- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Pharmacological Sciences
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 194389, 5 pages
Evaluation of Extended Interval Dosing Aminoglycosides in the Morbidly Obese Population
1Department of Pharmacy, Jewish Hospital, 200 Abraham Flexner Way, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
2Department of Pharmacy, Johnson City Medical Center, 400 North State of Franklin Road, Johnson City, TN 37604, USA
3Department of Statistics, West Virginia University, P.O. Box 9190, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
4Department of Pharmacy, West Virginia University Healthcare, 1 Medical Center Drive, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
5Osborn Hematopoietic Malignancy and Transplantation Program, Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Received 23 April 2013; Revised 25 July 2013; Accepted 25 July 2013
Academic Editor: Karim A. Alkadhi
Copyright © 2013 Ashley L. Ross et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- The World Health Organization, “Obesity Fact Sheet,” March 2013, http://www.who.int/topics/obesity/en/.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Adult Obesity Facts,” March 2013, http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html.
- M. P. Pai and D. T. Bearden, “Antimicrobial dosing considerations in obese adult patients: insights from the society of infectious diseases pharmacists,” Pharmacotherapy, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1081–1091, 2007.
- D. Newman, M. H. Scheetz, O. A. Adeyemi et al., “Serum piperacillin/tazobactam pharmacokinetics in a morbidly obese individual,” Annals of Pharmacotherapy, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1734–1739, 2007.
- J. B. Lee, S. Winstead, and A. M. Cook, “Pharmacokinetic alterations in obesity,” Orthopedics, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 984–988, 2006.
- G. Cheymol, “Clinical pharmacokinetics of drugs in obesity—an update,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 103–114, 1993.
- S. Viriyayudhakorn, S. Thitiarchakul, S. Nachaisit, P. C. Ho, and S. Wanwimolruk, “Pharmacokinetics of quinine in obesity,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 425–428, 2000.
- G. Cheymol, “Effects of obesity on pharmacokinetics: implications for drug therapy,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 215–231, 2000.
- M. J. Lind, J. M. Margison, T. Cerny, N. Thatcher, and P. M. Wilkinson, “Prolongation of ifosfamide elimination half-life in obese patients due to altered drug distribution,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 139–142, 1989.
- S. Lotia and M. C. Bellamy, “Anaesthesia and morbid obesity,” Continuing Education in Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Pain, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 151–156, 2008.
- R. A. Blouin, L. A. Bauer, and D. D. Miller, “Vancomycin pharmacokinetics in normal and morbidly obese subjects,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 575–580, 1982.
- I. Sketris, T. Lesar, D. E. Zaske, and R. J. Cipolle, “Effect of obesity on gentamicin pharmacokinetics,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 288–293, 1981.
- D. T. Bearden and K. A. Rodvold, “Dosage adjustments for antibacterials in obese patients: applying clinical pharmacokinetics,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 415–426, 2000.
- B. L. Erstad, “Dosing of medications in morbidly obese patients in the intensive care unit setting,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 18–32, 2004.
- S. N. Schwartz, G. J. Pazin, and J. A. Lyon, “A controlled investigation of the pharmacokinetics of gentamicin and tobramycin in obese subjects,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 499–505, 1978.
- R. A. Blouin and G. W. Warren, “Pharmacokinetic considerations in obesity,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 1999.
- R. Wurtz, G. Itokazu, and K. Rodvold, “Antimicrobial dosing in obese patients,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 112–118, 1997.
- D. J. Rea, J. K. Heimbach, J. P. Grande et al., “Glomerular volume and renal histology in obese and non-obese living kidney donors,” Kidney International, vol. 70, no. 9, pp. 1636–1641, 2006.
- R. J. Bosma, J. A. Krikken, J. J. Homan van der Heide, P. E. De Jong, and G. J. Navis, “Obesity and renal hemodynamics,” Contributions to Nephrology, vol. 151, pp. 184–202, 2006.
- L. A. Bauer, W. A. Drew Edwards, E. Patchen Dellinger, and D. A. Simonowitz, “Influence of weight on aminoglycoside pharmacokinetics in normal weight and morbidly obese patients,” European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 643–647, 1983.
- A. M. Traynor, A. N. Nafziger, and J. S. Bertino Jr., “Aminoglycoside dosing weight correction factors for patients of various body sizes,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 545–548, 1995.
- M. P. Pai, A. N. Nafziger, and J. S. Bertino Jr., “Simplified estimation of aminoglycoside pharmacokinetics in underweight and obese adult patients,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 4006–4011, 2011.
- F. Vincent, N. El-Khoury, E. Rondeau, and A. A. El Solh, “Renal function in critically ill, morbidly obese patients,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 169, no. 12, pp. 1332–1333, 2004.
- S. A. Spinler, “Predictive performance of ten equations for estimating creatinine clearance in cardiac patients,” Annals of Pharmacotherapy, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1275–1283, 1998.
- D. E. Salazar and G. B. Corcoran, “Predicting creatinine clearance and renal drug clearance in obese patients from estimated fat-free body mass,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 1053–1060, 1988.
- R. E. Dionne, L. A. Bauer, G. A. Gibson, W. O. Griffen Jr., and R. A. Blouin, “Estimating creatinine clearance in morbidity obese patients,” American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 841–844, 1981.
- D. P. Nicolau, C. D. Freeman, P. P. Belliveau, C. H. Nightingale, J. W. Ross, and R. Quintiliani, “Experience with a once-daily aminoglycoside program administered to 2,184 adult patients,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 650–655, 1995.
- D. N. Gilbert, B. L. Lee, R. J. Dworkin et al., “A randomized comparison of the safety and efficacy of once-daily gentamicin or thrice-daily gentamicin in combination with ticarcillin-clavulanate,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 182–191, 1998.