- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Pharmacological Sciences
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 912041, 8 pages
Anxiolytic and Antidepressant-Like Effects of the Aqueous Extract of Alafia multiflora Stem Barks in Rodents
1Department of Agriculture, Livestock and By-Products, The Higher Institute of the Sahel, University of Maroua, P.O. Box 46, Maroua, Cameroon
2Department of Life and Earth Sciences, Higher Teachers’ Training College, University of Maroua, P.O. Box 55, Maroua, Cameroon
3Department of Biology, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Bou/evard Carol I 11, 700506 Iasi, Romania
Received 15 July 2012; Accepted 7 September 2012
Academic Editor: Alison Oliveto
Copyright © 2012 Harquin Simplice Foyet et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Dang, L. Sun, X. Liu et al., “Preventive action of Kai Xin San aqueous extract on depressive-like symptoms and cognition deficit induced by chronic mild stress,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 234, no. 7, pp. 785–793, 2009.
- S. A. Onasanwo, M. Chatterjee, and G. Palit, “Antidepressant and anxiolytic potentials of dichloromethane fraction from Hedranthera barteri,” African Journal of Biomedical Research, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 76–81, 2010.
- D. L. Evans, D. S. Charney, L. Lewis et al., “Mood disorders in the medically ill: scientific review and recommendations,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 175–189, 2005.
- D. P. Figgitt and K. J. McClellan, “Fluvoxamine: an updated review of its use in the management of adults with anxiety disorders,” Drugs, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 925–954, 2000.
- Y. Sugimoto, S. Furutani, K. Nishimura et al., “Antidepressant-like effects of neferine in the forced swimming test involve the serotonin1A (5-HT1A) receptor in mice,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 634, no. 1–3, pp. 62–67, 2010.
- C. C. Barua, J. D. Roy, B. Buragohain, A. G. Barua, P. Borah, and M. Lahkar, “Anxiolytic effect of hydroethanolic extract of Drymaria cordata L Willd,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 969–973, 2009.
- P. M. Galdino, M. V. M. Nascimento, B. L. Sampaio, R. N. Ferreira, J. R. Paula, and E. A. Costa, “Antidepressant-like effect of Lafoensia pacari A. St.-Hil. ethanolic extract and fractions in mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 581–585, 2009.
- D. E. Tsala, B. V. Penlab, N. Nga, N. J. Mendimi, K. Jonas, and D. Théophile, “Protective activity of the stem bark methanol extract of Alafia multiflora against Carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in rats,” International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 157–163, 2010.
- D. E. Tsala, D. Theophile, N. Judith et al., “Screening of Alafia multiflora for antibacterial, antiradical activity and LD50 investigation,” International Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 327–333, 2007.
- G. A. R. Johnston, J. R. Hanrahan, M. Chebib, R. K. Duke, and K. N. Mewett, “Modulation of ionotropic GABA receptors by natural products of plant origin,” Advances in Pharmacology, vol. 54, pp. 285–316, 2006.
- N. Carrey, M. P. McFadyen, and R. E. Brown, “Effects of subchronic methylphenidate hydrochloride administration on the locomotor and exploratory behavior of prepubertal mice,” Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 277–286, 2000.
- H. S. Foyet, L. Hritcu, A. Ciobica, M. Stefan, P. Kamtchouing, and D. Cojocaru, “Methanolic extract of Hibiscus asper leaves improves spatial memory deficits in the 6-hydroxydopamine-lesion rodent model of Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 773–779, 2011.
- O. O. Adeyemi, A. J. Akindele, O. K. Yemitan, F. R. Aigbe, and F. I. Fagbo, “Anticonvulsant, anxiolytic and sedative activities of the aqueous root extract of Securidaca longepedunculata Fresen,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 191–195, 2010.
- P. Van Meer and J. Raber, “Mouse behavioural analysis in systems biology,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 389, no. 3, pp. 593–610, 2005.
- Z. H. Gong, Y. F. Li, N. Zhao et al., “Anxiolytic effect of agmatine in rats and mice,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 550, no. 1–3, pp. 112–116, 2006.
- J. A. Bouwknecht and R. Paylor, “Behavioral and physiological mouse assays for anxiety: a survey in nine mouse strains,” Behavioural Brain Research, vol. 136, no. 2, pp. 489–501, 2002.
- M. Bourin and M. Hascoët, “The mouse light/dark box test,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 463, no. 1–3, pp. 55–65, 2003.
- J. F. Cryan, A. Markou, and I. Lucki, “Assessing antidepressant activity in rodents: recent developments and future needs,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 238–245, 2002.
- G. Ulak, O. Mutlu, F. Y. Akar, F. I. Komsuoǧlu, P. Tanyeri, and B. F. Erden, “Neuronal NOS inhibitor 1-(2-trifluoromethylphenyl)-imidazole augment the effects of antidepressants acting via serotonergic system in the forced swimming test in rats,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 563–568, 2008.
- G. H. Vogel, Drug Discovery and Evaluation, Pharmacological Assays, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2nd edition, 2002.
- X. Y. Wei, J. Y. Yang, J. H. Wang, and C. F. Wu, “Anxiolytic effect of saponins from Panax quinquefolium in mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 613–618, 2007.
- H. S. Yu, S. Y. Lee, and C. G. Jang, “Involvement of 5-H and GAB receptors in the anxiolytic-like effects of Cinnamomum cassia in mice,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 164–170, 2007.
- G. Gobbi and P. Blier, “Effect of neurokinin-1 receptor antagonists on serotoninergic, noradrenergic and hippocampal neurons: comparison with antidepressant drugs,” Peptides, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1383–1393, 2005.
- V. K. Sharma, N. S. Chauhan, S. Lodhi, and A. K. Singhai, “Anti-depressant activity of Zizyphus xylopyrus,” International Journal of Phytomedicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 12–17, 2009.
- M. C. Hellión-Ibarrola, D. A. Ibarrola, Y. Montalbetti et al., “The antidepressant-like effects of Aloysia polystachya (Griseb.) Moldenke (Verbenaceae) in mice,” Phytomedicine, vol. 15, no. 6-7, pp. 478–483, 2008.
- S. Mora, G. Diaz-Veliz, H. Lungenstrass et al., “Central nervous system activity of the hydroalcoholic extract of Casimiroa edulis in rats and mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 191–197, 2005.
- J. F. Cryan and I. Lucki, “Antidepressant-like behavioral effects mediated by 5-hydroxytryptamine(2C) receptors,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 295, no. 3, pp. 1120–1126, 2000.
- P. Kahnberg, E. Lager, C. Rosenberg et al., “Refinement and evaluation of a pharmacophore model for flavone derivatives binding to the benzodiazepine site of the GAB receptor,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 45, no. 19, pp. 4188–4201, 2002.
- C. Wasowski, L. Gavernet, I. A. Barrios et al., “N, N-dicyclohexylsulfamide and N, N-diphenethylsulfamide are anticonvulsant sulfamides with affinity for the benzodiazepine binding site of the GAB receptor and anxiolytic activity in mice,” Biochemistry and Pharmacology, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 253–259, 2012.
- R. Estrada-Reyes, M. Martínez-Vázquez, A. Gallegos-Solís, G. Heinze, and J. Moreno, “Depressant effects of Clinopodium mexicanum Benth. Govaerts (Lamiaceae) on the central nervous system,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2010.
- K. E. Heim, A. R. Tagliaferro, and D. J. Bobilya, “Flavonoid antioxidants: chemistry, metabolism and structure-activity relationships,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 572–584, 2002.
- J. F. Cryan, R. J. Valentino, and I. Lucki, “Assessing substrates underlying the behavioral effects of antidepressants using the modified rat forced swimming test,” Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, vol. 29, no. 4-5, pp. 547–569, 2005.
- M. Bourin, B. Petit-Demoulière, B. Nic Dhonnchadha, and M. Hascöet, “Animal models of anxiety in mice,” Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 567–574, 2007.