- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Pharmacological Sciences
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 924706, 6 pages
Embryotoxic and Teratogenic Effects of Norfloxacin in Pregnant Female Albino Rats
1Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Benha University, Moshtohor, Toukh, Qaliobiya 13736, Egypt
2Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Cairo University, Giza 12211, Egypt
3Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Sadat City, Minoufiya 32897, Egypt
Received 14 November 2013; Revised 13 December 2013; Accepted 13 December 2013; Published 3 February 2014
Academic Editor: Berend Olivier
Copyright © 2014 Mohamed Aboubakr et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. O'Rahilly, Human Embryology & Teratology, Wiley-Liss, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2001.
- P. N. Schlegel, T. S. K. Chang, and F. F. Marshall, “Antibiotics: potential hazards to male fertility,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 235–242, 1991.
- K. L. Moore, The Developing Human, WB Saunder, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 4th edition, 1988.
- P. J. A. Amwayi and G. E. Otiang'a-Owiti, “Use of biometric embryonic growth parameters as indicator of exposure to a teratogen,” East African Medical Journal, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 6–11, 1997.
- A. Gürbay, C. Garrel, M. Osman, M.-J. Richard, A. Favier, and F. Hincal, “Cytotoxicity in ciprofloxacin-treated human fibroblast cells and protection by vitamin E,” Human and Experimental Toxicology, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 635–641, 2002.
- A. J. Mehlhorn and D. A. Brown, “Safety concerns with fluoroquinolones,” Annals of Pharmacotherapy, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 1859–1866, 2007.
- K. S. Wolfson and D. C. Hooper, “Fluoroquinolone antimicrobial agents,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 378–424, 1989.
- P. B. Fernandes, “Mode of action, and in vitro and in vivo activities of the fluoroquinolones,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 156–168, 1988.
- G. L. Hassert, P. J. DeBaecke, J. S. Kulesza, V. M. Traina, D. P. Sinha, and E. Bernal, “Toxicological, pathological, and teratological studies in animals with cephradine,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 682–685, 1973.
- D. J. MacIntyre, H.-H. Chang, and M. H. Kaufman, “Teratogenic effects of amniotic sac puncture: a mouse model,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 186, no. 3, pp. 527–539, 1995.
- P. Barcellona, O. Fanelli, and A. Campana, “Teratological study of etoperidone in the rat and rabbit,” Toxicology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 87–94, 1977.
- A. W. Hayes, Principles and Method of Toxicology, Reven Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1988.
- R. A. B. Drury and E. A. Wallington, Carleton's Histological Technique, Oxford University Press, London, UK, 5th edition, 1980.
- P. M. Vancutsem, J. G. Babish, and W. S. Schwark, “The fluoroquinolone antimicrobials: structure, antimicrobial activity, pharmacokinetics, clinical use in domestic animals and toxicity,” The Cornell Veterinarian, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 173–186, 1990.
- H. Tuchmann, Drug Effects on Fetus, ADIS Press, New York, NY, USA, 1975.
- M. Kurebe, H. Asaoka, and M. Moriguchi, “Toxicological studies on a new cephamycin, MT-141. IX. Its teratogenicity test in rats and rabbits,” Japanese Journal of Antibiotics, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1186–1210, 1984.
- M. A. Siddiqui and S. N. H. Naqvi, “Evaluation of the teratogenic potentials of ciprofloxacin in albino rat,” Journal of Morphological Sciences, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 14–18, 2010.
- S. Takayama, T. Watanabe, and Y. Akiyama, “Reproductive toxicity of ofloxacin,” Arzneimittel-Forschung, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 1244–1248, 1986.
- T. Watanabe, K. Fujikawa, S. Harada, K. Ohura, T. Sasaki, and S. Takayama, “Reproductive toxicity of the new quinolone antibacterial agent levofloxacin in rats and rabbits,” Arzneimittel-Forschung A, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 374–377, 1992.
- L. R. Zhang, Y. M. Wang, B. Y. Chen, and N. N. Cheng, “Neurotoxicity and toxicokinetics of norfloxacin in conscious rats,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 605–623, 2003.
- K. Akahane, M. Kato, and S. Takayama, “Involvement of inhibitory and excitatory neurotransmitters in levofloxacin- and ciprofloxacin-induced convulsions in mice,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 1764–1770, 1993.
- P. Hussy, G. Maass, and B. Tummler, “Effect of 4-quinolones and novobiocin on calf thymus DNA polymerase α primase complex, topoisomerases I and II, and growth of mammalian lymphoblasts,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1073–1078, 1986.
- S. H. Elsea, P. R. McGuirk, T. D. Gootz, M. Moynihan, and N. Osheroff, “Drug features that contribute to the activity of quinolones against mammalian topoisomerase II and cultured cells: correlation between enhancement of enzyme-mediated DNA cleavage in vitro and cytotoxic potential,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 2179–2186, 1993.
- R. Stahlmann, “Clinical toxicological aspects of fluoroquinolones,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 127, no. 1–3, pp. 269–277, 2002.
- J. Kang, L. Wang, X. Chen, D. J. Triggle, and D. Rampe, “Interactions of a series of fluoroquinolone antibacterial drugs with the human cardiac K+ channel HERG,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 122–126, 2001.
- E. C. Gilfillan, B. A. Pelak, and J. A. Bland, “Pharmacokinetic studies of norfloxacin in laboratory animals,” Chemotherapy, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 288–296, 1984.
- G. J. Davis and B. E. McKenzie, “Toxicologic evaluation of ofloxacin,” American Journal of Medicine C, vol. 87, supplement 6, pp. 43S–46S, 1989.
- J. C. Kim, D.-H. Shin, S.-H. Kim et al., “Peri- and postnatal developmental toxicity of the fluoroquinolone antibacterial DW-116 in rats,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 389–395, 2004.
- J. C. Kim, S. H. Kim, D. H. Shin et al., “Developmental toxicity assessment of the new fluoroquinolone antibacterial DW-116 in rabbits,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 52–59, 2005.
- M. M. Hall, J. T. Finnoff, and J. Smith, “Musculoskeletal complications of fluoroquinolones: guidelines and precautions for usage in the athletic population,” Journal of Injury, Function and Rehabilitation, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 132–142, 2011.
- R. Stahlmann, “Children as a special population at risk-quinolones as an example for xenobiotics exhibiting skeletal toxicity,” Archives of Toxicology, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 7–11, 2003.
- N. K. Arora, “Are fluoroquinolones safe in children?” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 601–603, 1994.
- C. W. Jeffry, S. K. Soo, D. R. James et al., “Inhibition of clinically relevant mutant variants of HIV-1 by quinazolinone non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 2019–2030, 2000.