- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Pharmacological Sciences
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 150401, 4 pages
Evaluation of Antidiabetic Activity of Hydroalcoholic Extract of Cestrum nocturnum Leaves in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats
Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra 136119, India
Received 30 March 2013; Accepted 18 August 2013
Academic Editor: Steven Holladay
Copyright © 2013 Anil Kamboj et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. O. Ojewole, “Analgesic, anti-inflammatory and hypoglycaemic effects of Rhus chirindensis (Baker F.) [Anacardiaceae] stem-bark aqueous extract in mice and rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 338–345, 2007.
- W. C. Evans, Trease and Evans Pharmacognosy, WB Saunders, London, UK, 14th edition, 1996.
- American Diabetes Association, “Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetic Care, vol. 30, supplement 1, pp. s42–s46, 2007.
- A. F. Amos, D. J. McCarty, and P. Zimmet, “The rising global burden of diabetes and its complications: estimates and projections to the year 2010,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 14, supplement 5, pp. S1–S85, 1997.
- P. McCarty and P. Zimmet, “Diabetes 1994–2010 global estimate and projection,” Diabetic Care, vol. 20, p. 1785, 1997.
- W. Y. Almawi, H. Tamim, and S. T. Azar, “T helper type 1 and 2 cytokines mediate the onset and progression of type I (insulin-dependent) diabetes,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 1497–1502, 1999.
- S. Kumar, V. Kumar, and O. Prakash, “Antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic effects of Dillenia indica (L.) leaves extract,” Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 1–6, 2011.
- S. Kumar, V. Kumar, and O. Prakash, “Antidiabetic, hypolipidemic and histopathological analysis of Dillenia indica (L.) leaves extract on alloxan induced diabetic rats,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 347–352, 2011.
- K. Girija, K. Lakshman, C. Udaya, et al., “Anti-diabetic and anti-cholesterolemic activity of methanol extracts of three species of Amaranthus,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 133–138, 2011.
- W. H. O., “Expert committee on diabetes mellitus,” Technical Report Series 646, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1980.
- B. N. Dhawan, G. K. Patnaik, R. P. Rastogi, et al., “Screening of Indian plants for biological activity: part VI,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 208–219, 1977.
- M. A. Ebrahimzadeh, S. F. Nabavi, and S. M. Nabavi, “Antioxidant activities of methanol extract of Sambucus ebulus L. flower,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 447–450, 2009.
- M. A. Ebrahimzadeh, S. M. Nabavi, S. F. Nabavi, and B. Eslami, “Antioxidant activity of the bulb and aerial parts of Ornithogalum sintenisii L (Liliaceae) at flowering stage,” Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 141–148, 2010.
- D. Ghosh, T. K. Bera, K. Chatterjee, K. M. Ali, and D. De, “Antidiabetic and antioxidative effects of aqueous extract of seed of Psoralea corylifolia (somraji) and seed of Trigonella foenum-graecum L., (methi) in Separate and composite manner in streptozotocin-induced diabetic male Albino rat,” Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 1–10, 2009.
- K. R. Khandelwal, Practical Pharmacognosy, Nirali publication, Pune, India, 18th edition, 2007.
- M. Eidi, A. Eidi, and H. Zamanizadeh, “Effect of Salvia officinalis L. leaves on serum glucose and insulin in healthy and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 310–313, 2005.
- K. Rao, R. Giri, and M. M. Kesavulu, “Herbal medicine in the treatment of diabetes mellitus,” Manphar Vaidhya Patrika, vol. 1, pp. 33–35, 1997.
- B. A. Salau, O. Osilesi, G. O. Idowu, S. Musa, and E. O. Ajani, “Effects of fruits and vegetables on cardiovascular disease risk factors in non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) subjects,” African Journal of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 7, pp. 21–26, 2003.
- S. Kumar, V. Kumar, and O. Prakash, “Antidiabetic, hypolipidemic, and antioxidant activities of Callistemon lanceolatus leaves extract,” Journal of Herbs, Spices and Medicinal Plants, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 144–153, 2011.
- S. Kumar, V. Kumar, and O. Prakash, “Antidiabetic and anti-lipemic effects of Cassia siamea leaves extract in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 871–873, 2010.