- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Anatomy Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 490390, 6 pages
A Closer Look at Laryngeal Nerves during Thyroid Surgery: A Descriptive Study of 584 Nerves
Department of Endocrine Surgery, Narayana Medical College & Superspeciality Hospital, Chinthareddypalem, Nellore 524002, India
Received 8 February 2012; Revised 19 March 2012; Accepted 9 April 2012
Academic Editor: Ayhan Comert
Copyright © 2012 P. V. Pradeep et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. D. Bliss, P. G. Gauger, and L. W. Delbridge, “Surgeon's approach to the thyroid gland: surgical anatomy and the importance of technique,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 891–897, 2000.
- W. W. Greene, “Three cases of bronchocele successfully removed,” American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 121, article 80, 1871.
- E. N. Aina and A. N. Hisham, “External Laryngeal Nerve in thyroid surgery: recognition and surgical implications,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 212–214, 2001.
- C. R. Cernea, A. R. Ferraz, S. Nishio, A. Dutra Jr., F. C. Hojaij, and L. R. M. dos Santos, “Surgical anatomy of the external branch of the superior laryngeal nerve,” Head and Neck, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 380–383, 1992.
- L. Delbridge, T. S. Reeve, M. Khadra, and A. G. Poole, “Total thyroidectomy: the technique of capsular dissection,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 96–99, 1992.
- F. A. Coller and A. M. Boyden, “The development of technique of thyroidectomy: presentation of method used in university hospital,” Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics, vol. 65, article 495, 1937.
- D. A. Moosman and M. S. de Weese, “The external laryngeal nerve as related to thyroidectomy,” Surgery Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 127, no. 5, pp. 1011–1016, 1968.
- M. Friedman, P. LoSavio, and H. Ibrahim, “Superior laryngeal nerve identification and preservation in thyroidectomy,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 296–303, 2002.
- B. Yalacin, R. S. Tubbs, A. Durmaz et al., “Branching pattern of the external branch of the superior laryngeal nerve and its clinical importance,” Clinical Anatomy, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 32–39, 2012.
- S. Lennquist, C. Cahlin, and S. Smeds, “The superior laryngeal nerve in thyroid surgery,” Surgery, vol. 102, no. 6, pp. 999–1008, 1987.
- J. Visset, J. Leborgne, and J. Y. Barbin, “The external laryngeal nerve,” Bulletin de l'Association des Anatomistes, vol. 59, no. 167, pp. 1001–1012, 1975.
- M. R. Pelizzo, A. Toniato, and G. Gemo, “Zuckerkandl's tuberculum: an arrow pointing to the recurrent laryngeal nerve (constant anatomical landmark),” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 187, no. 3, pp. 333–336, 1998.
- A. C. Kierner, M. Aigner, and M. Burian, “The external branch of the superior laryngeal nerve: its topographical anatomy as related to surgery of the neck,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 301–303, 1998.
- P. Whitfield, R. P. Morton, and S. Al-Ali, “Surgical anatomy of the external branch of the superior laryngeal nerve,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 813–816, 2010.
- S. Ozlugedik, H. I. Acar, N. Apaydin, I. Tekdemir, A. Elhan, and A. Comert, “Surgical anatomy of the external branch of the superior laryngeal nerve,” Clinical Anatomy, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 387–391, 2007.
- A. Mishra, H. Temadari, N. Singh, S. Mishra, and A. Agarwal, “The external laryngeal nerve in thyroid surgery: rhe “no more neglected” nerve,” Indian Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 3–7, 2007.
- F. Estrela, H. Z. Leão, and G. P. Jotz, “Anatomic relation between the external branch of the superior laryngeal nerve and the thyroid gland,” Brazilian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 249–258, 2011.
- E. L. Kaplan, G. I. Salti, M. Roncella, N. Fulton, and M. Kadowaki, “History of the recurrent laryngeal nerve: from Galen to Lahey,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 386–393, 2009.
- C. R. Cernea, F. V. C. Hojaij, D. de Carlucci Jr. et al., “Recurrent laryngeal nerve: a plexus rather than a nerve?” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 135, no. 11, pp. 1098–1102, 2009.
- J. W. Serpell, M. J. Yeung, and S. Grodski, “The motor fibers of the recurrent laryngeal nerve are located in the anterior extralaryngeal branch,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 249, no. 4, pp. 648–652, 2009.
- C. Casella, G. Pata, R. Nascimbeni, F. Mittempergher, and B. Salerni, “Does extralaryngeal branching have an impact on the rate of postoperative transient or permanent recurrent laryngeal nerve palsy?” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 261–265, 2009.
- N. L. Lekacos, P. J. Tzardis, P. G. Sfikakis, S. D. Patoulis, and S. D. Restos, “Course of the recurrent laryngeal nerve relative to the inferior thyroid artery and the suspensory ligament of Berry,” International Surgery, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 287–288, 1992.
- D. Berlin, “The recurrent laryngeal nerve in total ablation of the normal thyroid gland,” Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics, vol. 60, pp. 19–26, 1935.
- C. K. Leow and A. J. Webb, “The Lateral Thyroid Ligament of Berry,” International Surgery, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 75–78, 1998.
- T. R. Kumar, P. V. Pradeep, and M. Ragavan, “Bilobar thyroid agenesis presenting with qdenomatous isthmus and hypothyroidism in a 13 year old girl: a case report,” Journal of Pediatric Sciences, vol. 2, no. 2, article e21, 2010.