- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Pharmacological Sciences
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 483051, 10 pages
Beneficial Effect of Cissus quadrangularis Linn. on Osteopenia Associated with Streptozotocin-Induced Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in Male Wistar Rats
1Department of Anatomy, Melaka Manipal Medical College, Manipal University, Madhav Nagar, Manipal, Karnataka 576104, India
2Department of Pharmacology, Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal University, Manipal, Karnataka 576104, India
3Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine and Medical Sciences, Arabian Gulf University, P.O. Box 26671, Bahrain
4Department of Anatomy, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, Manipal, Karnataka 576104, India
Received 6 January 2014; Revised 3 March 2014; Accepted 3 March 2014; Published 7 April 2014
Academic Editor: Antonio Ferrer-Montiel
Copyright © 2014 Srinivasa Rao Sirasanagandla et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Balkau, M. A. Charles, and E. Eschwege, “Discussion épidémiologique des nouveaux critères de diabète,” Médecine Thérapeutique Endocrinologie & Reproduction, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 229–234, 2000.
- J. V. Santiago, W. H. McAlister, S. K. Ratzan et al., “Decreased cortical thickness and osteopenia in children with diabetes mellitus,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 845–848, 1977.
- M. E. Levin, V. C. Boisseau, and L. V. Avioli, “Effects of diabetes mellitus on bone mass in juvenile and adult onset diabetes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 294, no. 5, pp. 241–245, 1976.
- I. de Leeuw and R. Abs, “Bone mass and bone density in maturity-type diabetics measured by the 125I photon-absorption technique,” Diabetes, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1130–1135, 1977.
- H. Heath III, P. W. Lambert, F. J. Service, and S. B. Arnaud, “Calcium homeostasis in diabetes mellitus,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 462–466, 1979.
- P. McNair, S. Madsbad, C. Christiansen, O. K. Faber, I. Transbol, and C. Binder, “Osteopenia in insulin treated diabetes mellitus. Its relation to age at onset, sex and duration of disease,” Diabetologia, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 87–90, 1978.
- Y. Seino and H. Ishida, “Diabetic osteopenia: pathophysiology and clinical aspects,” Diabetes/Metabolism Reviews, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 21–35, 1995.
- J. Levy, I. Reid, L. Halstad, J. R. Gavin III, and L. V. Avioli, “Abnormal cell calcium concentrations in cultured bone cells obtained from femurs of obese and noninsulin-dependent diabetic rats,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 131–137, 1989.
- L. Cozen, “Does diabetes delay fracture healing?” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 82, pp. 134–140, 1972.
- R. Shires, S. L. Teitelbaum, M. A. Bergfeld, M. D. Fallon, E. Slatopolsky, and L. V. Avioli, “The effect of streptozotocin-induced chronic diabetes mellitus on bone and mineral homeostasis in the rat,” Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 231–240, 1981.
- K. Suzuki, N. Miyakoshi, T. Tsuchida, Y. Kasukawa, K. Sato, and E. Itoi, “Effects of combined treatment of insulin and human parathyroid hormone(1–34) on cancellous bone mass and structure in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Bone, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 108–114, 2003.
- J. J. Tomasek, S. W. Meyers, J. B. Basinger, D. T. Green, and R. L. Shew, “Diabetic and age-related enhancement of collagen-linked fluorescence in cortical bones of rats,” Life Sciences, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 855–861, 1994.
- J. Verhaeghe, A. M. Suiker, T. A. Einhorn et al., “Brittle bones in spontaneously diabetic female rats cannot be predicted by bone mineral measurements: studies in diabetic and ovariectomized rats,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 1657–1667, 1994.
- J. Verhaeghe, A. M. Suiker, B. L. Nyomba et al., “Bone mineral homeostasis in spontaneously diabetic BB rats. II. Impaired bone turnover and decreased osteocalcin synthesis,” Endocrinology, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 573–582, 1989.
- J. Verhaeghe, E. van Herck, W. J. Visser et al., “Bone and mineral metabolism in BB rats with long-term diabetes: decreased bone turnover and osteoporosis,” Diabetes, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 477–482, 1990.
- S. A. G. Kemink, A. R. M. M. Hermus, L. M. J. W. Swinkels, J. A. Lutterman, and A. G. H. Smals, “Osteopenia in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: prevalence and aspects of pathophysiology,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 295–303, 2000.
- D. T. Ward, S. K. Yau, A. P. Mee et al., “Functional, molecular, and biochemical characterization of streptozotocin-induced diabetes,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 779–790, 2001.
- P. K. Dixit and R. A. Ekstrom, “Retardation of bone fracture healing in experimental diabetes,” Indian journal of medical research, vol. 85, pp. 426–435, 1987.
- H. A. Beam, J. R. Parsons, and S. S. Lin, “The effects of blood glucose control upon fracture healing in the BB Wistar rat with diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1210–1216, 2002.
- J. R. Funk, J. E. Hale, D. Carmines, H. L. Gooch, and S. R. Hurwitz, “Biomechanical evaluation of early fracture healing in normal and diabetic rats,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 126–132, 2000.
- G. K. Reddy, L. Stehno-Bittel, S. Hamade, and C. S. Enwemeka, “The biomechanical integrity of bone in experimental diabetes,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2001.
- J. Griffet, A. Chevallier, E. Accorsi, T. El Hayek, G. Odin, and B. Pebeyre, “Osteosynthesis of diaphyseal fracture by Ossatite experimental study in rat,” Biomaterials, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 511–515, 1999.
- S. Pramanik, A. K. Agarwal, K. N. Rai, and A. Garg, “Development of high strength hydroxyapatite by solid-state-sintering process,” Ceramics International, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 419–426, 2007.
- J. R. Woodard, A. J. Hilldore, S. K. Lan et al., “The mechanical properties and osteoconductivity of hydroxyapatite bone scaffolds with multi-scale porosity,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 45–54, 2007.
- V. Gopalakrishnan, J. Arunakaran, M. M. Aruldhas, and N. Srinivasan, “Effects of streptozotocin-induced diabetes mellitus on some bone turnover markers in the vertebrae of ovary-intact and ovariectomized adult rats,” Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 728–736, 2006.
- J. Verhaeghe, J. S. Thomsen, R. van Bree, E. van Herck, R. Bouillon, and L. Mosekilde, “Effects of exercise and disuse on bone remodeling, bone mass, and biomechanical competence in spontaneously diabetic female rats,” Bone, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 249–256, 2000.
- A. Shirwaikar, S. Khan, and S. Malini, “Antiosteoporotic effect of ethanol extract of Cissus quadrangularis Linn. on ovariectomized rat,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 89, no. 2-3, pp. 245–250, 2003.
- E. M. Williamson, Major Herbs of Ayuraveda, Churchill Livingstone, London, UK, 2002.
- S. J. Stohs and S. D. Ray, “A review and evaluation of the efficacy and safety of Cissus quadrangularis extracts,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1107–1114, 2013.
- B. K. Potu, M. S. Rao, G. K. Nampurath, M. R. Chamallamudi, S. R. Nayak, and H. Thomas, “Anti-osteoporotic activity of the petroleum ether extract of Cissus quadrangularis Linn. in ovariectomized wistar rats,” Chang Gung Medical Journal, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 252–257, 2010.
- T. Pathomwichaiwata, W. Suvitayavatb, A. Sailasutac, P. Piyachaturawatd, N. Soonthornchareonnone, and S. Prathanturaruga, “Antiosteoporotic effect of sequential extracts and freezedried juice of Cissus quadrangularis L. in ovariectomized mice,” Asian Biomedicine, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 377–384, 2012.
- G. C. Prasad and K. N. Udupa, “Pathways and site of action of a phytogenic steroid from Cissus quadrangularis,” Journal of Research in Indian Medicine, vol. 4, article 132, 1972.
- U. M. Aswar, V. Mohan, and S. L. Bodhankar, “Antiosteoporotic activity of phytoestrogen-rich fraction separated from ethanol extract of aerial parts of Cissus quadrangularis in ovariectomized rats,” Indian Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 345–350, 2012.
- B. K. Potu, K. M. Bhat, M. S. Rao et al., “Petroleum ether extract of Cissus quadrangularis (linn.) enhances bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell proliferation and facilitates osteoblastogenesis,” Clinics, vol. 64, no. 10, pp. 993–998, 2009.
- R. E. Neuman and M. A. Logan, “The determination of collagen and elastin in tissues,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 186, no. 2, pp. 549–556, 1950.
- N. P. Reddy, M. Lakshmana, and U. V. Udupa, “Antiosteoporotic activity of OST-6(Osteocare), a herbomineral preparation in calcium deficient ovariectomized rats,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 25–29, 2004.
- C. E. Waud, S. C. Marks Jr., R. Lew, and D. T. Baran, “Bone mineral density in the femur and lumbar vertebrae decreases after twelve weeks of diabetes in spontaneously diabetic-prone BB/Worcester rats,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 237–240, 1994.
- S. Herrero, O. M. Calvo, C. García-Moreno et al., “Low bone density with normal bone turnover in ovariectomized and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 260–265, 1998.
- T. Miazgowski and S. Czekalski, “A 2-year follow-up study on bone mineral density and markers of bone turnover in patients with long-standing insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 399–403, 1998.
- M. J. Silva, M. D. Brodt, M. A. Lynch et al., “Type 1 diabetes in young rats leads to progressive trabecular bone loss, cessation of cortical bone growth, and diminished whole bone strength and fatigue life,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1618–1627, 2009.
- P. K. Dixit and R. A. Ekstrom, “Decreased breaking strength of diabetic rat bone and its improvement by insulin treatment,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 195–199, 1980.
- T. A. Einhorn, A. L. Boskey, C. M. Gundberg, V. J. Vigorita, V. J. Devlin, and M. M. Beyer, “The mineral and mechanical properties of bone in chronic experimental diabetes,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 317–323, 1988.
- T. Tsuchida, K. Sato, N. Miyakoshi et al., “Histomorphometric evaluation of the recovering effect of human parathyroid hormone (1–34) on bone structure and turnover in streptozotocin- induced diabetic rats,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 229–233, 2000.
- W. G. Goodman and M. T. Hori, “Diminished bone formation in experimental diabetes. Relationship to osteoid maturation and mineralization,” Diabetes, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 825–831, 1984.
- K. J. Motyl, S. Botolin, R. Irwin et al., “Bone inflammation and altered gene expression with type I diabetes early onset,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 218, no. 3, pp. 575–583, 2009.
- R. Blakytny, M. Spraul, and E. B. Jude, “Review: the diabetic bone: a cellular and molecular perspective,” The International Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 16–32, 2011.
- A. M. Bhujade, S. Talmale, N. Kumar et al., “Evaluation of Cissus quadrangularis extracts as an inhibitor of COX, 5-LOX, and proinflammatory mediators,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 141, no. 3, pp. 989–996, 2012.
- J. Banu, E. Varela, A. N. Bahadur, R. Soomro, N. Kazi, and G. Fernandes, “Inhibition of bone loss by Cissus quadrangularis in mice: a preliminary report,” Journal of Osteoporosis, vol. 2012, Article ID 101206, 10 pages, 2012.
- T. Oyama, Y. Miyasita, H. Watanabe, and K. Shirai, “The role of polyol pathway in high glucose-induced endothelial cell damages,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 227–234, 2006.
- K. Ding, Z. Wang, M. W. Hamrick et al., “Disordered osteoclast formation in RAGE-deficient mouse establishes an essential role for RAGE in diabetes related bone loss,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 340, no. 4, pp. 1091–1097, 2006.
- Y. Hamada, S. Kitazawa, R. Kitazawa, H. Fujii, M. Kasuga, and M. Fukagawa, “Histomorphometric analysis of diabetic osteopenia in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice: a possible role of oxidative stress,” Bone, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1408–1414, 2007.
- I. R. Garrett, B. F. Boyce, R. O. Oreffo, L. Bonewald, J. Poser, and G. R. Mundy, “Oxygen-derived free radicals stimulate osteoclastic bone resorption in rodent bone in vitro and in vivo,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 632–639, 1990.
- X.-C. Bai, D. Lu, J. Bai et al., “Oxidative stress inhibits osteoblastic differentiation of bone cells by ERK and NF-κB,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 314, no. 1, pp. 197–207, 2004.
- M. Jainu and C. S. Devi, “In vitro and in vivo evaluation of free-radical scavenging potential of Cissus quadrangularis,” African Journal of Biomedical Research, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 95–99, 2005.
- K. N. C. Murthy, A. Vanitha, M. M. Swamy, and G. A. Ravishankar, “Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of Cissus quadrangularis L,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 99–105, 2003.
- R. G. Clark, “Recombinant human insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I): risks and benefits of normalizing blood IGF-I concentrations,” Hormone Research in Paediatrics, vol. 62, supplement 1, pp. 93–100, 2004.
- P. M. Jehle, D. R. Jehle, S. Mohan, and B. O. Böhm, “Serum levels of insulin-like growth factor system components and relationship to bone metabolism in type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus patients,” The Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 159, no. 2, pp. 297–306, 1998.
- C. J. Rosen, C. L. Ackert-Bicknell, M. L. Adamo et al., “Congenic mice with low serum IGF-I have increased body fat, reduced bone mineral density, and an altered osteoblast differentiation program,” Bone, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 1046–1058, 2004.
- M. Zhang, S. Xuan, M. L. Bouxsein et al., “Osteoblast-specific knockout of the insulin-like growth factor (IGF) receptor gene reveals an essential role of IGF signaling in bone matrix mineralization,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 46, pp. 44005–44012, 2002.
- J. Verhaeghe, A. M. Suiker, W. J. Visser, E. van Herck, R. van Bree, and R. Bouillon, “The effects of systemic insulin, insulin-like growth factor-I and growth hormone on bone growth and turnover in spontaneously diabetic BB rats,” The Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 485–492, 1992.
- S. Muthusami, I. Ramachandran, S. Krishnamoorthy, R. Govindan, and S. Narasimhan, “Cissus quadrangularis augments IGF system components in human osteoblast like SaOS-2 cells,” Growth Hormone and IGF Research, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 343–348, 2011.
- V. Gopalakrishnan, R. C. Vignesh, J. Arunakaran, M. M. Aruldhas, and N. Srinivasan, “Effects of glucose and its modulation by insulin and estradiol on BMSC differentiation into osteoblastic lineages,” Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 93–101, 2006.
- M. M. C. Pastor, P. J. López-Ibarra, F. Escobar-Jiménez, M. D. Serrano Pardo, and A. García-Cervigón, “Intensive insulin therapy and bone mineral density in type 1 diabetes mellitus: a prospective study,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 455–459, 2000.
- D. E. Hughes, A. Dai, J. C. Tiffee, H. H. Li, G. R. Munoy, and B. F. Boyce, “Estrogen promotes apoptosis of murine osteoclasts mediated by TGF-β,” Nature Medicine, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 1132–1136, 1996.