- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
AIDS Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 961510, 5 pages
Influence of Age and Neurotoxic HAART Use on Frequency of HIV Sensory Neuropathy
1Department of Medicine, Lagos State University College of Medicine, Lagos State, Nigeria
2Department of Hematology and Blood Transfusion, Lagos State University College of Medicine, Lagos State, Nigeria
3College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Idi-araba, Lagos State, Nigeria
Received 12 January 2012; Accepted 20 February 2012
Academic Editor: Guido Poli
Copyright © 2012 Olajumoke Oshinaike et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Schifitto, M. P. McDermott, J. C. McArthur et al., “Incidence of and risk factors for HIV-associated distal sensory polyneuropathy,” Neurology, vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 1764–1768, 2002.
- C. L. Cherry, J. C. McArthur, J. F. Hoy, and S. L. Wesselingh, “Nucleoside analogues and neuropathy in the era of HAART,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 195–207, 2003.
- C. L. Cherry, R. L. Skolasky, L. Lal et al., “Antiretroviral use and other risks for HIV-associated neuropathies in an international cohort,” Neurology, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 867–873, 2006.
- B. J. Brew, S. Tisch, and M. Law, “Lactate concentrations distinguish between nucleoside neuropathy and HIV neuropathy,” AIDS, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 1094–1096, 2003.
- R. D. Moore, W. M. E. Wong, J. C. Keruly, and J. C. McArthur, “Incidence of neuropathy in HIV-infected patients on monotherapy versus those on combination therapy with didanosine, stavudine and hydroxyurea,” AIDS, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 273–278, 2000.
- M. Tagliati, J. Grinnell, J. Godbold, and D. M. Simpson, “Peripheral nerve function in HIV infection: clinical, electrophysiologic, and laboratory findings,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 84–89, 1999.
- O. Parry, J. Mielke, A. S. Latif, S. Ray, L. F. Levy, and S. Siziya, “Peripheral neuropathy in individuals with HIV infection in Zimbabwe,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 218–222, 1997.
- C. Martin, G. Solders, A. Sönnerborg, and P. Hansson, “Antiretroviral therapy may improve sensory function in HIV-infected patients: a pilot study,” Neurology, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 2120–2127, 2000.
- G. Schifitto, M. P. McDermott, J. C. McArthur et al., “Markers of immune activation and viral load in HIV-associated sensory neuropathy,” Neurology, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 842–848, 2005.
- R. J. Ellis, D. Rosario, D. B. Clifford et al., “Continued high prevalence and adverse clinical impact of human immunodeficiency virus-associated sensory neuropathy in the era of combination antiretroviral therapy: the CHARTER study,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 552–558, 2010.
- S. Morgello, L. Estanislao, D. Simpson et al., “HIV-associated distal sensory polyneuropathy in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy: the Manhattan HIV Brain Bank,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 546–551, 2004.
- K. Smyth, J. S. Affandi, J. C. Mcarthur et al., “Prevalence of and risk factors for HIV-associated neuropathy in Melbourne, Australia 1993-2006,” HIV Medicine, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 367–373, 2007.
- T. Hulgan, D. W. Haas, J. L. Haines et al., “Mitochondrial haplogroups and peripheral neuropathy during antiretroviral therapy: an adult AIDS clinical trials group study,” AIDS, vol. 19, no. 13, pp. 1341–1349, 2005.
- A. R. Kallianpur, T. Hulgan, J. A. Canter et al., “Hemochromatosis (HFE) gene mutations and peripheral neuropathy during antiretroviral therapy,” AIDS, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1503–1513, 2006.
- C. Martina, G. Solders, A. Sönnerborg, and P. Hansson, “Painful and non-painful neuropathy in HIV-infected patients: an analysis of somatosensory nerve function,” European Journal of Pain, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 2003.
- J. S. Shurie and A. Deribew, “Assessment of the prevalence of distal symmetrical polyneuropathy and its risk factors among HAART-treated and untreated HIV infected individuals,” Ethiopian Medical Journal, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 85–93, 2010.
- A. Winston, J. McAllister, J. Amin, D. A. Cooper, and A. Carr, “The use of a triple nucleoside-nucleotide regimen for nonoccupational HIV post-exposure prophylaxis,” HIV Medicine, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 191–197, 2005.
- C. L. Cherry, A. Rosenow, J. S. Affandi, J. C. McArthur, S. L. Wesselingh, and P. Price, “Cytokine genotype suggests a role for inflammation in nucleoside analog-associated sensory neuropathy (NRTI-SN) and predicts an individual's NRTI-SN risk,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 117–123, 2008.
- K. A. Lichtenstein, C. Armon, A. Baron, A. C. Moorman, K. C. Wood, and S. D. Holmberg, “Modification of the incidence of drug-associated symmetrical peripheral neuropathy by host and disease factors in the HIV outpatient study cohort,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 148–157, 2005.
- A. R. Berger, J. C. Arezzo, H. H. Schaumburg et al., “2′,3′-Dideoxycytidine (ddC) toxic neuropathy: a study of 52 patients,” Neurology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 358–362, 1993.