- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Pharmacological Sciences
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 708178, 5 pages
Effect of a CNS-Sensitive Anticholinesterase Methane Sulfonyl Fluoride on Hippocampal Acetylcholine Release in Freely Moving Rats
1Department of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Agriculture, Iwate University, Ueda, Morioka 020-8550, Japan
2Department of Food Safety, Pharmaceutical and Medical Safety Bureau, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda, Tokyo 100-8916, Japan
3Department of Environmental and Occupational Medicine, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 170 Frelinghuysen Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
4Sciences of Cryobiosystems, United Graduate School of Agricultural Sciences of Iwate University, Ueda, Morioka 020-8550, Japan
57-272 Aza-Mukaishinden, Ukai, Takizawa-mura, Iwate-gun, Iwate Prefecture 020-0172, Japan
Received 30 August 2011; Revised 25 October 2011; Accepted 25 October 2011
Academic Editor: Karim A. Alkadhi
Copyright © 2012 Tamotsu Imanishi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Braak and E. Braak, “Neuropathological stageing of Alzheimer-related changes,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 239–259, 1991.
- D. R. Thal, U. Rüb, M. Orantes, and H. Braak, “Phases of Aβ-deposition in the human brain and its relevance for the development of AD,” Neurology, vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 1791–1800, 2002.
- P. E. Potter, “Investigational medications for treatment of patients with Alzheimer disease,” Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, vol. 110, supplement 8, pp. S27–S36, 2010.
- D. W. Ethell, “An amyloid-notch hypothesis for Alzheimer's disease,” Neuroscientist, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 614–617, 2010.
- P. Davies and A. J. F. Maloney, “Selective loss of central cholinergic neurons in Alzheimer's disease,” The Lancet, vol. 2, no. 8000, p. 1403, 1976.
- E. J. Mufson, A. D. Kehr, B. H. Wainer, and M. M. Mesulam, “Cortical effects of neurotoxic damage to the nucleus basalis in rats: persistent loss of extrinsic cholinergic input and lack of transsynaptic effect upon the number of somatostatin-containing, cholinesterase-positive, and cholinergic cortical neurons,” Brain Research, vol. 417, no. 2, pp. 385–388, 1987.
- P. J. Whitehouse, D. L. Price, A. W. Clark, J. T. Coyle, and M. R. DeLong, “Alzheimer disease: evidence for selective loss of cholinergic neurons in the nucleus basalis,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 122–126, 1981.
- Y. Q. Liang and X. C. Tang, “Comparative studies of huperzine A, donepezil, and rivastigmine on brain acetylcholine, dopamine, norepinephrine, and 5-hydroxytryptamine levels in freely-moving rats,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1127–1136, 2006.
- H. Sugimoto, H. Ogura, Y. Arai, Y. Iimura, and Y. Yamanishi, “Research and development of donepezil hydrochloride, a new type of acetylcholinesterase inhibitor,” Japanese Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 7–20, 2002.
- M. Rosini, E. Simoni, M. Bartolini et al., “Inhibition of acetylcholinesterase, β-amyloid aggregation, and NMDA receptors in Alzheimer's disease: a promising direction for the multi-target-directed ligands gold rush,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 15, pp. 4381–4384, 2008.
- H. Sugimoto, “The new approach in development of anti-Alzheimer's disease drugs via the cholinergic hypothesis,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 175, no. 1–3, pp. 204–208, 2008.
- D. E. Moss, H. Kobayashi, G. Pacheco, R. Paracios, and R. G. Perez, “Methanesulfonyl fluoride: a CNS selective inhibitor,” in Current Research in Alzheimer Theory: Cholinesterase Inhibitors, E. Giacobini and R. Becher, Eds., pp. 305–314, Taylor and Francis, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- G. Pacheco, R. Palacios-Esquivel, and D. E. Moss, “Cholinesterase inhibitors proposed for treating dementia in Alzheimer's disease: selectivity toward human brain acetylcholinesterase compared with butyrylcholinesterase,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 274, no. 2, pp. 767–770, 1995.
- D. E. Moss, P. Berlanga, M. M. Hagan, H. Sandoval, and C. Ishida, “Methanesulfonyl fluoride (MSF): a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy in the treatment of senile dementia of the Alzheimer type,” Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 20–25, 1999.
- M. M. Hossain, T. Suzuki, I. Sato, T. Takewaki, K. Suzuki, and H. Kobayashi, “The modulatory effect of pyrethroids on acetylcholine release in the hippocampus of freely moving rats,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 825–833, 2004.
- G. L. Ellman, K. D. Courtney, V. Andres, and R. M. Featherstone, “A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 88–95, 1961.
- H. Kobayashi, T. Nakano, D. E. Moss, and T. Suzuki, “Effects of a central anticholinesterase, methanesulfonyl fluoride on the cerebral cholinergic system and behavior in mice: comparison with an organophosphate DDVP,” Journal of Health Science, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 191–202, 1999.
- K. Isomae, M. Ishikawa, M. Ohta et al., “Effects of T-82, a new quinoline derivative, on cholinesterase activity and extracellular acetylcholine concentration in rat brain,” Japanese Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 206–212, 2002.
- T. Kosasa, Y. Kuriya, and Y. Yamanishi, “Effect of donepezil hydrochloride (E2020) on extracellular acetylcholine concentration in the cerebral cortex of rats,” Japanese Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 216–222, 1999.
- E. Shearman, S. Rossi, B. Szasz et al., “Changes in cerebral neurotransmitters and metabolites induced by acute donepezil and memantine administrations: a microdialysis study,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 204–213, 2006.
- K. Takashina, T. Bessho, R. Mori, J. Eguchi, and K. I. Saito, “MKC-231, a choline uptake enhancer: (2) Effect on synthesis and release of acetylcholine in AF64A-treated rats,” Journal of Neural Transmission, vol. 115, no. 7, pp. 1027–1035, 2008.
- K. Yano, K. Koda, Y. Ago et al., “Galantamine improves apomorphine-induced deficits in prepulse inhibition via muscarinic ACh receptors in mice,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 173–180, 2009.
- M. Živin and P. Pregelj, “Prolonged treatment with donepezil increases acetylcholinesterase expression in the central nervous system,” Psychiatria Danubina, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 168–173, 2008.