- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Anesthesiology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 968642, 5 pages
Airway Tube Exchanger Techniques in Morbidly Obese Patients
Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Received 26 July 2011; Revised 27 October 2011; Accepted 7 November 2011
Academic Editor: Lebron Cooper
Copyright © 2012 Danai Udomtecha. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Wang and M. A. Beydoun, “The obesity epidemic in the United States—gender, age, socioeconomic, racial/ethnic, and geographic characteristics: a systematic review and meta-regression analysis,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 6–28, 2007.
- “NCHS Health E-Stat: Prevalence of Overweight, Obesity, and Extreme Obesity Among Adults: United States, Trends 1960–1962 Through 2007-2008,” 2011, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity_adult_07_08/obesity_adult_07_08.htm.
- P. Juvin, E. Lavaut, H. Dupont et al., “Difficult tracheal intubation is more common in obese than in lean patients,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 595–600, 2003.
- H. Gonzalez, V. Minville, K. Delanoue, M. Mazerolles, D. Concina, and O. Fourcade, “The importance of increased neck circumference to intubation difficulties in obese patients,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 1132–1136, 2008.
- T. Ezri, B. Medalion, M. Weisenberg, P. Szmuk, R. D. Warters, and I. Charuzi, “Increased body mass index per se is not a predictor of difficult laryngoscopy,” Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 179–183, 2003.
- L. H. Lundstrøm, A. M. Møller, C. Rosenstock, G. Astrup, and J. Wetterslev, “High body mass index is a weak predictor for difficult and failed tracheal intubation: a cohort study of 91,332 consecutive patients scheduled for direct laryngoscopy registered in the danish anesthesia database,” Anesthesiology, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 266–274, 2009.
- J. B. Brodsky, H. J. M. Lemmens, J. G. Brock-Utne, M. Vierra, and L. J. Saidman, “Morbid obesity and tracheal intubation,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 732–736, 2002.
- P. J. Neligan, S. Porter, B. Max, G. Malhotra, E. P. Greenblatt, and E. A. Ochroch, “Obstructive sleep apnea is not a risk factor for difficult intubation in morbidly obese patients,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 1182–1186, 2009.
- H. G. Jense, S. A. Dubin, P. I. Silverstein, and U. O'Leary-Escolas, “Effect of obesity on safe duration of apnea in anesthetized humans,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 89–93, 1991.
- P. Pelosi, M. Croci, I. Ravagnan et al., “Respiratory system mechanics in sedated, paralyzed, morbidly obese patients,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 811–818, 1997.
- J. A. Dempsey, W. Reddan, B. Balke, and J. Rankin, “Work capacity determinants and physiologic cost of weight-supported work in obesity,” Journal of applied physiology, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1815–1820, 1966.
- C. A. Hagberg, C. Vogt-Harenkamp, and J. Kamal, “A retrospective analysis of airway management in obese patients at a teaching institution,” Journal of Clinical Anesthesia, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 348–351, 2009.
- J. S. Collins, H. J. M. Lemmens, J. B. Brodsky, J. G. Brock-Utne, and R. M. Levitan, “Laryngoscopy and morbid obesity: a comparison of the "sniff" and "ramped" positions,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 1171–1175, 2004.
- S. L. Rao, A. R. Kunselman, H. G. Schuler, and S. Desharnais, “Laryngoscopy and tracheal intubation in the head-elevated position in obese patients: a randomized, controlled, equivalence trial,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 1912–1918, 2008.
- J. M. Rich, “Use of an elevation pillow to produce the head-elevated laryngoscopy position for airway management in morbidly obese and large-framed patients,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 264–265, 2004.
- S. D. Gaughan, J. L. Benumof, and G. T. Ozaki, “Quantification of the jet function of a jet stylet,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 580–585, 1992.
- C. Nunn, J. Uffman, and S. M. Bhananker, “Bilateral tension pneumothoraces following jet ventilation via an airway exchange catheter,” Journal of Anesthesia, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 76–79, 2007.
- D. S. McDonald and J. B. Liban, “A serious complication with an airway exchange catheter,” Clinical Intensive Care, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 36–37, 1997.
- A. S. Baraka, “Tension pneumothorax complicating jet ventilation via a cook airway exchange catheter,” Anesthesiology, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 557–558, 1999.
- L. V. Duggan, J. A. Law, and M. F. Murphy, “Brief review: supplementing oxygen through an airway exchange catheter: efficacy, complications, and recommendations,” Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 560–568, 2011.
- J. H. Campos, “Lung isolation techniques for patients with difficult airway,” Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 12–17, 2010.
- L. DeLima and M. Bishop, “Lung laceration after tracheal extubation over a plastic tube exchanger,” Anesthesia & Analgesia, vol. 73, pp. 350–351, 1991.
- V. Thomas and S. M. Neustein, “Tracheal laceration after the use of an airway exchange catheter for double-lumen tube placement,” Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 718–719, 2007.
- H. Makino, T. Katoh, S. Kobayashi, H. Bito, and S. Sato, “The effects of tracheal tube tip design and tube thickness on laryngeal pass ability during oral tube exchange with an introducer,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 285–288, 2003.
- T. Asai and K. Shingu, “Difficulty in advancing a tracheal tube over a fibreoptic bronchoscope: incidence, causes and solutions,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 870–881, 2004.
- from Parker Medical webpage, 2011, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parker-Medical-Inc/190208417691737?sk=photos.
- M. S. Kristensen, “The Parker Flex-Tip tube versus a standard tube for fiberoptic orotracheal intubation: a randomized double-blind study,” Anesthesiology, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 354–358, 2003.
- A. Suzuki, M. Uraoka, K. Kimura, and S. Sato, “Effects of using two airway exchange catheters on laryngeal passage during change from a double-lumen tracheal tube to a single-lumen tracheal tube,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 440–443, 2007.
- T. Katsnelson, E. A. M. Frost, E. Farcon, and P. L. Goldiner, “When the endotracheal tube will not pass over the flexible fiberoptic bronchoscope,” Anesthesiology, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 151–152, 1992.
- J. L. Benumof, “Airway exchange catheters: simple concept, potentially great danger,” Anesthesiology, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 342–344, 1999.
- S. Dogra, R. Falconer, and I. P. Latto, “Successful difficult intubation. Tracheal tube placement over a gum-elastic bougie,” Anaesthesia, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 774–776, 1990.
- C. E. Smith, D. Davenport, and A. Morscher, “Exchange of a double-lumen endobroncial tube using fier-optic laryngoscopy (WuScope) in a difficult intubation patient,” Journal of Clinical Anesthesia, vol. 18, p. 398, 2006.
- A. Chen, H. Y. Lai, P. C. Lin, T. Y. Chen, and M. H. Shyr, “GlideScope-assisted double-lumen endobronchial tube placement in a patient with an unanticipated difficult airway,” Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 170–172, 2008.
- K. H. Poon and E. H. C. Liu, “The Airway Scope for difficult double-lumen tube intubation,” Journal of Clinical Anesthesia, vol. 20, no. 4, p. 319, 2008.
- I. Bathory, J. C. Granges, P. Frascarolo, and L. Magnusson, “Evaluation of the video intubation unit in morbid obese patients,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 55–58, 2010.
- G. Dhonneur, W. Abdi, S. K. Ndoko et al., “Video-assisted versus conventional tracheal intubation in morbidly obese patients,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1096–1101, 2009.
- S. K. Ndoko, R. Amathieu, L. Tual et al., “Tracheal intubation of morbidly obese patients: a randomized trial comparing performance of Macintosh and Airtraq laryngoscopes,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 263–268, 2008.
- R. M. Browning and M. W. M. Rucklidge, “Tracheal intubation using the Pentax Airway Scope videolaryngoscope following failed direct laryngoscopy in a morbidly obese parturient,” International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 200–201, 2011.
- J. Marrel, C. Blanc, P. Frascarolo, and L. Magnusson, “Videolaryngoscopy improves intubation condition in morbidly obese patients,” European Journal of Anaesthesiology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1045–1049, 2007.