- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 125485, 10 pages
Efficacy and Effectiveness of Exercise on Tender Points in Adults with Fibromyalgia: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials
1Meta-Analytic Research Group, Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center, Department of Community Medicine, School of Medicine, West Virginia University, P.O. Box 9190, Morgantown, WV 26506-9190, USA
2Department of Orthopaedics and Division of Physical Therapy, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506-9196, USA
Received 14 June 2011; Accepted 12 July 2011
Academic Editor: Shinichi Kawai
Copyright © 2011 George A. Kelley et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- About Fibromyalgia: Prevalence, National Fibromyalgia Association, 2009, http://www.fmaware.org/.
- A. Berger, E. Dukes, S. Martin, J. Edelsberg, and G. Oster, “Characteristics and healthcare costs of patients with fibromyalgia syndrome,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 1498–1508, 2007.
- L. A. Rossy, S. P. Buckelew, N. Dorr et al., “A meta-analysis of fibromyalgia treatment interventions,” Annals of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 180–191, 1999.
- A. J. Busch, K. A. Barber, T. J. Overend, P. M. Peloso, and C. L. Schachter, “Exercise for treating fibromyalgia syndrome,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, p. CD003786, 2007.
- N. Gusi, P. Tomas-Carus, A. Häkkinen, K. Häkkinen, and A. Ortega-Alonso, “Exercise in waist-high warm water decreases pain and improves health-related quality of life and strength in the lower extremities in women with fibromyalgia,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 66–73, 2006.
- J. D. Kingsley, L. B. Panton, T. Toole, P. Sirithienthad, R. Mathis, and V. McMillan, “The effects of a 12-week strength-training program on strength and functionality in women with fibromyalgia,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 86, no. 9, pp. 1713–1721, 2005.
- D. Munguía-Izquierdo and A. Legaz-Arrese, “Exercise in warm water decreases pain and improves cognitive function in middle-aged women with fibromyalgia,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 823–830, 2007.
- H. Valkeinen, K. Häkkinen, A. Pakarinen et al., “Muscle hypertrophy, strength development, and serum hormones during strength training in elderly women with fibromyalgia,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 309–314, 2005.
- G. Gartlehner, R. A. Hansen, D. Nissman, K. N. Lohr, and T. S. Carey, “A simple and valid tool distinguished efficacy from effectiveness studies,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 1040–1048, 2006.
- D. Moher, A. Tsertsvadze, A. C. Tricco et al., “When and how to update systematic reviews,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, p. MR000023, 2008.
- F. Wolfe, H. A. Smythe, M. B. Yunus et al., “The American College of Rheumatology 1990. Criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia. Report of the Multicenter Criteria Committee,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 160–172, 1990.
- N. Tastekin, M. Birtane, and K. Uzunca, “Which of the three different tender points assessment methods is more useful for predicting the severity of fibromyalgia syndrome?” Rheumatology International, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 447–451, 2007.
- F. Wolfe, D. J. Clauw, M. A. Fitzcharles et al., “The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 600–610, 2010.
- S. Vanderschueren, W. P. Van, and B. Morlion, “Fibromyalgia: do not give up the tender point count too easily: comment on the article by Wolfe et al,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 62, pp. 1675–1678, 2010.
- J. Cohen, “Weighted kappa: nominal scale agreement provision for scaled disagreement or partial credit,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 213–220, 1968.
- J. R. Landis and G. G. Koch, “The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data,” Biometrics, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 159–174, 1977.
- J. P. T. Higgins and S. Green, 2009 Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions (version 5.0.2), 2009.
- L. V. Hedges and I. Olkin, Statistical Methods for Meta-Analysis, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1985.
- J. Cohen, “A power primer,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 155–159, 1992.
- J. P. T. Higgins, S. G. Thompson, and D. J. Spiegelhalter, “A re-evaluation of random-effects meta-analysis,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series A, vol. 172, no. 1, pp. 137–159, 2009.
- G. A. Kelley and K. S. Kelley, “Impact of progressive resistance training on lipids and lipoproteins in adults: another look at a meta-analysis using prediction intervals,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 473–475, 2009.
- J. P. T. Higgins, S. G. Thompson, J. J. Deeks, and D. G. Altman, “Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses,” British Medical Journal, vol. 327, no. 7414, pp. 557–560, 2003.
- M. Egger, G. D. Smith, M. Schneider, and C. Minder, “Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test,” British Medical Journal, vol. 315, no. 7109, pp. 629–634, 1997.
- A. W. Chan, A. Hróbjartsson, M. T. Haahr, P. C. Gøtzsche, and D. G. Altman, “Empirical evidence for selective reporting of outcomes in randomized trials: comparison of protocols to published articles,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 291, no. 20, pp. 2457–2465, 2004.
- A. W. Chan, K. Krleza-Jeric, I. Schmid, and D. G. Altman, “Outcome reporting bias in randomized trials funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 171, pp. 735–740, 2004.
- J. A. C. Sterne, D. Gavaghan, and M. Egger, “Publication and related bias in meta-analysis: power of statistical tests and prevalence in the literature,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 1119–1129, 2000.
- L. Irwig, P. Macaskill, G. Berry, and P. Glasziou, “Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. Graphical test is itself biased,” British Medical Journal, vol. 316, no. 7129, pp. 470–471, 1998.
- R. M. Harbord, R. J. Harris, and J. A. C. Sterne, “Updated tests for small-study effects in meta-analyses,” Stata Journal, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 197–210, 2009.
- J. Lau, C. H. Schmid, and T. C. Chalmers, “Cumulative meta-analysis of clinical trials builds evidence for exemplary medical care,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 45–57, 1995.
- R. J. Harris, M. J. Bradburn, J. J. Deeks, D. G. Altman, R. M. Harbord, and J. A. C. Sterne, “Metan: fixed- and random-effects meta-analysis,” Stata Journal, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 3–28, 2008.
- Stata/SE for Windows, (11.0), Stata Corporation LP, College Station, Tex, USA, 2009.
- Biostat, Comprehensive meta-analysis, (2.2), Englewood, NJ, USA, 2006.
- PASW, PASW for Windows, (18.0), IBM, Chicago, III, USA.
- S. E. Gowans, A. Dehueck, S. Voss, A. Silaj, S. E. Abbey, and W. J. Reynolds, “Effect of a randomized, controlled trial of exercise on mood and physical function in individuals with fibromyalgia,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 519–529, 2001.
- A. Hakkinen, T. Sokka, A. Kotaniemi, and P. Hannonen, “A randomized two-year study of the effects of dynamic strength training on muscle strength, disease activity, functional capacity, and bone mineral density in early rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 515–522, 2001.
- S. J. King, J. Wessel, Y. Bhambhani, D. Sholter, and W. Maksymowych, “The effects of exercise and education, individually or combined, in women with fibromyalgia,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 2620–2627, 2002.
- C. L. Schachter, A. J. Busch, P. M. Peloso, and M. S. Sheppard, “Effects of short versus long bouts of aerobic exercise in sedentary women with fibromyalgia: a randomized controlled trial,” Physical Therapy, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 340–358, 2003.
- S. H. Wigers, T. C. Stiles, and P. A. Vogel, “Effects of Aerobic Exercise Versus Stress Management Treatment in Fibromyalgia: a 4.5 year prospective study,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 77–86, 1996.
- M. H. Katz, Multivariable Analysis: A Practical Guide for Clinicians, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- D. A. Marcus, “Fibromyalgia: diagnosis and treatment options,” Gender Medicine, vol. 6, supplement 2, pp. 139–151, 2009.
- B. K. Pedersen and B. Saltin, “Evidence for prescribing exercise as therapy in chronic disease,” Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 3–63, 2006.
- G. A. Kelley, K. S. Kelley, J. M. Hootman, and D. L. Jones, “Exercise and global well-being in community-dwelling adults with fibromyalgia: a systematic review with meta-analysis,” BMC Public Health, vol. 10, article no. 198, 2010.
- S. F. Carville, S. Arendt-Nielsen, H. Bliddal et al., “EULAR evidence-based recommendations for the management of fibromyalgia syndrome,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 536–541, 2008.
- L. M. Arnold, “Strategies for Managing Fibromyalgia,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 122, no. 12, pp. S31–S43, 2009.
- K. D. Jones, S. R. Clark, and R. M. Bennett, “Prescribing exercise for people with fibromyalgia,” American Association of Critical Care Nurses Clinical Issues, vol. 13, pp. 277–293, 2002.
- J. H. Littell, J. Corcoran, and V. Pillai, Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analysis, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- R. D. Riley, P. C. Lambert, and G. Abo-Zaid, “Meta-analysis of individual participant data: rationale, conduct, and reporting,” British Medical Journal, vol. 340, p. c221, 2010.
- L. V. Hedges and T. D. Pigott, “The power of statistical tests in meta-analysis,” Psychological Methods, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 203–217, 2001.
- R. C. Lawrence, D. T. Felson, C. G. Helmick et al., “Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States. Part II,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 26–35, 2008.
- Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee, Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Report, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
- D. G. Bonett, “Meta-analytic interval estimation for standardized and unstandardized mean differences,” Psychological Methods, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 225–238, 2009.
- T. V. Perneger, “What's wrong with Bonferroni adjustments,” British Medical Journal, vol. 316, no. 7139, pp. 1236–1238, 1998.
- K. J. Rothman, “No adjustments are needed for multiple comparisons,” Epidemiology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 43–46, 1990.