- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Anatomy Research International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 351217, 7 pages
Development and Congenital Anomalies of the Pancreas
1Department of Gastroenterology, Asakadai Central Hospital, 1-8-10 Nishibenzai, Asaka, Saitama 351-2055, Japan
2Department of Human Pathology, Juntendo University, 2-1-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8421, Japan
Received 16 December 2010; Accepted 28 February 2011
Academic Editor: Farzad Esni
Copyright © 2011 Hiroyuki Tadokoro et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. T. Lewis, “The bi-lobed form of the ventral pancreas in mammals,” American Journal of Anatomy, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 389–400, 1911.
- P. N. Odgers, “Some observations on the development of the ventral pancreas in man,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 65, part 1, pp. 1–7, 1930.
- Zimmermann, “Rekonstruktionen eines menschlichen embryos von 7 mm,” Verhandlungen der Anatomischen Gesellschaft, vol. 4, pp. 139–142, 1889.
- W. Felix, “Zur leber- und pankreasentwicklung,” Archiv für Anatomie und Entwicklungslehre, pp. 281–323, 1892.
- A. Debeyre, “Les premières ebquches du pqncreqs chez lebryon humain,” Bibliographie Anatomique, vol. 18, pp. 249–256, 1909.
- N. W. Ingalls, “Beschreibung eines menschlichen Embryos von 4.9 mm,” Archiv für Mikroskopische Anatomie, vol. 70, pp. 506–576, 1907.
- A. Jankelowitz, “Ein junger menschlicher embryo und die entwicklung des pankreas bei demselben,” Archiv für Mikroskopische Anatomie, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 702–708, 1895.
- H. Tadokoro, M. Suyama, Y. Kubokawa, and J. K. Sai, “Persistence of the left part of the ventral pancreas may cause congenital biliary dilatation,” Pancreas, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 47–51, 2003.
- E. Lammert, O. Cleaver, and D. Melton, “Induction of pancreatic differentiation by signals from blood vessels,” Science, vol. 294, no. 5542, pp. 564–567, 2001.
- O. G. Kelly and D. A. Melton, “Development of the pancreas in Xenopus laevis,” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 218, no. 4, pp. 615–627, 2000.
- S. K. Kim, M. Hebrok, and D. A. Melton, “Pancreas development in the chick embryo,” Cold Spring Harbor Symposia on Quantitative Biology, vol. 62, pp. 377–383, 1997.
- J. M. Slack, “Developmental biology of the pancreas,” Development, vol. 121, no. 6, pp. 1569–1580, 1995.
- The Japanese Study Group on Pancreaticobiliary Maljunction, “Diagnostic criteria of pancreaticobiliary maljunction,” Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 219–221, 1994.
- H. Tadokoro, M. Takase, and B. Nobukawa, “Unusual fusion between ventral and dorsal primordia causes anomalous pancreaticobiliary junction,” Pathology International, vol. 58, no. 8, pp. 498–502, 2008.
- P. D. Kiernan, S. G. ReMine, P. C. Kiernan, and W. H. ReMine, “Annular pancreas: may clinic experience from 1957 to 1976 with review of the literature,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 46–50, 1980.
- K. J. Mortelé, T. C. Rocha, J. L. Streeter, and A. J. Taylor, “Multimodality imaging of pancreatic and biliary congenital anomalies,” Radiographics, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 715–731, 2006.
- R. J. Rizzo, R. A. Szucs, and M. A. Turner, “Congenital abnormalities of the pancreas and biliary tree in adults,” Radiographics, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 49–68, 1995.
- K. E. Bani-Hani, “Agenesis of the gallbladder: difficulties in management,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 671–675, 2005.
- A. Stoss, “Zur Entwickelungsgeschichte des Pankreas,” Anatomischer Anzeiger, pp. 666–669, 1891.
- B. Choronshitzky, “Die Entstehung der Milz, Leber, Gallenblase, Bauchspeicheldrüse und des Pfortadersystems bei den verschiedenen Abteilungen der Wirbeltiere,” Anatomische Hefte. I. Abteilung, vol. 39, pp. 33–40, 1900.
- K. Helly, “Zur pankreasentwickelung der säugethiere,” Archiv für Mikroskopische Anatomie, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 271–335, 1901.
- F. Malaisse-Lagae, Y. Stefan, J. Cox, et al., “Identification of a lobe in the adult human pancreas rich in pancreatic polypeptide,” Diabetologia, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 361–365, 1979.
- J. E. Skandalakis, S. W. Gray, R. Ricketts, et al., “The extrahepatic biliary ducts and the gallbladder,” in Embryology for Surgeons, S. W. Gray and J. E. Skandalakis, Eds., pp. 296–333, W.B. Saunders, London, UK, 1972.
- K. Kimura, M. Ohto, H. Saisho, et al., “Association of gallbladder carcinoma and anomalous pancreaticobiliary ductal union,” Gastroenterology, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 1258–1265, 1985.
- S. P. Misra, P. Gulati, V. K. Thorat, J. C. Vij, and B. S. Anand, “Pancreaticobiliary ductal union in biliary diseases. An endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatographic study,” Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 907–912, 1989.
- M. Sugiyama, M. Baba, Y. Atomi, H. Hanaoka, Y. Mizutani, and J. Hachiya, “Diagnosis of anomalous pancreaticobiliary junction: value of magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography,” Surgery, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. 391–397, 1998.
- T. Nomura, Y. Shirai, N. Sandoh, S. Nagakura, and K. Hatakeyama, “Cholangiographic criteria for anomalous union of the pancreatic and biliary ducts,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 204–208, 2002.
- T. Uchida, T. Takada, B. J. Ammori, K. Suda, and T. Takahashi, “Three-dimensional reconstruction of the ventral and dorsal pancreas: a new insight into anatomy and embryonic development,” Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 176–180, 1999.
- Y. Sakamoto, M. Nagai, N. Tanaka et al., “Anatomical segmentectomy of the head of the pancreas along the embryological fusion plane: a feasible procedure?” Surgery, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 822–831, 2000.
- H. Tadokoro, T. Kozu, F. Toki, M. Kobayashi, and N. Hayashi, “Embryological fusion between the ducts of the ventral and dorsal primordia of the pancreas occurs in two manners,” Pancreas, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 407–414, 1997.
- T. Kamisawa, M. Koike, and A. Okamoto, “Embryology of the pancreatic duct system,” Digestion, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 161–165, 1999.
- T. Todani, Y. Watanabe, M. Narusue, et al., “Congenital bile duct cysts: classification, operative procedures, and review of thirty-seven cases including cancer arising from choledochal cyst,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 134, no. 2, pp. 263–269, 1977.
- F. Alonso-Lej, W. B. Rever Jr., and D. J. Pessagno, “Congenital choledochal cyst, with a report of 2, and an analysis of 94, cases,” International Abstract of Surgery, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 1–30, 1959.
- M. Yamaguchi, “Congenital choledochal cyst. Analysis of 1,433 patients in the Japanese literature,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 653–657, 1980.
- T. Miyano and A. Yamataka, “Choledochal cysts,” Current Opinion in Pediatrics, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 283–288, 1997.
- M. J. Weyant, M. A. Maluccio, M. M. Bertagnolli, and J. M. Daly, “Choledochal cysts in adults: a report of two cases and review of the literature,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 2580–2583, 1998.
- M. Mercadier, J. P. Chigot, J. P. Clot, et al., “Caroli's disease,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 22–29, 1984.
- B. C. Visser, I. Suh, L. W. Way et al., “Congenital choledochal cysts in adults,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 139, no. 8, pp. 855–862, 2004.
- F. T. Lewis, “The development of the liver,” in Manual of Human Embryology II, F. Keibel and F. P. Mall, Eds., pp. 403–428, J.B. Lippincott, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1910.
- Y. Matsumoto, H. Fujii, J. Itakura, M. Matsuda, B. Nobukawa, and K. Suda, “Recent advances in pancreaticobiliary maljunction,” Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 45–54, 2002.
- O. Kato, K. Hattori, T. Suzuki, et al., “Clinical significance of anomalous pancreaticobiliary union,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 94–98, 1983.
- S. P. Misra and M. Dwivedi, “Pancreaticobiliary ductal union,” Gut, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1144–1149, 1990.
- S. Yamauchi, A. Koga, S. Matsumoto, et al., “Anomalous junction of pancreaticobiliary duct without congenital choledochal cyst: a possible risk factor for gallbladder cancer,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 20–24, 1987.
- E. Nagata, K. Sakai, H. Kinoshita, and Y. Kobayashi, “The relation between carcinoma of the gallbladder and an anomalous connection between the choledochus and the pancreatic duct,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 202, no. 2, pp. 182–190, 1985.
- T. Funabiki, T. Matsubara, S. Miyakawa, and S. Ishihara, “Pancreaticobiliary maljunction and carcinogenesis to biliary and pancreatic malignancy,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 394, no. 1, pp. 159–169, 2009.
- Y. Matsumoto, H. Fujii, J. Itakura et al., “Pancreaticobiliary maljunction: etiologic concepts based on radiologic aspects,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 614–619, 2001.
- K. C. Wong and J. Lister, “Human fetal development of the hepato-pancreatic duct junction—a possible explanation of congenital dilatation of the biliary tract,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 139–145, 1981.
- N. Lainakis, S. Antypas, A. Panagidis et al., “Annular pancreas in two consecutive siblings: an extremely rare case,” European Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 364–368, 2005.
- F. Gress, A. Yiengpruksawan, S. Sherman et al., “Diagnosis of annular pancreas by endoscopic ultrasound,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 485–489, 1996.
- K. Sandrasegaran, A. Patel, E. L. Fogel, N. J. Zyromski, and H. A. Pitt, “Annular pancreas in adults,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 193, no. 2, pp. 455–460, 2009.
- M. M. Ravitch and A. C. Woods Jr., “Annular pancreas,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 1116–1127, 1950.
- T. M. Lecco, “Zur morphologie des pankreas annulare,” Sitzungsberichte der Heidelberger Akademie der Wissenschaften, vol. 119, pp. 391–406, 1910.
- W. A. Baldwin, “A specimen of annular pancreas,” The Anatomical Record, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 299–304, 1910.
- F. Sessa, R. Fiocca, P. Tenti, et al., “Pancreatic polypeptide rich tissue in the annular pancreas. A distinctive feature of ventral primordium derivatives,” Virchows Archiv a Pathological Anatomy and Histology, vol. 399, no. 2, pp. 227–232, 1983.
- K. Suda, “Immunohistochemical and gross dissection studies of annular pancreas,” Acta Pathologica Japonica, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 505–508, 1990.
- F. P. Agha and K. D. Williams, “Pancreas divisum: incidence, detection, and clinical significance,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 315–320, 1987.
- G. A. Lehman and S. Sherman, “Diagnosis and therapy of pancreas divisum,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 55–77, 1998.
- D. E. Morgan, K. Logan, T. H. Baron, R. E. Koehler, and J. K. Smith, “Pancreas divisum: implications for diagnostic and therapeutic pancreatography,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 173, no. 1, pp. 193–198, 1999.
- J. A. Soto, B. C. Lucey, and J. W. Stuhlfaut, “Pancreas divisum: depiction with multi-detector row CT,” Radiology, vol. 235, no. 2, pp. 503–508, 2005.
- T. Kamisawa, T. Yuyang, N. Egawa, J. I. Ishiwata, and A. Okamoto, “A new embryologic hypothesis of annular pancreas,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 48, no. 37, pp. 277–278, 2001.
- B. Nobukawa, M. Otaka, K. Suda, H. Fujii, Y. Matsumoto, and T. Miyano, “An annular pancreas derived from paired ventral pancreata, supporting Baldwin's hypothesis,” Pancreas, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 408–410, 2000.
- P. B. Cotton, “Congenital anomaly of pancreas divisum as cause of obstructive pain and pancreatitis,” Gut, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 105–114, 1980.
- A. L. Warshaw, J. Simeone, R. H. Schapiro, et al., “Objective evaluation of ampullary stenosis with ultrasonography and pancreatic stimulation,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. 65–72, 1985.
- S. A. Cohen, F. D. Rutkovsky, J. H. Siegel, and F. E. Kasmin, “Endoscopic stenting and sphincterotomy of the minor papilla in symptomatic pancreas divisum: results and complications,” Diagnostic and Therapeutic Endoscopy, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 131–139, 1995.