- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 920241, 7 pages
Localization of Methyl-Coenzyme M Reductase as Metabolic Marker for Diverse Methanogenic Archaea
1Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, Grisebachstraße 8, 37077 Göttingen, Germany
2Hannover Medical School, Institute of Functional and Applied Anatomy, Carl-Neuberg-Straße 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
3Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology Unit, German Primate Center, Kellnerweg 4, 37077 Göttingen, Germany
4School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, 90 South Street Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
5Courant Centre Geobiology, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, Goldschmidtstraße 3, 37077 Göttingen, Germany
Received 21 September 2012; Accepted 9 January 2013
Academic Editor: J. Reitner
Copyright © 2013 Christoph Wrede et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. K. Thauer, “Biochemistry of methanogenesis: a tribute to Marjory Stephenson,” Microbiology, vol. 144, no. 9, pp. 2377–2406, 1998.
- R. K. Thauer, A. K. Kaster, H. Seedorf, W. Buckel, and R. Hedderich, “Methanogenic archaea: ecologically relevant differences in energy conservation,” Nature Reviews Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 579–591, 2008.
- G. Gottschalk and R. K. Thauer, “The Na+-translocating methyltransferase complex from methanogenic archaea,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1505, no. 1, pp. 28–36, 2001.
- E. Stupperich, A. Juza, M. Hoppert, and F. Mayer, “Cloning, sequencing and immunological characterization of the corrinoid-containing subunit of the N5-methyltetrahydromethanopterin:coenzyme-M methyltransferase from Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 217, no. 1, pp. 115–121, 1993.
- U. Deppenmeier, “Redox-driven proton translocation in methanogenic archaea,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 1513–1533, 2002.
- A. Stojanowic, G. J. Mander, E. C. Duin, and R. Hedderich, “Physiological role of the F420-non-reducing hydrogenase (MvH) from Methanothermobacter marburgensis,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 180, no. 3, pp. 194–203, 2003.
- R. P. Hausinger, W. H. Orme-Johnson, and C. Walsh, “Nickel tetrapyrrole cofactor F430: comparison of the forms bound to methyl coenzyme M reductase and protein free in cells of Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum ΔH,” Biochemistry, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 801–804, 1984.
- I. Thomas, H.-C. Dubourguier, G. Prensier, P. Debeire, and G. Albagnac, “Purification of component C from Methanosarcina mazei and immunolocalization in Methanosarcinaceae,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 148, no. 3, pp. 193–201, 1987.
- J. Ellermann, R. Hedderich, R. Böcher, and R. K. Thauer, “The final step in methane formation. Investigations with highly purified methyl-CoM reductase (component C) from Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum (strain Marburg),” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 172, no. 3, pp. 669–677, 1988.
- J. Ellermann, S. Rospert, R. K. Thauer et al., “Methyl-coenzyme-M reductase from Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum (strain Marburg)-purity, activity and novel inhibitors,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 184, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 1989.
- L. G. Bonacker, S. Baudner, and R. K. Thauer, “Differential expression of the two methyl-coenzyme M reductases in Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum as determined immunochemically via isoenzyme-speficic antisera,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 206, no. 1, pp. 87–92, 1992.
- R. Ossmer, T. Mund, and P. L. Hartzell, “Immunocytochemical localization of component C of the methylreductase system in Methanococcus voltae and Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 83, no. 16, pp. 5789–5792, 1986.
- H. C. Aldrich, D. B. Beimborn, M. Bokranz, and P. Schönheit, “Immunocytochemical localization of methyl-coenzyme M reductase in Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 147, no. 2, pp. 190–194, 1987.
- F. Mayer, M. Rohde, M. Salzmann, A. Jussofie, and G. Gottschalk, “The methanoreductosome: a high-molecular-weight enzyme complex in the methanogenic bacterium strain Gö1 that contains components of the methylreductase system,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 170, no. 4, pp. 1438–1444, 1988.
- M. Hoppert and F. Mayer, “Electron microscopy of native and artificial methylreductase high-molecular-weight complexes in strain Gö 1 and Methanococcus voltae,” FEBS Letters, vol. 267, no. 1, pp. 33–37, 1990.
- M. Krüger, A. Meyerdierks, F. O. Glöckner et al., “A conspicuous nickel protein in microbial mats that oxidize methane anaerobically,” Nature, vol. 426, no. 6968, pp. 878–881, 2003.
- S. J. Hallam, N. Putnam, C. M. Preston et al., “Reverse methanogenesis: testing the hypothesis with environmental genomics,” Science, vol. 305, no. 5689, pp. 1457–1462, 2004.
- S. Shima, M. Krüger, T. Weinert et al., “Structure of a methyl-coenzyme M reductase from Black Sea mats that oxidize methane anaerobically,” Nature, vol. 481, no. 7379, pp. 98–101, 2011.
- A. Meyerdierks, M. Kube, I. Kostadinov et al., “Metagenome and mRNA expression analyses of anaerobic methanotrophic archaea of the ANME-1 group,” Environmental Microbiology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 422–439, 2010.
- P. Schönheit, J. Moll, and R. K. Thauer, “Growth parameters (K(s), μ(max), Y(s)) of Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 59–65, 1980.
- H. Huber, M. Thomm, H. Konig, G. Thies, and K. O. Stetter, “Methanococcus thermolithotrophicus, a novel thermophilic lithotrophic methanogen,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 47–50, 1982.
- N. Belay, R. Sparling, and L. Daniels, “Dinitrogen fixation by a thermophilic methanogenic bacterium,” Nature, vol. 312, no. 5991, pp. 286–288, 1984.
- J. Winter, C. Lerp, and H. P. Zabel, “Methanobacterium wolfei, sp. nov., a new tungsten-requiring, thermophilic, autotrophic methanogen,” Systematic and Applied Microbiology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 457–466, 1984.
- H. Hippe, D. Caspari, K. Fiebig, and G. Gottschalk, “Utilization of trimethylamine and other N methyl compounds for growth and methane formation by Methanosarcina barkeri,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 494–498, 1979.
- H. König and K. O. Stetter, “Isolation and characterization of Methanolobus tindarius, sp. nov., a coccoid methanogen growing only on methanol and methylamines,” Zentralblatt für Bakteriologie Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 478–490, 1982.
- E. Harlow and D. Lane, Antibodies-A Laboratory Manual, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- U. K. Laemmli, “Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Nature, vol. 227, no. 5259, pp. 680–685, 1970.
- H. Towbin, T. Staehelin, and J. Gordon, “Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 4350–4354, 1979.
- H. Blum, H. Beier, and J. H. Gross, “Improved silver staining of plant proteins, RNA and DNA in polyacrylamide gels,” Electrophoresis, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 93–99, 1987.
- M. Hoppert and A. Holzenburg, Electron Microscopy in Microbiology, Bios Scientific, Oxford, UK, 1998.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- J. Reitner, J. Peckmann, M. Blumenberg, W. Michaelis, A. Reimer, and V. Thiel, “Concretionary methane-seep carbonates and associated microbial communities in Black Sea sediments,” Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, vol. 227, no. 1–3, pp. 18–30, 2005.
- C. Heller, M. Hoppert, and J. Reitner, “Immunological localization of coenzyme M reductase in anaerobic methane-oxidizing archaea of ANME 1 and ANME 2 type,” Geomicrobiology Journal, vol. 25, no. 3-4, pp. 149–156, 2008.
- M. Kämper, S. Vetterkind, R. Berker, and M. Hoppert, “Methods for in situ detection and characterization of extracellular polymers in biofilms by electron microscopy,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 55–64, 2004.
- L. G. Bonacker, S. Baudner, E. Mörschel, R. Böcher, and R. K. Thauer, “Properties of the two isoenzymes of methyl-coenzyme M reductase in Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 217, no. 2, pp. 587–595, 1993.
- C. Wrede, V. Krukenberg, A. Dreier, J. Reitner, C. Heller, and M. Hoppert, “Detection of metabolic key enzymes of methane turnover processes in cold seep microbial biofilms,” Geomicrobiology Journal, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 214–227, 2013.
- S. Rospert, D. Linder, J. Ellermann, and R. K. Thauer, “Two genetically distinct methyl-coenzyme M reductases in Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum strain Marburg and delta H,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 194, no. 3, pp. 871–877, 1990.
- A. Lehmacher and H. P. Klenk, “Characterization and phylogeny of mcrII, a gene cluster encoding an isoenzyme of methyl coenzyme M reductase from hyperthermophilic Methanothermus fervidus,” Molecular and General Genetics, vol. 243, no. 2, pp. 198–206, 1994.
- C. J. Bult, O. White, G. J. Olsen et al., “Complete genome sequence of the Methanogenic archaeon, Methanococcus jannaschii,” Science, vol. 273, no. 5278, pp. 1058–1073, 1996.
- E. Springer, M. S. Sachs, C. R. Woese, and D. R. Boone, “Partial gene sequences for the A subunit of methyl-coenzyme M reductase (mcrI) as a phylogenetic tool for the family Methanosarcinaceae,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 554–559, 1995.
- R. Jaenchen, H. H. Gilles, and R. K. Thauer, “Inhibition of factor F430 synthesis by levulinic acid in Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 167–170, 1981.
- K. U. Hinrichs, J. M. Hayes, S. P. Sylva, P. G. Brewert, and E. F. DeLong, “Methane-consuming archaebacteria in marine sediments,” Nature, vol. 398, no. 6730, pp. 802–805, 1999.
- V. J. Orphan, C. H. House, K. U. Hinrichs, K. D. McKeegan, and E. F. DeLong, “Methane-consuming archaea revealed by directly coupled isotopic and phylogenetic analysis,” Science, vol. 293, no. 5529, pp. 484–487, 2001.
- M. Hoppert and F. Mayer, “Principles of macromolecular organization and cell function in bacteria and archaea,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 247–284, 1999.