- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 504189, 7 pages
The Effects of Bariatric Surgery Weight Loss on Knee Pain in Patients with Osteoarthritis of the Knee
1Penn State College of Medicine, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Penn State University, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
2Department of Surgery, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, 500 University Drive, MC H149, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
3Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, 30 Hope Drive, P.O. Box 859, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
4Department of Family and Community Medicine, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, 500 University Drive, H154, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
5Department of Health Evaluation Sciences, Penn State College of Medicine, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, 600 Centerview Drive, Suite 2200, P.O. Box 855, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
6Department of Radiology, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, 500 University Drive, H066, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Received 31 July 2012; Revised 26 September 2012; Accepted 18 October 2012
Academic Editor: Jiri Vencovsky
Copyright © 2012 Christopher Edwards et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. L. Ong, F. S. Mowat, N. Chan, E. Lau, M. T. Halpern, and S. M. Kurtz, “Economic burden of revision hip and knee arthroplasty in medicare enrollees,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 446, pp. 22–28, 2006.
- C. G. Helmick, D. T. Felson, R. C. Lawrence et al., “Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States. Part I,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 15–25, 2008.
- H. Kotlarz, C. L. Gunnarsson, H. Fang, and J. A. Rizzo, “Insurer and out-of-pocket costs of osteoarthritis in the US: evidence from national survey data,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 3546–3553, 2009.
- G. D. Miller, B. J. Nicklas, C. Davis, R. F. Loeser, L. Lenchik, and S. P. Messier, “Intensive weight loss program improves physical function in older obese adults with knee osteoarthritis,” Obesity, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 1219–1230, 2006.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, M. A. McDowell, and K. M. Flegal, “Obesity among adults in the United States—no change since 2003-2004,” NCHS Data Brief 1, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, Md, USA, 2007.
- E. Losina, R. P. Walensky, C. L. Kessler et al., “Cost-effectiveness of total knee arthroplasty in the United States: patient risk and hospital volume,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 169, no. 12, pp. 1113–1121, 2009.
- M. M. Hooper, T. A. Stellato, P. T. Hallowell, B. A. Seitz, and R. W. Moskowitz, “Musculoskeletal findings in obese subjects before and after weight loss following bariatric surgery,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 114–120, 2007.
- S. P. Messier, R. F. Loeser, G. D. Miller et al., “Exercise and dietary weight loss in overweight and obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis: the arthritis, diet, and activity promotion trial,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1501–1510, 2004.
- R. Christensen, A. Astrup, and H. Bliddal, “Weight loss: the treatment of choice for knee osteoarthritis? A randomized trial,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 20–27, 2005.
- R. Kijowski, D. Blankenbaker, P. Stanton, J. Fine, and A. De Smet, “Arthroscopic validation of radiographic grading scales of osteoarthritis of the tibiofemoral joint,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 187, no. 3, pp. 794–799, 2006.
- F. Angst, A. Aeschlimann, W. Steiner, and G. Stucki, “Responsiveness of the WOMAC osteoarthritis index as compared with the SF-36 in patients with osteoarthritis of the legs undergoing a comprehensive rehabilitation intervention,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 834–840, 2001.
- N. Bellamy, W. W. Buchanan, C. H. Goldsmith, J. Campbell, and L. W. Stitt, “Validation study of WOMAC: a health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes to antirheumatic drug therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1833–1840, 1988.
- E. M. Roos and S. Toksvig-Larsen, “Knee injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS)—validation and comparison to the WOMAC in total knee replacement,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 1, article 17, 2003.
- W. Zhang, G. Nuki, R. W. Moskowitz et al., “OARSI recommendations for the management of hip and knee osteoarthritis. Part III: Changes in evidence following systematic cumulative update of research published through January 2009,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 476–499, 2010.
- M. Peltonen, A. K. Lindroos, and J. S. Torgerson, “Musculoskeletal pain in the obese: a comparison with a general population and long-term changes after conventional and surgical obesity treatment,” Pain, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 549–557, 2003.
- L. Laine, “GI risk and risk factors of NSAIDs,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 47, supplement 1, pp. S60–S66, 2006.
- A. L. Blower, A. Brooks, G. C. Fenn et al., “Emergency admissions for upper gastrointestinal disease and their relation to NSAID use,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 283–291, 1997.
- R. A. Moore and C. J. Phillips, “Cost of NSAID adverse effects to the UK national health service,” Journal of Medical Economics, vol. 2, no. 45–55, pp. 45–55, 1999.
- R. E. Tarone, W. J. Blot, and J. K. McLaughlin, “Nonselective nonaspirin nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and gastrointestinal bleeding: relative and absolute risk estimates from recent epidemiologic studies,” American Journal of Therapeutics, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 17–25, 2004.
- J. S. Banthin and M. Zodet, “Trends in the use and expenditures for COX-2 inhibitors and traditional nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, 1997–2003,” Statistical Brief 139, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, Md, USA, 2006.
- G. G. Graham, R. I. Graham, and R. O. Day, “Comparative analgesia, cardiovascular and renal effects of celecoxib, rofecoxib and acetaminophen (paracetamol),” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 1063–1075, 2002.
- T. J. Aw, S. J. Haas, D. Liew, and H. Krum, “Meta-analysis of cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors and their effects on blood pressure,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 165, no. 5, pp. 490–496, 2005.
- N. Bellamy, J. Campbell, V. Robinson, T. Gee, R. Bourne, and G. Wells, “Viscosupplementation for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 19, no. 2, Article ID CD005321, 2006.
- J. R. Watterson and J. M. Esdaile, “Viscosupplementation: therapeutic mechanisms and clinical potential in osteoarthritis of the knee,” The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 277–284, 2000.
- J. Bruce Moseley, K. O'Malley, N. J. Petersen et al., “A controlled trial of arthroscopic surgery for osteoarthritis of the knee,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 2, pp. 81–88, 2002.
- S. Kurtz, K. Ong, E. Lau, F. Mowat, and M. Halpern, “Projections of primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States from 2005 to 2030,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 780–785, 2007.