathways of high-density lipoprotein, low-density lipoprotein, and triglycerides: a current review,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 86, no. 12, pp. 5–10, 2000.
- A. Aissaoui, S. Zizi, Z. H. Israili, and B. Lyoussi, “Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of Coriandrum sativum L. in Meriones shawi rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 652–661, 2011.
- D. L. Nelson and M. M. L. Cox, Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry, W.H. Freeman and Company, New York, NY, USA, 5th edition, 2008.
- J. M. Gaziano, C. H. Hennekens, C. J. O'Donnell, J. L. Breslow, and J. E. Buring, “Fasting triglycerides, high-density lipoprotein, and risk of myocardial infarction,” Circulation, vol. 96, no. 8, pp. 2520–2525, 1997.
- T. Marotta, B. F. Russo, and L. A. Ferrara, “Triglyceride-to-HDL-cholesterol ratio and metabolic syndrome as contributors to cardiovascular risk in overweight patients,” Obesity, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1608–1613, 2010.
- K. Kaku, Y. Inoue, and T. Kaneko, “Extrapancreatic effects of sulfonylurea drugs,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 28, pp. S105–S108, 1995.
- S. Rigazio, H. R. Lehto, H. Tuunanen et al., “The lowering of hepatic fatty acid uptake improves liver function and insulin sensitivity without affecting hepatic fat content in humans,” American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 295, no. 2, pp. E413–E419, 2008.
- D. W. Moss and A. R. Henderson, “Enzymes,” in Tietz Fundamental of Clinical Chemistry, C. A. Burtis and E. R. Ashwood, Eds., WB Sunders Company, 4th edition, 1996.
- S. Reitman and S. Frankel, “A colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutamic oxalacetic and glutamic pyruvic transaminases,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 1957.