- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 1 (2004), Issue 4, Pages 231-239
Genomic comparison of archaeal conjugative plasmids from Sulfolobus
1Danish Archaea Centre, Institute of Molecular Biology, Copenhagen University, Sølvgade 83H, DK-1307 Copenhagen K, Denmark
2Max-Planck Institute für Biochemie, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany
Received 12 May 2004; Accepted 2 July 2004
Copyright © 2004 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Aagaard, J.Z. Dalgaard, and R.A. Garrett, “Inter-cellular mobility and homing of an archaeal rDNA intron confers selective advantage over intron-cells of Sulfolobus acidocaldarius,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 92, pp. 12285–12289, 1995.
- S.V. Albers and A.M. Driessen, “Signal peptides of secreted proteins of the archaeon Sulfolobus solfataricus: a genomic survey,” Arch. Microbiol., vol. 177, pp. 209–216, 2002.
- S. Altschul, T. Madden, A. Schaffer, J. Zhang, Z. Zhang, W. Miller, and D. Lipman, “Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs,” Nucleic Acids Res., vol. 2, pp. 3389–3402, 1997.
- D. Balzer, W. Pansegrau, and E. Lanka, “Essential motifs of relaxase (TraI) and TraG proteins involved in conjugative transfer of plasmid RP4,” J. Bacteriol. , vol. 176, pp. 4285–4295, 1994.
- K. Brügger, P. Redder, and M. Skovgaard, “MUTAGEN: Multi-user tool for annotating genomes,” Bioinformatics, vol. 19, pp. 2480–2481, 2003.
- I. Callebaut, G. Labesse, P. Durand, A. Poupon, L. Canard, J. Chomilier, and J.P. Mornon, “Deciphering protein sequence information through hydrophobic cluster analysis (HCA): current status and perspectives,” Cell. Mol. Life Sci., vol. 53, pp. 621–645, 1997.
- R.L. Charlebois, Q. She, D.P. Sprott, C.W. Sensen, and R.A. Garrett, “Sulfolobus genome: from genomics to biology,” Curr. Opin. Microbiol., vol. 1, pp. 584–588, 1998.
- P.J. Christie, “Type IV secretion: intercellular transfer of macromoleules by systems ancestrally related to conjugation machines,” Mol. Microbiol., vol. 40, pp. 294–305, 2001.
- G. del Solar, R. Giraldo, M.J. Ruiz-Echevarria, M. Espinosa, and R. Diaz-Orejas, “Replication and control of circular bacterial plasmids,” Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev., vol. 62, pp. 434–464, 1998.
- J. Errington, J. Bath, and L.J. Wu, “DNA transport in bacteria,” Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol., vol. 2, pp. 538–545, 2001.
- J. Garnier, J.F. Gibrat, and B. Robson, “GOR method for predicting protein secondary structure from amino acid sequence,” Methods Enzymol., vol. 266, pp. 540–553, 1996.
- R.A. Garrett, P. Redder, B. Greve, K. Brügger, L. Chen, and Q. She, “Archaeal plasmids,” in Plasmid Biology, B.E. Funnell and G.J. Phillips, Eds., pp. 377–392, A.S.M. Press, Washington, 2004.
- F.X. Gomis-Rüth, G. Moncalian, R. Perez-Luque, A. Gonzalez, E. Cabezon, F. De La Cruz, and M. Coll, “The bacterial conjugation protein TrwB resembles ring helicases and F1-ATPase,” Nature, vol. 409, pp. 637–641, 2001.
- D.W. Grogan, “Exchange of genetic markers at extremely high temperatures in the archaeon Sulfolobus acidocaldarius,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 178, pp. 3207–3211, 1996.
- E. Grohmann, G. Muth, and M. Espinosa, “Conjugative plasmid transfer in gram-positive bacteria,” Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev., vol. 67, pp. 277–301, 2003.
- A. Heger and L. Holm, “Rapid automatic detection and alignment of repeats in protein sequences,” Proteins, vol. 41, pp. 224–237, 2000.
- E. Lanka and B. Wilkins, “DNA processing reactions in bacterial conjugation,” Annu. Rev. Biochem., vol. 64, pp. 141–169, 1995.
- G. Lipps, M. Stegert, and G. Krauss, “Thermostable and site-specific DNA binding of the gene product ORF56 from the Sulfolobus islandicus plasmid pRN1, a putative archaeal plasmid copy control protein,” Nucleic Acids Res., vol. 29, pp. 904–913, 2001.
- G. Lipps, P. Ibanez, T. Stroessenreuther, K. Hekimian, and G. Krauss, “The protein ORF80 from the acidophilic and thermophilic archaeon Sulfolobus islandicus binds highly site-specifically to double-stranded DNA and represents a novel type of basic leucine zipper protein,” Nucleic Acids Res., vol. 29, pp. 4973–4982, 2001.
- C. Marck, “‘DNA Strider’: a ‘C’ program for the fast analysis of DNA and protein sequences on the Apple Macintosh family of computers,” Nucleic Acids Res., vol. 16, pp. 1829–1836, 1988.
- C. Notredame, D.G. Higgins, and J. Heringa, “T-coffee: a novel method for fast and accurate multiple sequence alignments,” J. Mol. Biol., vol. 302, pp. 205–217, 2000.
- W. Pansegrau and E. Lanka, “Enzymology of DNA transfer by conjugative mechanisms,” Prog. Nucleic Acid Res. Mol. Biol., vol. 54, pp. 197–251, 1996.
- X. Peng, I. Holz, W. Zillig, R.A. Garrett, and Q. She, “Evolution of the family of pRN plasmids and their integrase-mediated insertion into the chromosome of the crenarchaeon Sulfolobus solfataricus,” J. Mol. Biol., vol. 303, pp. 449–454, 2000.
- X. Peng, K. Brügger, B. Shen, L. Chen, Q. She, and R.A. Garrett, “Genus-specific protein binding to the large clusters of DNA repeats (short regularly spaced repeats) present in Sulfolobus genomes,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 185, pp. 2410–2417, 2003.
- C. Possoz, C. Ribard, J. Cagnat, and M. Guéreau, “The integrative element pSAM2 from Streptomyces: kinetics and mode of conjugal transfer,” Mol. Microbiol., vol. 42, pp. 159–166, 2001.
- D. Prangishvili, S.-V. Albers, I. Holz, et al., “Conjugation in archaea: frequent occurrence of conjugative plasmids in Sulfolobus,” Plasmid, vol. 40, pp. 190–202, 1998.
- C. Rabel, A.M. Grahn, R. Lurz, and E. Lanka, “The VirB4 family of proposed traffic nucleoside triphosphatases: common motifs in plasmid RP4 TrbE are essential for conjugation and phage adsorption,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 185, pp. 1045–1058, 2003.
- M.S. Reilly and D.W. Grogan, “Characterization of intragenic recombination in a hyperthermophilic archaeon via conjugational DNA exchange,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 183, pp. 2943–2946, 2001.
- A.A. Salyers, N.B. Shoemaker, A.M. Stevens, and L.Y. Li, “Conjugative transposons: an unusual and diverse set of integrated gene transfer elements,” Microbiol. Rev., vol. 59, pp. 579–590, 1995.
- C. Schleper, I. Holz, D. Janekovic, J. Murphy, and W. Zillig, “A multicopy plasmid of the extremely thermophilic archaeonSulfolobus effects its transfer to recipients by mating,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 177, pp. 4417–4426, 1995.
- G. Schröder, S. Krause, and S. Krause, “TraG-like proteins of DNA transfer systems and of Helicobacter pylori type IV secretion system: inner membrane gate for exported substrates?” J. Bacteriol., vol. 184, pp. 2767–2779, 2002.
- Q. She, H. Phan, R.A. Garrett, S.V. Albers, K.M. Stedman, and W. Zillig, “Genetic profile of pNOB8 from Sulfolobus: the first conjugative plasmid from an archaeon,” Extremophiles, vol. 2, pp. 417–425, 1998.
- Q. She, R.K. Singh, F. Confalonieri, et al., “The complete genome of the crenarchaeon Sulfolobus solfataricus P2,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 98, pp. 7835–7840, 2001.
- Q. She, K. Brügger, and L. Chen, “Archaeal integrative genetic elements and their impact on genome evolution,” Res. Microbiol., vol. 153, pp. 325–332, 2002.
- K.M. Stedman, Q. She, and Q. She, “The pING family of conjugative plasmids from the extremely thermophilic archaeon Sulfolobus islandicus: insights into recombination and conjugation in crenarchaeota,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 182, pp. 7014–7020, 2000.
- T.-H. Tang, J.-P. Bachellerie, T. Rozhdestvensky, et al., “Identification of 86 candidates for small non-messenger RNAs from the archaeonArchaeoglobus fulgidus,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 99, pp. 7536–7541, 2002.
- E.R. Tillier and R.A. Collins, “The contributions of replication orientation, gene direction, and signal sequences to base-composition asymmetries in bacterial genomes,” J. Mol. Evol. , vol. 50, pp. 249–257, 2000.
- J.E. Walker, M. Saraste, M.J. Runswick, and N.J. Gay, “Distantly related sequences in the α- and β-subunits of ATP synthase, myosin, kinases and other ATP-requiring enzymes and a common nucleotide binding fold,” EMBO J., vol. 1, pp. 945–951, 1982.
- W. Zillig, D. Prangishvili, and D. Prangishvili, “Viruses, plasmids and other genetic elements of thermophilic and hyperthermophilic archaea,” FEMS Microbiol. Rev., vol. 18, pp. 225–236, 1996.
- W. Zillig, H.P. Arnold, I. Holz, et al., “Genetic elements in the extremely thermophilic archaeon Sulfolobus,” Extremophiles, vol. 2, pp. 131–140, 1998.