- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 1 (2005), Issue 5, Pages 319-325
Novel RepA-MCM proteins encoded in plasmids pTAU4, pORA1 and pTIK4 from Sulfolobus neozealandicus
1Danish Archaea Centre, Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Copenhagen, Sølvgade 83H, DK-1307 Copenhagen, Denmark
2Max-Planck-Institut für Biochemie, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany
Received 2 September 2004; Accepted 8 November 2004
Copyright © 2005 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S.V. Albers and A.M. Driessen, “Signal peptides of secreted proteins of the archaeon Sulfolobus solfataricus: a genomic survey,” Arch. Microbiol., vol. 177, pp. 209–216, 2002.
- S. Altschul, T. Madden, A. Schaffer, J. Zhang, Z. Zhang, W. Miller, and D. Lipman, “Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs,” Nucleic Acids Res., vol. 2, pp. 3389–3402, 1997.
- H.P. Arnold, Q. She, and Q. She, “The genetic element pSSVx of the extremely thermophilic crenarchaeon Sulfolobus is a hybrid between a plasmid and a virus,” Mol. Microbiol., vol. 34, pp. 217–226, 1999.
- H. Brüggemann, S. Bäumer, W.F. Fricke, et al., “The genome sequence of Clostridium tetani, the causative agent of tetanus disease,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 100, pp. 1316–1321, 2003.
- K. Brügger, P. Redder, and M. Skovgaard, “MUTAGEN: multi- user tool for annotating genomes,” Bioinformatics , vol. 19, pp. 2480–2481, 2003.
- R.A. Garrett, P. Redder, B. Greve, K. Brügger, L. Chen, and Q. She, “Archaeal plasmids,” in Plasmid Biology, B.E. Funnell and G.J. Phillips, Eds., pp. 377–392, A.S.M. Press, Washington, 2004.
- B. Greve, S. Jensen, K. Brügger, W. Zillig, and R.A. Garrett, “Genomic comparison of archaeal conjugative plasmids from Sulfolobus,” Archaea, vol. 1, pp. 231–239, 2004.
- A. Heger and L. Holm, “Rapid automatic detection and alignment of repeats in protein sequences,” Proteins, vol. 41, pp. 224–237, 2000.
- L.M. Iyer, D.D. Leipe, E.V. Koonin, and L. Aravind, “Evolutionary history and higher order classification of AAA+ ATPases,” J. Struct. Biol., vol. 146, pp. 11–31, 2004.
- P.J. Keeling, H.-P. Klenk, R.K. Singh, M.E. Schenk, C.W. Sensen, W. Zillig, and W.F. Doolittle, “Sulfolobus islandicus plasmids pRN1 and pRN2 share distant but common evolutionary distance,” Extremophiles, vol. 2, pp. 391–393, 1998.
- A. Kletzin, A. Lieke, T. Urich, R.L. Charlebois, and C.W. Sensen, “Molecular analysis of pDL10 from Acidianus ambivalens reveals a family of related plasmids from extremely thermophilic and acidophilic archaea,” Genetics, vol. 152, pp. 1307–1314, 1999.
- E.V. Koonin, “A common set of conserved motifs in a vast variety of putative nucleic acid-dependent ATPases including MCM proteins involved in the initation of eukaryotic DNA replication,” Nucleic Acids Res., vol. 21, pp. 2541–2547, 1993.
- G. Lipps, “The replication protein of the Sulfolobus islandicus plasmid pRN1,” Biochem. Soc. Trans., vol. 32, pp. 240–244, 2003.
- G. Lipps, M. Stegert, and G. Krauss, “Thermostable and site-specific DNA binding of the gene product ORF56 from the Sulfolobus islandicus plasmid pRN1, a putative archaeal plasmid copy control protein,” Nucleic Acids Res., vol. 29, pp. 904–913, 2001.
- G. Lipps, P. Ibanez, T. Stroessenreuther, K. Hekimian, and G. Krauss, “The protein ORF80 from the acidophilic and thermophilic archaeon Sulfolobus islandicus binds highly site-specifically to double-stranded DNA and represents a novel type of basic leucine zipper protein,” Nucleic Acids Res., vol. 29, pp. 4973–4982, 2001.
- G. Lipps, S. Röther, C. Hart, and G. Krauss, “A novel type of replicative enzyme harbouring ATPase, primase and DNA polymerase activity,” EMBO J., vol. 22, pp. 2516–2525, 2003.
- G. Lipps, A.O. Weinzierl, G. Von Scheven, C. Buchen, and P. Cramer, “Structure of a bifunctional DNA primase–polymerase,” Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol., vol. 11, pp. 157–162, 2004.
- C. Marck, “‘DNA Strider’: a ‘C’ program for the fast analysis of DNA and protein sequences on the Apple Macintosh family of computers,” Nucleic Acids Res., vol. 16, pp. 1829–1836, 1988.
- C. Notredame, D. Higgins, and J. Heringa, “T-Coffee: a novel method for multiple sequence alignments,” J. Mol. Biol., vol. 302, pp. 205–217, 2000.
- X. Peng, I. Holz, W. Zillig, R.A. Garrett, and Q. She, “Evolution of the family of pRN plasmids and their integrase-mediated insertion into the chromosome of the crenarchaeon Sulfolobus solfataricus,” J. Mol. Biol., vol. 303, pp. 449–454, 2000.
- D. Prangishvili and R.A. Garrett, “Exceptionally diverse morphotypes and genomes of crenarchaeal hyperthermophilic viruses,” Biochem. Soc. Trans., vol. 32, pp. 204–208, 2004.
- D. Prangishvili, S-V. Albers, I. Holz, et al., “Conjugation in archaea: Frequent occurrence of conjugative plasmids in Sulfolobus,” Plasmid, vol. 40, pp. 190–202, 1998.
- D. Prangishvili, K.M. Stedman, and W. Zillig, “Viruses of the extremely thermophilic archaeon Sulfolobus,” Trends Microbiol., vol. 9, pp. 39–42, 2001.
- W.D. Reiter, P. Palm, and W. Zillig, “Transcription termination in the archaebacterium Sulfolobus: signal structures and linkage to transcription initiation,” Nucleic Acids Res., vol. 16, pp. 2445–2459, 1988.
- N.P. Robinson, I. Dionne, M. Lundgren, V.L. Marsh, R. Bernander, and S.D. Bell, “Identification of two origins of replication in the single chhromosome of the archaeaon Sulfolobus solfataricus,” Cell, vol. 116, pp. 25–38, 2004.
- Q. She, H. Phan, R.A. Garrett, S.V. Albers, K.M. Stedman, and W. Zillig, “Genetic profile of pNOB8 from Sulfolobus: the first conjugative plasmid from an archaeon,” Extremophiles, vol. 2, pp. 417–425, 1998.
- Q. She, K. Brügger, and L. Chen, “Archaeal integrative genetic elements and their impact on genome evolution,” Res. Microbiol., vol. 153, pp. 325–332, 2002.
- K.M. Stedman, Q. She, and Q. She, “The pING family of conjugative plasmids from the extremely thermophilic archaeon Sulfolobus islandicus: insights into recombination and conjugation in Crenarchaeota,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 182, pp. 7014–7020, 2000.
- N. Tolstrup, C.W. Sensen, R.A. Garrett, and I.G. Clausen, “Two different and highly organized mechanisms of translation initiation in the archaeon Sulfolobus solfataricus,” Extremophiles, vol. 4, pp. 175–179, 2000.
- E. Torarinsson, H.-P. Klenk, and R.A. Garrett, “Divergent transcriptional and translational signals in Archaea,” Environ. Microbiol., 2004, In press.
- B.K. Tye, “MCM proteins in DNA replication,” Annu. Rev. Biochem., vol. 68, pp. 649–686, 1999.
- W. Zillig, A. Kletzin, and A. Kletzin, “Screening for Sulfolobales, their plasmids and their viruses in Icelandic solfataras,” Syst. Appl. Microbiol., vol. 16, pp. 609–628, 1994.
- W. Zillig, D. Prangishvili, and D. Prangishvili, “Viruses, plasmids and other genetic elements of thermophilic and hyperthermophilic archaea,” FEMS Microbiol. Rev., vol. 18, pp. 225–236, 1996.
- W. Zillig, H.P Arnold, I. Holz, et al., “Genetic elements in the extremely thermophilic archaeon Sulfolobus,” Extremophiles , vol. 2, pp. 131–140, 1998.