- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Pharmacological Sciences
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 789796, 6 pages
Chronic Administration of a Combination of Six Herbs Inhibits the Progression of Hyperglycemia and Decreases Serum Lipids and Aspartate Amino Transferase Activity in Diabetic Rats
1Pharmacological Research Center of Medicinal Plants, School of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad 9177948564, Iran
2Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad 9177948564, Iran
Received 31 July 2012; Revised 15 October 2012; Accepted 29 October 2012
Academic Editor: Owen L. Woodman
Copyright © 2012 Reza Shafiee-Nick et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. D. Deshpande, M. Harris-Hayes, and M. Schootman, “Epidemiology of diabetes and diabetes-related complications,” Physical Therapy, vol. 88, no. 11, pp. 1254–1264, 2008.
- I. Tzoulaki, M. Molokhia, V. Curcin et al., “Risk of cardiovascular disease and all cause mortality among patients with type 2 diabetes prescribed oral antidiabetes drugs: retrospective cohort study using UK general practice research database,” British Medical Journal, vol. 339, p. b4731, 2009.
- B. Lorenzati, C. Zucco, S. Miglietta, F. Lamberti, and G. Bruno, “Oral hypoglycemic drugs: pathophysiological basis of their mechanism of action,” Pharmaceuticals, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 3005–3020, 2010.
- H. Hui, G. Tang, and V. L. W. Go, “Hypoglycemic herbs and their action mechanisms,” Chinese Medicine, vol. 4, no. 1, article 11, 2009.
- M. Modak, P. Dixit, J. Londhe, S. Ghaskadbi, and T. P. A. Devasagayam, “Indian herbs and herbal drugs used for the treatment of diabetes,” Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 163–173, 2007.
- A. Ghorbani and H. Rakhshandeh, The Most Effective Herbs for Diabetes, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran, 2012.
- S. Hasani-Ranjbar, B. Larijani, and M. Abdollah, “A systematic review of iranian medicinal plants useful in diabetes mellitus,” Archives of Medical Science, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 285–292, 2008.
- A. Eidi, M. Eidi, and E. Esmaeili, “Antidiabetic effect of garlic (Allium sativum L.) in normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Phytomedicine, vol. 13, no. 9-10, pp. 624–629, 2006.
- F. M. El-Demerdash, M. I. Yousef, and N. I. Abou El-Naga, “Biochemical study on the hypoglycemic effects of onion and garlic in alloxan-induced diabetic rats,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 2005.
- B. Mang, M. Wolters, B. Schmitt et al., “Effects of a cinnamon extract on plasma glucose, HbA1c, and serum lipids in diabetes mellitus type 2,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 340–344, 2006.
- S. A. Hassan, R. Barthwal, M. S. Nair, and S. S. Haque, “Aqueous bark extract of Cinnamomum Zeylanicum: a potential therapeutic agent for streptozotocin-induced type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) rats,” Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 429–435, 2012.
- M. Kaleem, D. Kirmani, M. Asif, Q. Ahmed, and B. Bano, “Biochemical effects of Nigella sativa L seeds in diabetic rats,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 745–748, 2006.
- I. Meral, Z. Yener, T. Kahraman, and N. Mert, “Effect of Nigella sativa on glucose concentration, lipid peroxidation, anti-oxidant defence system and liver damage in experimentally-induced diabetic rabbits,” Journal of Veterinary Medicine A, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 593–599, 2001.
- A. Esmaillzadeh, F. Tahbaz, I. Gaieni, H. Alavi-Majd, and L. Azadbakht, “Cholesterol-lowering effect of concentrated pomegranate juice consumption in type II diabetic patients with hyperlipidemia,” International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 147–151, 2006.
- M. A. Jafri, M. Aslam, K. Javed, and S. Singh, “Effect of Punica granatum Linn. (flowers) on blood glucose level in normal and alloxan-induced diabetic rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 309–314, 2000.
- A. Eidi and M. Eidi, “Antidiabetic effects of sage (Salvia officinalis L.) leaves in normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 40–44, 2009.
- M. R. Shahraki, M. R. Arab, E. Mirimokaddam, and M. J. Palan, “The effect of Teucrium polium (Calpoureh) on liver function, serum lipids and glucose in diabetic male rats,” Iranian Biomedical Journal, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 65–68, 2007.
- F. Karimi, S. Abbasi, and A. R. Bateni, “The effect of Teucrium polium on blood glucose in diabetes mellitus type 2; a comparison with glibenclamide,” Iranian South Medical Journal, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 96–103, 2002.
- S. M. Mortazavian and A. Ghorbani, “Antiproliferative effect of Viola tricolor on neuroblastoma cells in vitro,” Australian Journal of Medicinal Herbalism, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 93–96, 2012.
- A. Ghorbani, N. J. Youssofabad, and H. Rakhshandeh, “Effect of Viola tricolor on pentobarbital-induced sleep in mice,” African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 6, no. 33, pp. 2503–2509, 2012.
- A. Ghorbani, M. Varedi, M. A. R. Hadjzadeh, and G. H. Omrani, “Type-1 diabetes induces depot-specific alterations in adipocyte diameter and mass of adipose tissues in the rat,” Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes, vol. 118, no. 7, pp. 442–448, 2010.
- A. Ghorbani, G. H. Omrani, M. R. Hadjzadeh, and M. Varedi, “Proinsulin C-peptide inhibits lipolysis in diabetic rat adipose tissue through phosphodiestrase-3B enzyme,” Hormone and Metabolic Research. In press.
- K. R. Shanmugasundaram, C. Panneerselvam, P. Samudram, and E. R. B. Shanmugasundaram, “The insulinotropic activity of Gymnema sylvestre, R. Br. an Indian medical herb used in controlling diabetes mellitus,” Pharmacological Research Communications, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 475–486, 1981.
- A. M. Gray and P. R. Flatt, “Insulin-releasing and insulin-like activity of the traditional anti-diabetic plant Coriandrum sativum (coriander),” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 203–209, 1999.
- L. Pari and C. Sankaranarayanan, “Beneficial effects of thymoquinone on hepatic key enzymes in streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced diabetic rats,” Life Sciences, vol. 85, no. 23–26, pp. 830–834, 2009.
- K. M. Fararh, Y. Atoji, Y. Shimizu, and T. Takewaki, “Isulinotropic properties of Nigella sativa oil in Streptozotocin plus Nicotinamide diabetic hamster,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 279–282, 2002.
- C. F. Lima, M. F. Azevedo, R. Araujo, M. Fernandes-Ferreira, and C. Pereira-Wilson, “Metformin-like effect of Salvia officinalis (common sage): is it useful in diabetes prevention?” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 326–333, 2006.
- M. Vessal, F. Zal, and M. Vasei, “Effects of Teucrium polium on oral glucose tolerance test, regeneration of pancreatic islets and activity of hepatic glucokinase in diabetic rats,” Archives of Iranian Medicine, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 35–39, 2003.
- J. Patel, “Diabetes: managing dyslipidaemia,” Clinical Evidence, vol. 2008, p. 0610, 2008.
- P. Arner, “Human fat cell lipolysis: biochemistry, regulation and clinical role,” Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 471–482, 2005.
- R. K. Schindhelm, M. Diamant, J. M. Dekker, M. E. Tushuizen, T. Teerlink, and R. J. Heine, “Alanine aminotransferase as a marker of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in relation to type 2 diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 437–443, 2006.
- B. Vozarova, N. Stefan, R. S. Lindsay et al., “High alanine aminotransferase is associated with decreased hepatic insulin sensitivity and predicts the development of type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1889–1895, 2002.
- L. A. Adams, S. Harmsen, J. L. S. Sauver et al., “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease increases risk of death among patients with diabetes: a community-based cohort study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 105, no. 7, pp. 1567–1573, 2010.
- S. Shtukmaster, P. Ljubuncic, and A. Bomzon, “The effect of an aqueous extract of Teucrium polium on glutathione homeostasis in vitro: a possible mechanism of its hepatoprotectant action,” Advances in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 2010, Article ID 938324, 7 pages, 2010.