- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Anesthesiology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 207598, 5 pages
Lung Separation in the Morbidly Obese Patient
Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa Healthcare, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Received 26 July 2011; Revised 14 October 2011; Accepted 4 November 2011
Academic Editor: Lebron Cooper
Copyright © 2012 Javier H. Campos and Kenichi Ueda. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. H. Campos, “Progress in lung separation,” Thoracic Surgery Clinics, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 71–83, 2005.
- H. E. Mungroop, P. T. Y. Wai, M. N. Morei, B. G. Loef, and A. H. Epema, “Lung isolation with a new Y-shaped endobronchial blocking device, the EZ-Blocker,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 119–120, 2010.
- J. H. Campos and K. H. Kernstine, “A comparison of a left-sided Broncho-Cath® with the torque control blocker Univent and the wire-guided blocker,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 283–289, 2003.
- M. Narayanaswamy, K. McRae, P. Slinger et al., “Choosing a lung isolation device for thoracic surgery: a randomized trial of three bronchial blockers versus double-lumen tubes,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 1097–1101, 2009.
- J. H. Campos, E. A. Hallam, and K. Ueda, “Comparison of a left-sided double-lumen tube with the Arndt blocker in the morbidly obese patient,” Anesthesiology, ASA abstract, 2009.
- M. L. Baskin, J. Ard, F. Franklin, and D. B. Allison, “National prevalence of obesity: prevalence of obesity in the United States,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 5–7, 2005.
- M. S. Kristensen, “Airway management and morbid obesity,” European Journal of Anaesthesiology, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 923–927, 2010.
- J. B. Brodsky, H. J. M. Lemmens, J. G. Brock-Utne, M. Vierra, and L. J. Saidman, “Morbid obesity and tracheal intubation,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 732–736, 2002.
- M. C. Vallejo, “Anesthetic management of the morbidly obese parturient,” Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 175–180, 2007.
- W. Abdi, S. Ndoko, R. Amathieu, and G. Dhonneur, “Evidence of pulmonary aspiration during difficult airway management of a morbidly obese patient with the LMA CTrach™,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 275–277, 2008.
- J. H. Campos, “Which device should be considered the best for lung isolation: double-lumen endotracheal tube versus bronchial blockers,” Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 27–31, 2007.
- I. L. Mortimore, I. Marshall, P. K. Wraith, R. J. Sellar, and N. J. Douglas, “Neck and total body fat deposition in nonobese and obese patients with sleep apnea compared with that in control subjects,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 280–283, 1998.
- J. L. Benumof, “Obesity, sleep apnea, the airway and anesthesia,” Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 21–30, 2004.
- A. Santiago-Recuerda, F. J. Gómez-Terreros, P. Caballero et al., “Relationship between the upper airway and obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome in morbidly obese women,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 689–697, 2007.
- F. Collet, A. Mallart, J. F. Bervar et al., “Physiologic correlates of dyspnea in patients with morbid obesity,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 700–706, 2007.
- D. Costa, M. C. Barbalho, G. P. S. Miguel, E. M. P. Forti, and J. L. M. C. Azevedo, “The impact of obesity on pulmonary function in adult women,” Clinics, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 719–724, 2008.
- A. Koutsoukou, N. Koulouris, B. Bekos et al., “Expiratory flow limitation in morbidly obese postoperative mechanically ventilated patients,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 1080–1088, 2004.
- T. Ezri, B. Medalion, M. Weisenberg, P. Szmuk, R. D. Warters, and I. Charuzi, “Increased body mass index per se is not a predictor of difficult laryngoscopy,” Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 179–183, 2003.
- R. J. Meyer, “Obesity and difficult intubation,” Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 314–315, 1994.
- R. A. Caplan, J. L. Benumof, F. A. Berry et al., “Practice guidelines for management of the difficult airway: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Management of the Difficult Airway,” Anesthesiology, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 1269–1277, 2003.
- G. S. Voyagis, K. P. Kyriakis, V. Dimitriou, and I. Vrettou, “Value of oropharyngeal Mallampati classification in predicting difficult laryngoscopy among obese patients,” European Journal of Anaesthesiology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 330–334, 1998.
- J. Lohser, V. Kulkarni, and J. B. Brodsky, “Anesthesia for thoracic surgery in morbidly obese patients,” Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 10–14, 2007.
- J. H. Campos, “Lung isolation techniques for patients with difficult airway,” Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 12–17, 2010.
- S. K. Ndoko, R. Amathieu, L. Tual et al., “Tracheal intubation of morbidly obese patients: a randomized trial comparing performance of Macintosh and Airtraq™ laryngoscopes,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 263–268, 2008.
- G. Dhonneur, S. K. Ndoko, A. Yavchitz et al., “Tracheal intubation of morbidly obese patients: LMA CTrach™ vs direct laryngoscopy,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 742–745, 2006.
- K. Ruetzler, G. Grubhofer, W. Schmid et al., “Randomized clinical trial comparing double-lumen tube and EZ-Blocker for single-lung ventilation,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 896–902, 2011.
- E. Cohen, “Pro: the new bronchial blockers are preferable to double-lumen tubes for lung isolation,” Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 920–924, 2008.
- J. H. Campos, “Update on tracheobronchial anatomy and flexible fiberoptic bronchoscopy in thoracic anesthesia,” Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 4–10, 2009.
- K. A. Thielmeier and M. Anwar, “Complication of the univent tube,” Anesthesiology, vol. 84, no. 2, p. 491, 1996.
- R. G. Soto and S. P. Oleszak, “Resection of the Arndt Bronchial Blocker during stapler resection of the left lower lobe,” Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 131–132, 2006.
- O. Langeron, E. Masso, C. Huraux et al., “Prediction of difficult mask ventilation,” Anesthesiology, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 1229–1236, 2000.
- P. Pelosi, M. Croci, I. Ravagnan et al., “The effects of body mass on lung volumes, respiratory mechanics, and gas exchange during general anesthesia,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 654–660, 1998.