- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Anatomy Research International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 287860, 17 pages
Slice-to-Volume Nonrigid Registration of Histological Sections to MR Images of the Human Brain
1Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
2204 Rockwell Engineering Center, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-2755, USA
Received 15 June 2010; Revised 12 August 2010; Accepted 8 September 2010
Academic Editor: Feng C. Zhou
Copyright © 2011 Sergey Osechinskiy and Frithjof Kruggel. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Van den Hauwe, P. M. Parizel, J.-J. Martin, P. Cras, P. De Deyn, and A. M. A. De Schepper, “Postmortem MRI of the brain with neuropathological correlation,” Neuroradiology, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 343–349, 1995.
- L. Bronge, N. Bogdanovic, and L.-O. Wahlund, “Postmortem MRI and histopathology of white matter changes in Alzheimer brains: a quantitative, comparative study,” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 205–212, 2002.
- T.-S. Kim, M. Singh, W. Sungkarat, C. Zarow, and H. Chui, “Automatic registration of postmortem brain slices to MRI reference volume,” IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1607–1613, 2000.
- T. Schormann and K. Zilles, “Three-dimensional linear and nonlinear transformations: an integration of light microscopical and MRI data,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 6, no. 5-6, pp. 339–347, 1998.
- F. Kruggel, M. K. Brückner, T. Arendt, C. J. Wiggins, and D. Y. von Cramon, “Analyzing the neocortical fine-structure,” in Proceedings of the Interational Conference on Information Processing in Medical Imaging (IPMI ’01), vol. 2082, pp. 239–245, 2001.
- F. Kruggel, “Techniques in analyzing the neocortical fine-structure,” in Medical Imaging Systems, C. T. Leondes, Ed., vol. 5, pp. 255–279, World Scientific Press, 2005.
- S. Eickhoff, N. B. Walters, A. Schleicher et al., “High-resolution MRI reflects myeloarchitecture and cytoarchitecture of human cerebral cortex,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 206–215, 2005.
- S. Ourselin, E. Bardinet, D. Dormont, et al., “Fusion of histological sections and MR images: towards the construction of an atlas of the human basal ganglia,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI’01), vol. 2208, pp. 743–751, 2001.
- T. Schormann, A. Dabringhaus, and K. Zilles, “Statistics of deformations in histology and application to improved alignment with MRI,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 1995.
- M. S. Mega, S. S. Chen, P. M. Thompson et al., “Mapping histology to metabolism: coregistration of stained whole-brain sections to premortem PET in Alzheimer's disease,” NeuroImage, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 147–153, 1997.
- E. Bardinet, S. Ourselin, D. Dormont, et al., “Co-registration of histological, optical and MR data of the human brain,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI ’02), vol. 2488, pp. 548–555, 2002.
- B. Fei, J. L. Duerk, D. T. Boll, J. S. Lewin, and D. L. Wilson, “Slice-to-volume registration and its potential application to interventional MRI-guided radio-frequency thermal ablation of prostate cancer,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 515–525, 2003.
- A. G. Chandler, T. Netsch, C. A. Cocosco, J. A. Schnabel, and D. J. Hawkes, “Slice-to-volume registration using mutual information between probabilistic image classifications,” in Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging—Medical Imaging, vol. 5370 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 1120–1129, 2004.
- W. Birkfellner, M. Figl, J. Kettenbach et al., “Rigid 2D/3D slice-to-volume registration and its application on fluoroscopic CT images,” Medical Physics, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 246–255, 2007.
- M. A. Jacobs, J. P. Windham, H. Soltanian-Zadeh, D. J. Peck, and R. A. Knight, “Registration and warping of magnetic resonance images to histological sections,” Medical Physics, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1568–1578, 1999.
- S. Gefen, L. Bertrand, N. Kiryati, and J. Nissanov, “Localization of sections within the brain via 2D to 3D image registration,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP ’05), vol. 2, pp. 733–736, 2005.
- F. L. Bookstein, “Principal warps: thin-plate splines and the decomposition of deformations,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 11, pp. 567–585, 1992.
- J. Kohlrausch, K. Rohr, and H. S. Stiehl, “A new class of elastic body splines for nonrigid registration of medical images,” Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 253–280, 2005.
- D. Rueckert, L. I. Sonoda, C. Hayes, D. L. Hill, M. O. Leach, and D. J. Hawkes, “Nonrigid registration using free-form deformations: application to breast mr images,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 712–721, 1999.
- G. Donato and S. Belongie, “Approximate thin plate spline mappings,” in Proceedings of the European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV’02), vol. 2352, pp. 21–31, 2002.
- K. Rohr, H. S. Stiehl, R. Sprengel, T. M. Buzug, J. Weese, and M. H. Kuhn, “Landmark-based elastic registration using approximating thin-plate splines,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 526–534, 2001.
- S. Wörz and K. Rohr, “Physics-based elastic image regsitration using splines and including landmark localization uncertainties,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI '06), vol. 4191, pp. 678–685, 2006.
- M. Holden, “A review of geometric transformations for nonrigid body registration,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 111–128, 2008.
- J. Kybic and M. Unser, “Fast parametric elastic image registration,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1427–1442, 2003.
- P. Thévenaz, T. Blu, and M. Unser, “Interpolation revisited,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 739–758, 2000.
- M. Holden, D. L. G. Hill, E. R. E. Denton et al., “Voxel similarity measures for 3-D serial MR brain image registration,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 94–102, 2000.
- D. L. G. Hill and D. J. Hawkes, “Across-modality registration using intensity-based cost functions,” in Handbook of Medical Imaging, I. Bankman, Ed., pp. 537–553, Academic Press, 2000.
- F. Maes, A. Collignon, D. Vandermeulen, G. Marchal, and P. Suetens, “Multimodality image registration by maximization of mutual information,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 187–198, 1997.
- C. Studholme, D. L. G. Hill, and D. J. Hawkes, “An overlap invariant entropy measure of 3D medical image alignment,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 71–86, 1999.
- T. Netsch, P. Rösch, A. Van Muiswinkel, and J. Weese, “Towards real-time multi-modality 3-D medical image registration,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 1, pp. 718–725, 2001.
- W. H. Press, S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes in C++: The Art of Scientific Computing, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2002.
- A. Roche, G. Malandain, X. Pennec, and N. Ayache, “The correlation ratio as a new similarity measure for multimodal image registration,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI '98), vol. 1496, pp. 1115–1124, 1998.
- M. J. D. Powell, “The NEWUOA software for unconstrained optimization without derivatives,” Tech. Rep. NA2004/08, Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, Numerical Analysis group, 2004.
- D. E. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley Professional, Reading, Mass, USA, 1989.
- R. Storn and K. Price, “Differential evolution—a simple and efficient heuristic for global optimization over continuous spaces,” Journal of Global Optimization, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 341–359, 1997.
- F. Maes, D. Vandermeulen, and P. Suetens, “Comparative evaluation of multiresolution optimization strategies for multimodality image registration by maximization of mutual information,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 373–386, 1999.
- P. Thévenaz and M. Unser, “Optimization of mutual information for multiresolution image registration,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 2083–2099, 2000.
- N. Wiest-Daesslé, P. Yger, S. Prima, and C. Barillot, “Evaluation of a new optimisation algorithm for rigid registration of MRI data,” in Medical Imaging, vol. 6512 of Proceedings of SPIE, 2007.
- N. Wiest-Daesslé, S. Prima, S. P. Morrissey, and C. Barillot, “Validation of a new optimisation algorithm for registration tasks in medical imaging,” in Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI '07), vol. 1, pp. 41–44, April 2007.
- J. Ashburner and K. J. Friston, “Nonlinear spatial normalization using basis functions,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 254–266, 1999.
- A. Andronache, M. von Siebenthal, G. Székely, and P. H. Cattin, “Non-rigid registration of multi-modal images using both mutual information and cross-correlation,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 3–15, 2008.
- D. L. G. Hill, P. G. Batchelor, M. Holden, and D. J. Hawkes, “Medical image registration,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. R1–R45, 2001.
- G. Lohmann and F. Kruggel, “Extracting lines of maximal depth from MR images of the human brain,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR '96), vol. 3, pp. 518–522, 1996.